Hope Some Graphic Issues Have Been Resolved

In CMBN I get a lot of cross hatching (I hope that is the right term) on the tanks depending on what angle they are being viewed from. These are angular lines on the tank that really spoil the effect. Also plowed fields are also distorted when viewed from certain angles. Hopefully these two issues have been corrected in CMFI.

Someone commented that the rendering of the infantry looks improved in CMFI. One of the improvements I would like for infantry animation is the elimination of how they sometimes appear to skate, i.e. their feet do not move but they skate or glide.

Assuming you have a decent graphics card, you may want to get into the 3D controls and reset parameters to "higher quality" etc.

It has nothing to do with the graphics card. Trust me, I have a high-end card and get the ugly shadows and distorted field texture effects so many have seen and reported, even though it's running CMBN at max details.

In CMBN I get a lot of cross hatching (I hope that is the right term) on the tanks depending on what angle they are being viewed from. These are angular lines on the tank that really spoil the effect. Also plowed fields are also distorted when viewed from certain angles. Hopefully these two issues have been corrected in CMFI.

Someone commented that the rendering of the infantry looks improved in CMFI. One of the improvements I would like for infantry animation is the elimination of how they sometimes appear to skate, i.e. their feet do not move but they skate or glide.

Isn't this the 'shadows' issue that the engine has? I find it so unrealistic that I just turn them off. Agree with the infantry movement too. While obviously much improved over CMx1, needs improvement. I'm willing to take these things in a patch further down the road as the changes included in CM:FI are much-needed.

As LukeFF said, its not the video card. I have a HIS 1GB Radeon HD 6870 which I bought about two months ago because my old card was having trouble running CMBN. I also have the settings for CMBN set at "higher quality". The game runs smoothly enough, its just the graphics distortions that I referred to that I hope have been corrected in CMFI.

One of the improvements I would like for infantry animation is the elimination of how they sometimes appear to skate, i.e. their feet do not move but they skate or glide.

They don't appear to skate, they actually do skate, skating into position was standard practice in most armies during WW2, some countries had variations, like the Finnish hop 'n' skate or the US moonwalk, which BF have somehow failed to include !!!

I personally don't think they skate fast enough and will be raising the issue once i've finished testing.

Shadow striping is a known issue with AMD video cards. I wish it weren't.

Skating into position is due to WeGo replay "fudges" in the movement. My memory is that no skating occurs during the actual run-through, or in realtime. (I could be wrong. :) )

Moire patterns in fields: that occurs with nvidia and amd cards. It's ugly, but it's a function of complex factors. (That's an excuse for saying I don't remember the technical reasons for it, but apparently it's very hard to fix.)

Ken

Skating into position is due to WeGo replay "fudges" in the movement.

Ken

Here we go with the revisionist history lesson, i have read numerous accounts of skating into position in combat, so don't start trying to make out it's a bug, BF ought to be complemented for introducing it (albeit flawed) as it's a fact often suppressed by military historians because it makes battles sound silly !!!

Here we go with the revisionist history lesson, i have read numerous accounts of skating into position in combat, so don't start trying to make out it's a bug, BF ought to be complemented for introducing it (albeit flawed) as it's a fact often suppressed by military historians because it makes battles sound silly !!!

The most feared troops of which were the Schlittschuhlaufentruppen, all of whom were capable of executing a perfect Salchow Jump with three revolutions while entering combat and could kill a man at 20 meters with a thrown skate.

The most feared troops of which were the Schlittschuhlaufentruppen, all of whom were capable of executing a perfect Salchow Jump with three revolutions while entering combat and could kill a man at 20 meters with a thrown skate.

Excellent observation ND, but you try and find documentation of that unit in the history books and you will find nothing due to the censorship of an elite that want us to think the war was serious !

Hold on a minute there, I thought this was the Normandy cow patty effect. Are you now telling me that was just a subterfuge to hide an actual secret elite infantry movement?

hehe.....never though of it like that, maybe CMFI will allow troopers to roll along on swathes of dried up balls of sheep ****.

And to make this into a serious thread... some real answers :D

Yes, there is a host of problems relating to shadows and some AMD cards. The original code in CMx2 was doing things it should be doing, the cards didn't hold up their end of the bargain. If we were using DirectX instead of OpenGL maybe support would be better, maybe not. But it would be nice if support was as advertised for both.

The new shader code for CMx2 v2.0 is ground up different. What I mean by different is it's touching on different calls and techniques. These are, apparently, better supported by ATI. That in turn means a lot of the AMD shadow issues have gone away. All of them? I hesitate to use that sort of definite term about anything card related. All they have to do is release a new driver and everything could go to Hell for a while. Happens all the time, unfortunately.

"Skating" is a common problem for any 3D game modeling Human movement. The problem has to do with it being too computationally expensive to have animations created on-the-fly to accurately synch with where the body is at any given moment. If you don't understand what I mean, next time you walk around a room, have a sense of your stride length variations as you move about. You'll find that except for something like a treadmill or a power walk on a track, you'll experience a lot of stride length variations. The only thing we could do is make a ton more animations and have the game round up/down to the nearest stride length for a given distance. There would be much less skating, but there would also be a big hit to the CPU and RAM cumulatively.

Which is why even in $50,000,000 FPS games you'll see skating. From what I can see they minimize it by having separate animations for transitions between different actions. We can do that too, but since we don't have millions of bucks to put into animations it's probably not going to happen any time soon.

Steve