Buddy Aid - getting ammo

I would just like to know what your experience is with buddy aid and getting ammo.

To me it seems that too often you get "big weapons", rather than getting ammo for weapons your pixeltruppen already have. In my current scenario I'm running dangerously low on ammo, but buddy aid is giving me none (that I can tell...), but rather more satchel charges, bazookas, mg:s and such, often without ammo too.

I have a nagging suspicion that you may be onto something...

I'll run a quick test or two. (I'll give a scout team thousands of rounds of ammo from a truck. I'll get a machinegun team to run out of ammo. The scouts will give their lives for this test. What price knowledge? Next, I'll run it again but with a rifle squad rather than a machinegun team (linked vs. loose ammo).)

:)

Ken

There is another problem with Buddy Aid in that at the time it does Buddy Aid it assess if the ammo is available not at the time of death of the individual. So as mentioned on another thread if your buddy with the shreck rockets dies and you don't buddy aid him you get access to the rockets. What IMO should happen is at point of death the program should decide if any ammo survives the death incident and then this shows weather you buddy aid or not....

So currently Shreck team mate dies and shows 2 rockets. As he dies the program should really show if any survived him dying.

FYI I have seen ammo increase from buddy aid, just by small amounts....

There is another problem with Buddy Aid in that at the time it does Buddy Aid it assess if the ammo is available not at the time of death of the individual. So as mentioned on another thread if your buddy with the shreck rockets dies and you don't buddy aid him you get access to the rockets. What IMO should happen is at point of death the program should decide if any ammo survives the death incident and then this shows weather you buddy aid or not....

So currently Shreck team mate dies and shows 2 rockets. As he dies the program should really show if any survived him dying.

FYI I have seen ammo increase from buddy aid, just by small amounts....

I'm confused by your description. Are you saying that you can SHARE ammo from casualties? But, if you then buddy aid that same casualty you do not GAIN the ammo?

I have no problem with not getting ammo off a dead man as it could be damaged when he is hit.

I have a problem in being able to access it if I leave him alone, but when I do buddy aid it disappears.

I would guess in the code for buddy aid it decides what ammo is available and this code is only called when buddy aid is being done. Not sure how easy to switch that process and no big deal if not.

What it does mean is that in some cases you are better off trying to be close enough to nick the ammo but not too close to do buddy aid. (Not sure if that is possible as buddy aid upto the AI...)

I have no problem with not getting ammo off a dead man as it could be damaged when he is hit.

I have a problem in being able to access it if I leave him alone, but when I do buddy aid it disappears.

I would guess in the code for buddy aid it decides what ammo is available and this code is only called when buddy aid is being done. Not sure how easy to switch that process and no big deal if not.

What it does mean is that in some cases you are better off trying to be close enough to nick the ammo but not too close to do buddy aid. (Not sure if that is possible as buddy aid upto the AI...)

Yeah, but if a guy goes down with about 150+ rounds of .30cal ammo and the average buddy-aid only yields about 8-12 rounds, there is a modeling problem.

Not getting ALL of the ammo is understandable ... the ammo could be damaged, not easily accessible (the more likely scenario) .... but CONSISTENTLY only getting 9-12 rounds (or about 10% of total ammo) after spending more than a minute rummaging around a KIA seems like a little code-tweaking might be in order.

Not a major issue ... but annoying non-the-less .... especially with mortar and zook rounds.

Yeah, but if a guy goes down with about 150+ rounds of .30cal ammo and the average buddy-aid only yields about 8-12 rounds, there is a modeling problem.

Not getting ALL of the ammo is understandable ... the ammo could be damaged, not easily accessible (the more likely scenario) .... but CONSISTENTLY only getting 9-12 rounds (or about 10% of total ammo) after spending more than a minute rummaging around a KIA seems like a little code-tweaking might be in order.

Not a major issue ... but annoying non-the-less .... especially with mortar and zook rounds.

Not only annoying, but if you're in a tight spot to get that last mission object and all you need is about 100 rounds, and there are a lot of "buddies" lying around refusing to "hand over" their ammo - it results in failing the mission. :mad:

• 1 month later...

I would just like to chime in here as well. I am playing the Raff Campaign and I am not using the tanks for an added challenge. As you can guess, my boys are going through their ammo quickly hammering those hedgerows. When I go back to do buddy aid (really looking for ammo) on my guys who went down early without firing a shot I only get 3 or 4 rounds. This makes no sense. The guys doing the searching are almost out of ammo so it is not a weight issue. When a guy gets hit with rifle fire (especially from a single shot) we should be able to recover 80% of his ammo I would think. The few rounds being lost to damage/hidden/whatever.

This is a area which I would REALLY like BFC to speak up on in this thread. It would be nice to hear their take.

The other night I had a couple of Piat teams. One team was short one guy and the other guy was running around with a pack full of ammo. The other team was intact, but was down to two rounds. I ran the guy who was carrying the ammo, but no launcher over to the team that was low . . . and nothing happened. They didn't trade ammo. What's up with that? If I had run the low team to a jeep which was carrying ammo I assume they would've stocked up. I'd also like to know why the lone AT guy didn't pick up the PIAT from his injured/dead buddy. I just made the assumption that the weapon was either broken or unreachable. He was carrying a Sten and about four rounds, which he would not share. Jerk!

The game enforcing ammo sharing within HQ organisational groupings proivides a subtle and gentle incentive to keeping platoons together, and towards giving them discrete operational areas. If you do that, then ammo sharing issues pretty much go away.

But, what sometimes happens is that your front line platoons are almost wiped out (for example artillery) and when you bring in your reserves to the fight they will need a lot of ammo, and not being able to pick up small arms ammo from your fallen comrades makes no sense to me.

But, what sometimes happens is that your front line platoons are almost wiped out (for example artillery) and when you bring in your reserves to the fight they will need a lot of ammo, and not being able to pick up small arms ammo from your fallen comrades makes no sense to me.

Hmm something is wrong if your reserves need ammo right away.... They were supposed to be reserves, what did they do with their own ammo?

Honestly, other than hoping to grab a PF or shk round occasionally, my guys aren't usually worrying about scrounging for ammo and if they are it is usually indicative they have been in the firing line too long anyway. Just curious what size scenarios you play that you see this kind of expenditure issue?