One Button Mouse

Yep, Cmd-Click emulates right-clicking in the Mac version.

That said I've got a $10 two-button mouse that I use with my Macs and I wouldn't leave home without it. Then again I do a fair amount of work in Parallels, which needs a great deal of right-clicking.

Personally, I always use a two-button mouse with my Mac. I agree with Phil - absolutely vital for anything more than casual use of a Mac.

But my friend says that his Macbook Air doesn't have USB ports (something I find hard to believe) so he is stuck with the mouse he has for the time being.

Even Apple's own mice (including both the traditional wired and wireless versions they currently sell) support two-button functionality (and in fact, the wired version supports 4-button functionality, with configurable left and right side buttons as well as top right and left buttons). You control these options in the mouse options panel.

I think some people assume that Apple mice are still only one-button because Apple began to offer this functionality much later than it showed up on Windows based PCs, apparently because Steve Jobs had a pretty strong opinion that the simplicity of the one-button mouse was superior (for better or for worse, he was always an original thinker...). But actually, Apple reversed this position some years ago, and has been shipping their computers with two-button (or more) capable mice, and offering two-button functionality in their the Mac OS, for quite some time now. I don't remember the exact transition date, but IIRC your Apple mouse would have to be at least 4 years old now to not support right-click functionality, maybe more.

And yes, your friend's Mac Air does have a USB port. All current model MBAs have two. The older MBAs (through the mid-2009 models) had only one, but they've always had at least one. These older MBAs probably barely have the horsepower to play CMBN, tho.

He can still "Right Click" on a Mac Laptop

either hold down the "Control" key when clicking

or have two fingers on the trackpad when clicking

(I just tried it on mine to confirm it)

Sorry Guys

Once Again i stand corrected

But I tested it in the OS & Not CM

I use a Microsoft mouse on my MacBook Air. I tried the CMBO demo on it (late 2010 version) and it barely ran with all settings at minimum. You really need a computer with a dedicated graphics card if you want acceptable performance.

So, the answer is get a MacBook Pro and a Microsoft mouse. :)

• 5 months later...
A friend of mine is just starting to play CMBN on his Mac laptop. He only has a one-button mouse. Is there a quick way to end a movement turn without RIGHT-CLICKING?

You've got some answers here already, and some of them are overlapping with my answer, too.

In short:

- End a movement turn without a right-clicking: either press +/- to jump next unit or plot additional movement point and then delete it with backspace.

- OR enable right hand click or remap it to something else than CTRL.

Old really-one-button mouse or laptop or Trackpad:

- Open Apple menu - System Preferences... - Mouse / Trackpad

- Choose your favourite way of using the "second" button.

- Default is CTRL-click, which of course will not work in CMBN because CTRL-click is mapped for quick map movement.

Magic Mouse:

- Open Apple menu - System Preferences... - Mouse

- Enable "second" button by selecting which side (left or right) you want to use.

Magic Mouse and Trackpad - 3rd party approach:

- Instead of using native System Preferences you could download some 3rd party revision like MagicPrefs.

- 3rd party software teaches your pointer to tapdance, fetch your pr0n and cook mean coffee - all at once. They also provide a good possibility of mixing up your pointer to work in reaaaaaally confusing ways, if you don't pay attention to defining the preferences.

All pointer tools - Screen Zoom:

- Out of the scope of original question, but good to know: you might want to remap your screen zooming.

- Screen zooming uses CTRL-mouse scroll by default. It can be quite frustrating if you in the heat of the action accidentally start zooming the sceen in and out...

- Open Apple menu - System Preferences... - Mouse / Trackpad

- Change the Screen Zoom assist button to something more useful, eg. Command ( or ⌘).

Just sayin'

Oh, wouldn't it be nice if we could remap hotkeys in CM? This CTRL madness in Mac (why wasn't it mapped to something else by default?) isn't the only example. I keep on hitting L, U, M and other old keys so often it's ridiculous :D

Cheers,

geekuma