Carentan Part I

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovely. And thank god for daylight scenarios. Am sick of night battles. Have to fiddle with my nVidia controls every time to make it like an overcast day just so I can see anything. Then put it all back the way it was before for work or any other game. Why no in-game brightness controls?

LLF: I also love the idea of "historically accurate" sims. But, due to game limitations, I now think them to be practically impossible. One HAS to put all sorts of ahistoric abstractions to sim things that were possible in RL that are simply not available/possible in a game.

Consequently, I don't think that getting hung up on trying to make every detail as "accurate" as possible is really worth it. "Close enuff" is "good enuff" in a game. And that means you can get the scenario released a lot sooner. (Talking about you here, LLF!)

To recreate an historical battle the way it happened is rather difficult. You can model the ground the way it was, you can have an OOB the way it was, but you can not set the individual input that at the time gave a victory and or a defeat.

Tactically speaking some battles were won despites a poor tactical deployment,, only because the men who fought it did overwhelming efforts against an enemy, well deployed but lacking the will to win.

These restrictions do not prevent a designer to do something close to what happen, but in the game a good dice being thrown, at the right time, might change completely the out coming of the battle. Some were won in the past by a stroke of luck coming at the right time.

That is why historians like very much to go over battles, bringing new facts that should have changed from their point of view these battles.

That is somehow, what we are doing when playing an historical scenario. I think that we should firstly enjoy the game and be less strict about the details of that historical battle as long as the scenario is credible and come close to what it was.

To Undercovergeek

Nice map, good work and it looks credible.

Thanks for the comments - i intend to get south of the river done first then hop over into Ingouf Farm, the cabbage patch, and the railway lines the Germans retreated over, and the small village there, at this point id like to trigger the correct OOB reinforcements for the assault on Carentan itself through the very famous crossroads, cafe and broken building 'entrance' - need better house graphics though, and a broken house

Wasn't Carentan held by FJ? Or am I remembering wrong.

no - youre right - but i want to build the map, i cant see a whole lot of mega changes to map building by the time FJs are released and i can go in and change the OOB - as discussed previously in the locked Carentan thread - i hope itll still get played prior to the FJs and then i can refine it when we have them

North of the river is done - had a blast - its a shame the Allies will simply cross Bridge 4 and go on into Carentan - i recreated the Ingouf orchards over on the west that'll never be seen - its a hard life that of the scenario artist!!

Below is west of the bridge - the orchards are over in the western corner - although it looks 'overflooded' all the photos i can find for this area show the flooding to this extent just North of the river - its the river they used for the flooding:-

cmnormandy2012011200280.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and East of the bridge as already seen:-

cmnormandy2012011200282.jpg

LLF: I also love the idea of "historically accurate" sims. But, due to game limitations, I now think them to be practically impossible. One HAS to put all sorts of ahistoric abstractions to sim things that were possible in RL that are simply not available/possible in a game.

Consequently, I don't think that getting hung up on trying to make every detail as "accurate" as possible is really worth it. "Close enuff" is "good enuff" in a game. And that means you can get the scenario released a lot sooner. (Talking about you here, LLF!)

While I agree technically - there is no way to recreate the true fog of war that the comabatants would have faced nor the oddities of "sh*t happens" that can impact the flow of a battle, I nevertheless love the attempts to recreate a situation so I can more fully understand some of the difficulites faced. I think Broadsword and LLF's maps both give a much better feel for that than any generic QB battle will present you. Having experimented with making a Huertgen map gave me a much better feel for the 28th ID divisions fight for Schmidt than any 2D map has been able to present. So keep at it undercovergeek. While I think all will appreciate your work there are those of us who are really into the attempts to recreate histroical situations that really love the extra mile of effort.

I still marvel over LLFs work on Ramadi and look forward to his going back to that for additional scenarios.

For broadsword - i used 3 'type 3' shelters and merged them together, i wanted to create some kind of covered courtyard entrance to the farm and this is the closest i could get, however the engine doesnt like it much and usually deletes one of the shelters:-

cmnormandy2012011620373.jpg

cmnormandy2012011620375.jpg

and the back of Ingouf Farm leading to the orchard and the cafe/village area before reaching the railway lines:-

cmnormandy2012011622333.jpg

Lovely. And thank god for daylight scenarios. Am sick of night battles. Have to fiddle with my nVidia controls every time to make it like an overcast day just so I can see anything. Then put it all back the way it was before for work or any other game. Why no in-game brightness controls?

could you make it so the sun is coming fron the east in the morning to simulate shadows and glare.

Slow going this week, particularly as i want to get the high walled village near the railway lines right - it was very claustrophobic and scary down there:-

cmnormandy2012012023412.jpg

There are definite places on the map for which i can place real life exact locations for which i have good arial photographs - i will build these first and then create the interconnecting fields and roads - this is why the Ingouf Farm seems to be in the middle of nowhere - i need to get its perspective from bridge 4 right and then build the scenery between the two:-

cmnormandy2012012023442.jpg

And then just some particular hot spots on the map im proud of:-

cmnormandy2012012023453.jpg

cmnormandy2012012023461.jpg

cmnormandy2012012023472.jpg

Blimey Undercover for your first map it's superb..infact it would be superb if it was someone 100th map!

I loved the try at a courtyard and that pillared roof. Though I notice one end went into the house at the end..

Amazing work though...really is starting to ooze atmosphere.