Time for an AAR forum?

Mord

We are getting a lot of AARs lately and it would be great if they could be gathered in one place like some other forums have. All this great entertainment is getting buried in the standard forum traffic of bitching, debate and game questions. A one stop spot would be really cool and also a great advertisement for the games themselves. How about it?

Mord.

We are getting a lot of AARs lately and it would be great if they could be gathered in one place like some other forums have. All this great entertainment is getting buried in the standard forum traffic of bitching, debate and game questions. A one stop spot would be really cool and also a great advertisement for the games themselves. How about it?

Mord.

I'll second that motion!

Completely agree with this idea. Was going to suggest it myself but felt too new and inexperienced compared with all you seasoned CM vets. As the author of one such thread I also worry that my recurrent updates might also be bumping other CM threads down-page too quickly on the relevant game fora to the irritation of people who aren't interested in reading about my tactical bumblings.

Plus, as Mord says, it works the other way too and, for those who do want to read them, the updates themselves can get buried pretty quickly.

I was looking up the acronyms AAR and DAR on the net, and discovered that DAR is not listed as an official acronym, unlike AAR.

This is the site that drew my attention to this: http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/DAR

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/AAR

According to this site, unlike AAR, there is no DAR acronym, so i typed "during action report" in Google and could not find it defined as an acronym.

So with that in mind, it seems reasonable to drop DAR as an acronym, and use AAR as the standard acronym for all CM game reports, irrespective of whether the battles are ongoing at the time of reporting, as i assumed DAR's were, or have been completed, as i assumed AAR's were.

I was looking up the acronyms AAR and DAR on the net, and discovered that DAR is not listed as an official acronym, unlike AAR.

I think people just adapted AAR to DAR to make it clear they are writing as they go.

Either that or start using a search-engine-friendly term. AAR only has three letters (d'uh) so the forum engine won't find them :mad:

I have stopped using forum search tool - just give it up and use Google instead I actually find stuff when I do that.

On Google (or in one of their search bars) you can type [ site:battlefront.com ] in front of your desired search terms (not including the []).

On top of that Google is cool with three letter words and allows you to use OR (|). So you can find all the AAR and DARs with this search string (again without the []):

[ site:battlefront.com AAR | DAR ]

Thusly http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Abattlefront.com+AAR|DAR

I think people just adapted AAR to DAR to make it clear they are writing as they go.

I know, i thought it was a reasonable distinction to make, that's why i was a bit shocked to find it wasn't an "official" acronym, it irked the pedant in me, but it serves a purpose, however if an AAR forum was created, i'd happily use AAR as an umbrella term for all action reports.

Yes, an AAR forum would be great. Is there a way to allow only the AAR posters to add to it? We get alot of 'fluff' cluttering up the turn by turn recaps.

Also, I understand the AAR is done during the game, but come on! AAR is the only logical term. Let's get some uniformity here.

Yes, an AAR forum would be great. Is there a way to allow only the AAR posters to add to it? We get alot of 'fluff' cluttering up the turn by turn recaps.

Also, I understand the AAR is done during the game, but come on! AAR is the only logical term. Let's get some uniformity here.

+1

it would be great to read an AAR in it's entirety instead of the 400 accompanying posts.

This is the site that drew my attention to this: http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/DAR

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/AAR

According to this site, unlike AAR, there is no DAR acronym, so i typed "during action report" in Google and could not find it defined as an acronym.

So with that in mind, it seems reasonable to drop DAR as an acronym, and use AAR as the standard acronym for all CM game reports, irrespective of whether the battles are ongoing at the time of reporting, as i assumed DAR's were, or have been completed, as i assumed AAR's were.

noob, you've introduced a whole new level of grogginess to the forums. I'll be the first to sling a disparaging 'grog' comment your way (all in good jest, lest this be misinterpreted):

noob? Feh, acronym grog.

I for one really enjoy the chatter and "fluff" that occurs between turn postings.

A lot of discussion gets initiated because of what is happening in the AAR and I think that is a good thing.

Bil

noob, you've introduced a whole new level of grogginess to the forums. I'll be the first to sling a disparaging 'grog' comment your way (all in good jest, lest this be misinterpreted):

noob? Feh, acronym grog.

If by "level of grogginess" you mean level of pedantry, then you are incorrect on two counts:

1/ There can be no "levels" of pedantry.

2/ Grogginess is a physical state of being, not a mental application, as explained here:http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Grogginess

:)

I for one really enjoy the chatter and "fluff" that occurs between turn postings.

A lot of discussion gets initiated because of what is happening in the AAR and I think that is a good thing.

Bil

I agree, as long as the discussion is pertinent to the AAR, it's once it goes off topic that it can be annoying.