Armchair General praises Final Blitzkrieg

On 12/17/2016 at 0:35 AM, Aragorn2002 said:

My love affair with CM is like my marriage. In the beginning you love everything about her. In the first years that follow you're beginning to see her flaws, as she's beginning to see yours. The next phase is acceptance and adjusting. Until one day you realize how lucky you've been to have found her and that you will never be able to love another woman again. Voila, that's CM for me.

Or as my buddy says - when you first get married you have sex everywhere, kitchen, living room, bathroom etc.  Later you have sex only in the bedroom where it is nice and comfortable and you can just doze off.  Eventually though you end up only having hallway sex.  That is when you pass each other in the hallway both exclaiming "FU".

Wow... so now Supersampling is ALSO broke in the CMx2 engine?!?! This is a joke! You can't even get rid of the crazy shimmering now without breaking a ton of the textures. I assume there will never be any fix from the devs? Grrr! I just unwisely bought the 4.0 upgrade and battle pack... what was I thinking!?!? :(

I have fun with too many other games to mess them all up for CMx2... I hope that either BF can "fix" the engine or the drivers are corrected. I bet neither happens which is a bummer. Also... all the other games work great and Cmx2 is the one with the tons of graphical issues... hmmm... yeah. /sigh

Edited by AstroCat

6 hours ago, Bloody Bill said:

I just purchased CMFB last night.  I sat down with my beer and pretzels and played the beginner campaign.  I absolutely love this game.   

Wait? Are you saying CMFB is a "beer and pretzels" game? :o

Just kidding - glad you picked it up and in love already.

On 30-12-2016 at 6:26 PM, sburke said:

Or as my buddy says - when you first get married you have sex everywhere, kitchen, living room, bathroom etc.  Later you have sex only in the bedroom where it is nice and comfortable and you can just doze off.  Eventually though you end up only having hallway sex.  That is when you pass each other in the hallway both exclaiming "FU".

:D

I've had some time to think, and I wanted to run something by everyone.

Way back when Shock Force was still the new and exciting entry in the series, there was a big push to get the CMx2 Engine to support multiprocessors.

I think a lot of the complaints about graphical issues would be neutralized if the CMx2 engine were brought up to a more modern hardware capability.

My personal computer runs an AMD FX 8350 which has 8 cores at 4.0Ghz each.

I think if Combat Mission could take advantage of modern multicore cpu's, we would see both a massive increase in framerates, and people with high powered machines could run higher graphics settings.

Anyway, that's what I was thinking.

Happy New Year.

I think if the current engine took advantage of any hardware or driver optimizations at all we wouldn't see this super terrible performance, let alone all the shader issues. But I know it's a lost cause at this point. I'm really just hoping engine 3 isn't as bad.

2 hours ago, SLIM said:

I think if Combat Mission could take advantage of modern multicore cpu's, we would see both a massive increase in framerates, and people with high powered machines could run higher graphics settings.

Load times might be shortened significantly but framerate improvemen's would be marginal.

There are many who are far better informed than I am about these matters, but I have been watching and following this type of thing for many years. What follows are my thoughts on processors and CM.

This game engine is so far removed from the "normal" game engine that it is inappropriate to draw parallels. As far as multi-core processing, I'm all for it. ;) There is a widely accepted view that multi-threaded processing, shared amongst multi-cores, is not a panacea. The programming is very difficult; if one thread takes longer than the others, then they all "hang" until that one catches up. The myriad ways in which one thread is asynchronous with others expand in a geometric manner with more threads. Got an octo-core? That's way more difficult than a dual-core to program. How do you program for both? Or uni-core?

The benefit of multi-core processors seems to be in running different processes (programs) at once. I can game, record the screen (because posterity will want to know how _I_ manage Barkmann at his eponymous corner, no doubt ;) ), run antivirus and keep my emails up to date, all at the same time.

Consoles are designed for specific hardware and software processes and use various shortcuts and tricks. This game needs to be "raw" and have it all. If there are tricks, they will be exposed. Oh, and this game gives EVERY player the ability to make ANY battle. (Try whipping up a Company of Heroes battle, just as an example.)

I have battled, err, "played", on a 2km by 4km map with 4 armored/mech battalions against a similar sized foe, with a level of outgoing firepower in each 60 second slice which was phenomenal. I could track every singe bullet...from any angle and from any position. The AI was determining what every single soldier was seeing, doing, and "feeling", moment by moment, and changing their actions based on that. Did I mention 4 full battalions? On 8 square kilometers?

Processor speed and RAM size seems to help CM. Some solid state drives and interfaces are approaching RAM speeds. That should help feed the processors.

Edited by c3k

On 12/31/2016 at 11:11 AM, Bloody Bill said:

I just purchased CMFB last night.  I sat down with my beer and pretzels and played the beginner campaign.  I absolutely love this game.   

Glad you enjoy it. That's the thing for me, it's an awesome game (all the way back to CMBO) in spite of itself (engine). I just have a hard time not getting bummed thinking how much more awesome it could be if we had the current mechanics but with a modern engine without all the current issues and limitations, especially performance, graphics and sound.

Edited by AstroCat

I do agree and updated modern engine would be fantastic.  There is no other game/simulation out there that even compares to combat mission.  I do really enjoy the game as is but would not be against a smoother game with eye candy :)

I have been around a while but do not comment much.  I have had a lot of people tell me they like the concept of this series just not the look and they don't even give it a try....which is a mistake because combat mission is wonderful.  Would I love to see smooth graphics with more intense immersive detail...Hell ya!  I do not need it to enjoy the game though.  I truly do not know the effort it would take to bring combat mission into 2017 as I enjoy the game as a player but do not know the technical side at all.  I do believe if the series was modernized and eye candy added they would benefit greatly from that.

2 hours ago, AstroCat said:

Glad you enjoy it. That's the thing for me, it's an awesome game (all the way back to CMBO) in spite of itself (engine). I just have a hard time not getting bummed thinking how much more awesome it could be if we had the current mechanics but with a modern engine without all the current issues and limitations, especially performance, graphics and sound.

You can literally (literally) apply this statement to anything in the world. 

"I just have a hard time not getting bummed thinking how much more awesome it could be if we had the current [city of Chicago] but with [everyone living peacefully] without all the current issues and limitations, especially [one of the highest murder rates in the country]"

"I just have a hard time not getting bummed thinking how much more awesome it could be if we had the current mechanics but with a [better space program] without all the current issues and limitations, especially performance, [thrust to weight ratio] and [budgetary restrictions] [We could be on Mars right now!]"

"I just have a hard time not getting bummed thinking how much more awesome it could be if we had the current [food production] but with [no starving people] without all the current issues and limitations, especially [all the starving people]"

"I just have a hard time not getting bummed thinking how much more awesome it could be if we had the current [world order] but with [no war] without all the current issues and limitations, especially [countries fighting over land and people dying]"

Ad infinitum. 

Pointing out and providing evidence to testers of bugs and glitches is well and good. It helps to improve the game and catch things that may have slipped through the net.

Nothing is perfect. Seriously. There will always be more things to improve, tweak, alter and fix. Constantly pointing out that the game is not perfect is useless. Its the same thing as coming onto this forum and constantly telling everyone that the Allies won, or the sky is blue, over and over. We get it. 

Edited by IICptMillerII

It's easy to ridicule someone being reasonable, I guess, even though I was pretty specific how I think the game could be improved. How's this then, man this game really sucks, it could be cool but the devs didn't invest enough in the engine and it totally kills the game for me. What a total waste of money, these guys are the worst. Is that better, is that more to the point? Or is... hey I really like the game but I think they should invest some more resources to bring the game up to modern and reasonable expectations. Seriously... it's the internet so I guess trying to be reasonable isn't allowed. 

Oh and I put in a ton of time testing the game and reporting bugs, especially shader issues... so I'm not just whining, I've tried to help. I've also made sound mods and few texture ones as well... I've been invested since CMBO in the game and it's community... but hey f me... I suppose for getting fed up with lack luster bugged technology. This game isn't just a little off tech wise, it's way off and deserves criticism, especially from long time supporters. 

Added: check out Graviteam Tactics for an indie crew with a much more modern engine... plus it tracks ballistics and a lot of the tech CM does as well, so it's not an impossible inquiry. Not meant as a 1:1 comparison, just a quick example.

Edited by AstroCat

CptMiller is simply pointing out that you will never be happy in the wargaming space unless you manage your expectations.  You are simply not going to get the most detailed, realistic tactical wargame available along with Triple A sound and graphics.  They are arguably mutually exclusive based on resource investment vs. return.

I realize the reality of the economics but it's not the same development space as it was 10 years ago. There are new technologies, crowd funding, Steam distribution, other indie studios doing much higher fidelity presentations in the wargaming/strategy space. I think CM is becoming so insular and closed off it's missing a lot of opportunities. And, if you dare criticize or point anything out you get shot down. So oh well, it will become a smaller and smaller niche within a niche until it's just the old guard and it will slowly die off. This game needs to grow it's customer base, it needs more exposure, and with that new investment becomes possibilities, but some investment needs to be there to make the game attractive to new players (and keep loyal old ones happy). I want the company and game to continue to succeed but it's becoming increasingly frustrating to see it falling further behind with less of a chance for bringing in new customers. Strategy and wargaming gaming isn't as much of a dark horse as it used to be, CM should get it's self out there and get some exposure and don't be afraid to invest some more in the polish that will help bring in new costumers.

Ironically random thread I just came upon: https://www.reddit.com/r/wargame/comments/39x7jk/anyone_here_play_combat_mission/ Small example of how the outside world sees CM... this is from a year ago... 

Edited by AstroCat

8 minutes ago, AstroCat said:

And, if you dare criticize or point anything out you get shot down.

You have spent this entire thread criticizing the game, and the moment someone starts to turn the criticism on you, you claim you're being unjustly discredited? So you can bash the game, but no one dare hit back. Bit hypocritical, no?

7 minutes ago, AstroCat said:

This game needs to grow it's customer base, it needs more exposure, and with that new investment becomes possibilities, but some investment needs to be there to make the game attractive to new players (and keep loyal old ones happy).

According to who, the game developers or you? Assuming you know what is best for BFC is ludicrous, and why you are being "shot down" or whatever. The fact is, you don't know what is best for someone else's company. Claiming you do discredits everything you say. 

13 minutes ago, AstroCat said:

Strategy and wargaming gaming isn't as much of a dark horse as it used to be, CM should get it's self out there and get some exposure and don't be afraid to invest some more in the polish that will help bring in new costumers

Again you are claiming you know what is best for a company you are not apart of based solely on your perception of other companies producing similar products. And the entire argument that "muh graphics is what we need for more peoples" is stupid. I wish there was gore in CM. There is no gore in CM. That does not make CM a terrible, behind the times game. Its just a feature that is not in the game that I personally wish was. I play Steel Beasts. The graphics in that simulator aren't the best either, and there are more than a few people who have performance issues. But that's besides the point of the simulator. I also fly Falcon BMS. You think CM graphics are bad? Check out screenshots of BMS. Its a modded game that was first released in 1998. Yet I still fly it and enjoy it even though its very dated. Why? Because I care way more about what it does than how it looks. 

Besides, CM looks fine. Plenty good for a simulator. And they literally just updated the graphics with the latest upgrade with the new tracers, which I think are great. They also added better infantry TacAI and other improvements. Would you rather them have just applied some stupid ENB to the game to make it look shiny instead of improving the engine? As I said, I care way more about what it does than how it looks. 

21 minutes ago, AstroCat said:

I want the company and game to continue to succeed but it's becoming increasingly frustrating to see it falling further behind with less of a chance for bringing in new customers.

And this is the crux of the matter. You're mad that BFC isn't making THEIR game the way you want it to be, so you're throwing tantrums on their forums. BFC owes you nothing. Not a thing. Just because you bought their game does not mean you get to dictate how they run their business, or how the game is changed. If you don't like the product, you do not have to buy it. You have no right to the product.

So yes, you can continue to have your tantrum, you can post your rants, and you can continue to justify them with your various absurdities, but that's all you can do.

P.S Graviteam Tactics is lame. The graphics are worse than CM, the effects are silly, the animations are god-awful, the controls are terrible, the UI is alien sandscript, and the wars/battles they cover are extremely obscure and boring, except for the Eastern Front titles. 

Feedback and constructive criticism isn't throwing a tantrum but I guess it is here. Fine, if customer feedback is irrelevant to Battlefront, fine it's a waste of my time. I wish them the best since obviously they are the only ones who know anything about anything to do with development, marketing, distribution or strategic planning. Not listening to your long time repeat customers because they are obviously just throwing a selfish tantrum, yep, ok. They don't owe me anything, who said they do? I never did. You are making me into some kind of a caricature... that's not me or my intentions. But I'm not billing hours either so why continue, right? Carry on and make sure not to listen to anything you don't like or agree with, that works every time.

Graviteam has 3 times the number of programmers BFC does. Just sayin'

I actually think CM has fairly good graphics for it's genre, good enough I still put the camera down to level 1 to watch my PBEM turns like a movie. Vein's effects mod helps a lot :)

It's performance does not scale with computing power, which is the source of much criticism. The flip side of that coin is that it runs reasonably well on very old hardware.

So I hope for a better looking/sounding/performing CM engine and I want BF to have a larger growing robust customer base... and some how I'm the one causing the issues. Again the obvious lack of market awareness can tell you CM is headed towards an increasingly closed off customer base where there is ironically a bigger than ever market available. BF can do anything they want, it's their ship and they can steer it anywhere they want. Doesn't mean it's always going in the right direction though.

hint: check the facebook page for Battlefront.

Edited by AstroCat

16 minutes ago, AstroCat said:

So I hope for a better looking/sounding/performing CM engine and I want BF to have a larger growing robust customer base

We all want that and Im sure BF does as well.

17 minutes ago, AstroCat said:

and some how I'm the one causing the issues.

Your not causing the issues, your just responding in an immature and unproductive manner.

20 minutes ago, AstroCat said:

Again the obvious lack of market awareness can tell you CM is headed towards an increasingly closed off customer base

This kind of shows you don't understand, their obvious lack of market awareness has kept them in business for twenty years.Lucky I guess.

23 minutes ago, AstroCat said:

BF can do anything they want, it's their ship

True, and its not the Titanic.

23 minutes ago, AstroCat said:

Doesn't mean it's always going in the right direction though.

True, but I think it is, I think the direction is very exciting.

Battlefront is like a grumpy old man yelling get off my lawn at some kids who offered to mow it for free. You know, because it's been that way for 25 years and that's how they like it... fine, it's your lawn, just trying to help. Oh I've been helping pick the weeds for the last 15 years (25 or so if you include my own lawn) or so but what the heck do I know about your lawn or anyone else's?

Seriously you don't think in this market you couldn't grow CM's business?! Seriously!? You don't give CM enough credit or its potential customers. Sure 15 years ago was 15 years ago, a lot has changed... maybe they were "on it" back then... and it kept them floating but the potential now is much larger.

Oh and I've tried every manner of constructive feedback angle, eventually you get frustrated at lack of development, even for old loyal supporters.

Edited by AstroCat