GILL ATGM is broken

Boche

Im playing the dutch campaign and have to say the same thing has carried over from SF1, im suprised no one has mentioned it.

The dutch GILL ATGM is completely broken. I havnt done the maths but im getting less than a 10% hit rate in all my launches. The missiles constantly over shoot the target and drop 50-100 meteres behind the target.  We use that ATGM in my unit and although it depends alot on the users skill its nowhere near a less than 10% impact weapon.

I made a small test scenario 400x400 meters, flat, with 10 immobilized T-55 tanks. Let it run four times. On average after around 15 GILL launches the 10 tanks are destroyed. That is how I remember it from earlier games. (Though earlier I played with v2.01 and this test was done in v2.02.)

Edited by Kevin2k

• 6 months later...
5 hours ago, BarendJanNL said:

Great to eventually hear something (official?) about the broken Gill, even better that it will be fixed! What about the Dutch Radio issue and the (CV90) Airburst munition problems?

Known issues, just like the Gill.  I'm not authorized to say more. ;)

1 hour ago, BarendJanNL said:

Reaction from @BFCElvis:

'From the readme file: "* FIXED: Gill ATGM had an abnormally high miss rate against targets in ideal conditions"  '

However, in the last game (with the V2.03 patch) I still needed 20+ Gills to kill 7 vehicles, because the missile often overshoots. Can anyone confirm or deny?

May have just been that one situation. Because it was addressed for the patch I can confirm that it has changed from the last build. I set up a test scenario just to see if there was anything obvious. The Gill teams took out 9 out of 10 tanks in 1 minute. They used a total of 18 rounds. I didn't look closely enough to see if some teams fired at the same tank at the same time or anything like that. I just pressed the red button and looked at the results after a minute. I'll attach my little test scenario but unless you see a pattern of it I'd think their accuracy has been improved.

Gill Test.btt

Very interesting, thanks for your answer! I ran the same test and i had an even better result of 10 out of 10 with all rounds fired en all crew empty after one turn. However, when I counted the missiles beforehand, it were 18 missiles. Am I correct to assume each of the 5 teams had 2 missiles but because of ammo sharing it looked like 18? Still weird how in the other scenario nearly all missiles overshot the targets, I'll have a better look into that.

3 hours ago, BarendJanNL said:

Very interesting, thanks for your answer! I ran the same test and i had an even better result of 10 out of 10 with all rounds fired en all crew empty after one turn. However, when I counted the missiles beforehand, it were 18 missiles. Am I correct to assume each of the 5 teams had 2 missiles but because of ammo sharing it looked like 18? Still weird how in the other scenario nearly all missiles overshot the targets, I'll have a better look into that.

Do you have a save of the scenario which is giving you Gill issues? 

Unfortunately not, it was just a quick test to see if they would work properly. Two factors that may have influenced the effectiveness of the Gill I can imagine are:

- High ground vs low ground, with low ground launches resulting only in overshoot, and high ground resulted in succes.

- The enemy units were placed directly at the edge of the map, so maybe that could be a factor why the Gills failed?

Still have the question of how the Gill would do against the Javelin, as they are from a similar timeframe and use the same guidance for as far as I know.

Anyhow, looking forward to @Aquila-SmartWargames ' play of the 'Back on Tracks' campaign to get more insight of how the Gill functions after the patch.

8 hours ago, BarendJanNL said:

Still have the question of how the Gill would do against the Javelin, as they are from a similar timeframe and use the same guidance for as far as I know

Not really, Gill uses an optical cable to communicate with the IR sensor on the missile during flight, mostly guiding it manually (man in the loop), Thus giving it NLOS (non-line of sight) capability IE you can fire behind cover and hit a target which might be also behind cover. The disadvantage is that human in the loop means that human error can happen.  The Jav on the other end locks the target with the CLU and feeds it to the missile just before launch and then it's completely fire and forget. the disadvantage is that it requires LOS to the target during the targeting phase. also the minimum range of the jav is better (shorter), in CM at least.

Overall in CM the jav is better simply due to the fact that the NLOS capability of gill is not modeled, which is fine cause it's an ancillary weapon system for a specific module after all.

Edited by GladiTimor

3 hours ago, GladiTimor said:

Not really, Gill uses an optical cable to communicate with the IR sensor on the missile during flight, mostly guiding it manually (man in the loop), Thus giving it NLOS (non-line of sight) capability IE you can fire behind cover and hit a target which might be also behind cover. The disadvantage is that human in the loop means that human error can happen.  The Jav on the other end locks the target with the CLU and feeds it to the missile just before launch and then it's completely fire and forget. the disadvantage is that it requires LOS to the target during the targeting phase. also the minimum range of the jav is better (shorter), in CM at least.

Overall in CM the jav is better simply due to the fact that the NLOS capability of gill is not modeled, which is fine cause it's an ancillary weapon system for a specific module after all.

Afaik the Gill also features a fire and forget mode in RL.

8 hours ago, Lethaface said:

Afaik the Gill also features a fire and forget mode in RL.

True and I guess that's how it works in CM. The current problem with advance ATGMs in CM is that the pixeltruppen prioritize the reloading animation which means that you can't make them really fire and forget, rather: "shoot, wait 20 second for the gunner to reload and get killed, then order his assistant gunner to buddy-aid his corpse later"

True that, that was literally the problem I had yesterday in a duel against a Shilka. Miss from a Gill and then just sitting there reloading and waiting to get killed. Would it be possible to clock the time of aiming necessary and then give them a 'target' command while in a for example 15 sec 'pause' command so they will immediately move after firing?