What killed my recon squad ?

Thank you for your answer, i didn't thought at mortar because of the precision of the hits, all on the the same spot just on my squad. I will reload an older save, i had lot of expectations for this recon squad, a part of my plan lied on them.  That said are they so much better than a regular leading squad for recon and artillery calling ?

By the way have you some advices to give about how i deployed my troops ? However i'm not sure the view is good enough to judge effectively.

As the guy that made the map i can state that in places it has some incredibly long sight lines. Not a problem if the historical weather is used (fog/mist and or rain) but in clear daytime conditions you can see an awfully long way in places which makes the defenders job a lot easier, particularly if they have mortars and artillery and well placed spotters and FOO's.

P

4 hours ago, Storko said:

i had lot of expectations for this recon squad, a part of my plan lied on them.  That said are they so much better than a regular leading squad for recon and artillery calling ?

By the way have you some advices to give about how i deployed my troops ? However i'm not sure the view is good enough to judge effectively.

The team getting killed in the video is not a recon team...As described in the UI it is a FORWARD OBSERVER TEAM...That is...a team specifically tasked with calling in artillery/mortar support.

In future games i would recomend you to not use these teams in a 'recon' role...They are to valuable...Move them forward with care through secured terrain...Keep them alive ! ;)

Their greatest benefit is shorter delay time (and greater precision i belive) when it comes to Calling in indirect support...Very useful ! 

Use them for that purpose...

Dang, that is a pretty map. ^_^

If it was mines you would've seen a mine marker appear with the first explosion. That had the look of someone who fell in direct LOS to a mortar team. I can't think of any other weapon chucking HE with that ROF. Rifle grenade fire would've been accompanied by small arms fire.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember playing this campaign, and this map, both of which have been really well done. Hopefully I'm not spoiling anything for anyone, but be aware of the Church steeple off in the distance, in the middle of town. I lost my recon units in the same general area.

21 hours ago, SapperHarvey said:

I remember playing this campaign, and this map, both of which have been really well done. Hopefully I'm not spoiling anything for anyone, but be aware of the Church steeple off in the distance, in the middle of town. I lost my recon units in the same general area.

isn't that the exact nature of a spoiler? :P 

On 9/5/2018 at 1:54 AM, sburke said:
On 8/5/2018 at 4:16 AM, SapperHarvey said:

isn't that the exact nature of a spoiler? :P 

Hopefully I'm not spoiling anything here, but.. that steeple was his father, and it dies in the end.