Carentan Part I

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To undercovergeek,

Your work on the map is really stunning. Driving on the road close to the Ingouf farm at least once in a month, I can tell you that you are as close to reality (back in '44) that the game graphic rendering permits.

The only thing that puzzle me is the way you are going to handle the scenario of the attack across the narrow causeway leading from the dead man corner to the entrance of Carentan?. That is, if it is done in your scenario. The next assault of the Ingouf farm will be easier to manage considering the ground feature of the close area.

Bravo!

To undercovergeek,

The only thing that puzzle me is the way you are going to handle the scenario of the attack across the narrow causeway leading from the dead man corner to the entrance of Carentan?. That is, if it is done in your scenario. The next assault of the Ingouf farm will be easier to manage considering the ground feature of the close area.

Bravo!

I expect MrUndercovergeek hasn't really thought about that ;) He is getting to into the map creation and it's showing, amazing bit of work.

@ Undercovergeek.

Say beautiful map. just to get my bearings from some black and whites... the 2nd picture shows the Ingouf Farm House... so then to its about 1:00 would that be bridge #1 or #2?

just checking. thanks, I can not wait to upload.

Juergen.

which set of shots are you referring to GhostRider? - if you ignore the compass for the moment, the start of the map is the very north of ingouf farm and there is one stone bridge here and that is bridge number 4 - the last one they crossed before fighting in the farm grounds, then there is the farm and the small village, to be filled in is the surrounding fields and pastures and finally at the south of the map (opposite end to bridge 4) will be the town outskirts

To undercovergeek,

Your work on the map is really stunning. Driving on the road close to the Ingouf farm at least once in a month, I can tell you that you are as close to reality (back in '44) that the game graphic rendering permits.

Bravo!

High praise indeed Snake Eye thanks very much - i want to finish the map before looking at the AI for either side, my main concern, and i will ask for advice on how to limit this, is if the Axis hit the bridge with a few mortar rounds and its destroyed - theres nowhere else to cross - great for the Axis in real life, not so great for the Allies in this game!!!

ill make ingouf farm, the village, a field with a command centre and the outskirts of town the VP areas

To undercovergeek

The 506 PIR was responsible for breaking through the causeway bridges (one was blown by the German retreating)., the 502 PIR being unable to carry on due to its numerous casualties. Once these objectives were overcome, they went toward the Ingouf farm and later to the hill 30 at Pommenaude to secure the high grounds.

The causeway crossing might be very difficult to duplicate for the A.I. That is if the defending German forces are well located as they were at the time. You might have 70% casualties, before getting on the safer ground at the entrance of Carentan.

More, at one time two Germans fighter bombers made a bombing run on the causeway in an attempt to blow the bridges (prior to the blowing of one of the bridge) and succeeded in inflicting huge casualties on the remaining troopers of one Company, releasing what at the time was similar to these days cluster bombs.

I think that the fight against the Ingouf farm and the one for hill 30 and its later defence would be easier for the designer to be made.

Cheers

To undercovergeek

The 506 PIR was responsible for breaking through the causeway bridges (one was blown by the German retreating)., the 502 PIR being unable to carry on due to its numerous casualties. Once these objectives were overcome, they went toward the Ingouf farm and later to the hill 30 at Pommenaude to secure the high grounds.

The causeway crossing might be very difficult to duplicate for the A.I. That is if the defending German forces are well located as they were at the time. You might have 70% casualties, before getting on the safer ground at the entrance of Carentan.

More, at one time two Germans fighter bombers made a bombing run on the causeway in an attempt to blow the bridges (prior to the blowing of one of the bridge) and succeeded in inflicting huge casualties on the remaining troopers of one Company, releasing what at the time was similar to these days cluster bombs.

I think that the fight against the Ingouf farm and the one for hill 30 and its later defence would be easier for the designer to be made.

Cheers

i suppose i can only recreate the OOBs (pretending Heer are FJ for now) and place them in their historic positions around the farm and fiddle with the AI. Where scenarios go from good to great i always read about how a scenario had great surprises and really taxed the player - i want to create that feel - im yet to find out how but i will!

which set of shots are you referring to GhostRider? - if you ignore the compass for the moment, the start of the map is the very north of ingouf farm and there is one stone bridge here and that is bridge number 4 - the last one they crossed before fighting in the farm grounds, then there is the farm and the small village, to be filled in is the surrounding fields and pastures and finally at the south of the map (opposite end to bridge 4) will be the town outskirts

Ahh ok that makes sense, thank you so much for clarifying. I have been in the process of making two maps.. one from Dead mans corner and surrounding area.. and another that follows the road to the NE from Dead mans corner. I have just been getting photos, and doing some leg work on distance using google earth.. some great village road shots, you can follow using their system. Anyways its been 2months and still not finished. Maybe by March...hopefully. when I figure out the best way using flicker I can post some pics.

i suppose i can only recreate the OOBs (pretending Heer are FJ for now) and place them in their historic positions around the farm and fiddle with the AI. Where scenarios go from good to great i always read about how a scenario had great surprises and really taxed the player - i want to create that feel - im yet to find out how but i will!

Yes, you can do it that way. However, having read the official AAR made at the time, I have found that it was rather difficult to figure out how the battle went precisely during the causeway assault. It was something like a mad rush for the exit of the causeway. Things settled down a bit on the other side. The AAR was not to clear either on the German defence positions. The main position was recognized, but the MG’s one seemed to be all other the places, which was not the case.

If you get access to these AAR and read numerous accounts made by 101 veterans from the 506 and 502 you will have a broad idea of what was going on. The same should be done for the German side..

That reminds me of the story of the dead man corner Stuart tank. Different accounts were written besides Burgett’s one. When I read his account, I have difficulties in figuring what happened and knowing the place doesn’t help me at all. There was an explanation a year or so ago that the M5 had been it by a panzerfaust. That arose from a veteran coming back to that place. We are far away from the 88 firing at the tank that Burgett mentioned in his Currahee book (excellent book anyway – the 2 others also). That book should help you getting the feeling and the mood of that causeway crossing and Ingouf battle

For all these reasons if your OOB takes in account troops being depleted (Germans and US ) and not in numerous numbers, I think that you can bring us a pretty good scenario, that will be fought on a very well done map and none the less credible landscape.

Cheers

Maybe use one of the roads that creates a ditch beside the roads? Seeing that was the first place Easy dropped into when the Germans opened fire. But it's really looking great, could become the nr 1 map to download and play in the future. :) If you need people to play test it before you put it out there. I'm all in. :D

Maybe use one of the roads that creates a ditch beside the roads? Seeing that was the first place Easy dropped into when the Germans opened fire. But it's really looking great, could become the nr 1 map to download and play in the future. :) If you need people to play test it before you put it out there. I'm all in. :D

the ditch isnt prominent enough - the only other sacrifice is to have the side of the road fall away and then rise up again but this, i think, will be represented 8 metres further away - ill mess around and have a look - that seems to be the secret to scenario design - try this, load map, try this, load map, try this, load map - i love it

Keep in mind that BOB was an (excellent)cinematic recreation shot in England, not on location.

But it's the only best thing we got in how it looked back than, does anyone know what the position is in Carentan to see if it still looks the same after all those years, because i tried looking on Google Maps, but the town is heavily modernized these days.

But it's the only best thing we got in how it looked back than, does anyone know what the position is in Carentan to see if it still looks the same after all those years, because i tried looking on Google Maps, but the town is heavily modernized these days.

this particular street and approach looks now like any modern t-junction in a town and there is no hill on approach, in fact it is a gentle downwards slope to a yard where the 'cafe de normandie' (not real) stood

this particular street and approach looks now like any modern t-junction in a town and there is no hill on approach, in fact it is a gentle downwards slope to a yard where the 'cafe de normandie' (not real) stood

Recreating this battle based on BOB, is not a bad thing, the show was very accurate in most situations, btw, are you gonna add the Battle Of Bloody Gulch? Or is Carentan the last stop in this map?

Ditches are great -- nice improvement. Just curious: What tile did you line the ditches with and how many meters lower than the road did you lock their elevation?

the tile is rocky - its the nearest i could get to the colourised shots of the terrain on the way into the town. The road starts at 21 and rises to 24 at the peak in the pics - the ditches are locked to be '2' below the road - where the road is 22 the ditch is 20, 23-21, 24-22 - any deeper looked like a huge crevice and the difference wasnt noticable at any other height