Is there a secret to unbogging?

I'm beginning to suspect that it's an "over time diceroll" thing.

In CMx1 I always used to plot a reverse, but never had enough statistics to know if that helped or not.

In CMBN I've had units bog and immobilise in the same turn as well as bog and unbog - so I have no idea whether differing movement orders makes a difference or not. Usually by the time my PBEM turn has ended, the matter is decided one way or the other.

... so ... which of your highly valuable units in our pbem is bogged ? Enquiring minds need to know ;)

The secret is:

...to install the 1.1 patch (if you haven´t already done so).

I haven´t had any vehicles bog since installing the patch (that might be pure luck, but given the number of boggings I had before, I don´t think so).

And yes: I feel pretty sure that it is a dice roll thing. In my experience, reverse, slow and all that are all equally useless.

I'm beginning to suspect that it's an "over time diceroll" thing.

In CMx1 I always used to plot a reverse, but never had enough statistics to know if that helped or not.

In CMBN I've had units bog and immobilise in the same turn as well as bog and unbog - so I have no idea whether differing movement orders makes a difference or not. Usually by the time my PBEM turn has ended, the matter is decided one way or the other.

... so ... which of your highly valuable units in our pbem is bogged ? Enquiring minds need to know ;)

cancelling the move and throwing it straight into reverse fixed the problem immediately - he's now back in action............

You see that tree near the back of the map Baneman - hes just behind that

The secret is:

...to install the 1.1 patch (if you haven´t already done so).

I haven´t had any vehicles bog since installing the patch (that might be pure luck, but given the number of boggings I had before, I don´t think so).

'Fraid I've got to burst your observer bias bubble there, umlaut, me old Diaeresis. I've had several boggings since 1.1; all comprehensible, mind: tanks and trucks crossing ploughed fields in soggy weather kinda comprehensible (though remembering to use Normal rather than anything faster seems to have largely addressed that little wrinkle - of course that could just be my own observer bias speaking :) ).

I've had *one* since the patch. BF might have over-reacted to the complaints and gone too far the other way.

Hee, hee. No one can win :D

I actually thing they have done quite well. Becoming immobilized is not impossible with the 1.1 patch but you will see it less in dry good conditions. That was the issue before tanks would bog and become immobilized on dry flat terrain. They still get stuck in the mud and fords and when the ground conditions are soggy. The fixed two things - it is now much less likely to end up with an immobilized tank in open, flat, dry ground and driving near the road edge is no longer the most dangerous place to drive a tank.

I actually thing they have done quite well. Becoming immobilized is not impossible with the 1.1 patch but you will see it less in dry good conditions. That was the issue before tanks would bog and become immobilized on dry flat terrain. They still get stuck in the mud and fords and when the ground conditions are soggy. The fixed two things - it is now much less likely to end up with an immobilized tank in open, flat, dry ground and driving near the road edge is no longer the most dangerous place to drive a tank.

This is my experience as well. You only lose a tank to bogging when there is actually some justifiable reason for it to get stuck. Before the patch you could expect to sometimes take 50% of your armor casualties throughout a campaign from tanks getting stuck, especially before the issue with roads was figured out.

Vanir Ausf B,

Are you referring to their speeds? If so, I'm inclined to agree. The Marders and Panthers, in that scenario I write of frequently, seem to move as fast as an M1, whether traversing that ridge in front of the treeline or coming down it and into the wheat fields. I find their cross country mobility breathtaking, and in the case of the Panther, usually deadly, too, since the bloody thing seems to fire on the move more accurately than my armor does while sitting still!

Regards,

John Kettler

The Marders and Panthers, in that scenario I write of frequently...

Regards,

John Kettler

LOL, John, still at it? I see you are now trying to obfuscate that dirty little secret. Must be a guilty conscience, like me and my closet smoking habit!

Wife: What are you doing out in the garage, Dear?

Me: Nothing, just looking for a philips screwdriver.

Vanir Ausf B,

Appreciate the clarification. Bogging hasn't been an issue, in that scenario at least. Speaking of bogging, did you see the "Great Tank Battles" episode on the Military Channel in which they followed the career of a German vet who started in StuG IIIs and ended the war in a Panther. There's a whole sequence showing how real world bogging incidents occurred and were or weren't resolved.

Regards,

John Kettler

mjkerner,

Nope. Just easier than having to type "spoiler alert!" repeatedly and explicitly ID the scenario. Exhaustion leads to brevity--sometimes. Am going to try some new artillery shoot approaches after writing that analysis for the CMBN Wiki thread.

Regards,

John Kettler

Just having you on, old man. I thoroughly enjoy your posts. In a short time, you have definitely become one of the enjoyable characters around here!

I have the patch in installed had a bogged vehicle reverted back to my original Combat Mission Beyond Overlord mind set and said oh well screw it .. but then I checked on the unit a few turns later and the dudes are looking at me like "Hey Slick we are unbogged how about some orders dufus" so I ran them into some panzerfausts ...

but it was cool cause it got unbogged by doing nothing ...

I have the patch in installed had a bogged vehicle reverted back to my original Combat Mission Beyond Overlord mind set and said oh well screw it .. but then I checked on the unit a few turns later and the dudes are looking at me like "Hey Slick we are unbogged how about some orders dufus" so I ran them into some panzerfausts ...

I LOLed...