Armchair General praises Final Blitzkrieg

On 1/4/2017 at 2:31 PM, SgtHatred said:

I have 8 friends I play flight sims with. All 8 own some form of HOTAS joystick, with 4 people investing in the $500 Thrustmaster Warthog, the 4 warthog owners also own ~$100 - $300 rudder pedals. 5 of us own the ~$150 TrackIR set, and 2 of us have Oculus Rifts specifically for flightsims. We play Warthunder, IL2, and DCS, and with the range of planes we use, I'd say the range in module ownership for DCS means we've each put between $100 and $700 into DCS for modules.

$500 for a joystick? A joystick?! Does it come with hot strippers who give free lap dances? Reading that passage by you practically melted my brain. Is it made of hand-forged titanium with precision machined beryllium bearings and platinum and gold accents? Absolutely don't get how a joystick can cost more than all the CM games and related products I ever bought. I shudder to think what your video displays run. "I'll have the 60" concave UHD for $4000, please. I'll need three, no four." Heaven forfend you sart flying MiG-29s or and Su-27,30 or 35, because then you'll needed a helmet mounted sight, too. 

borg,

With you on that one. I'd like very much to see gliders.

IICptMillerII,

Concur. I think animations may be the weakest part of the whole CM franchise, though they have gotten a great deal better over time.

Regards,

John Kettler 

Oh wow a single review on a niche gaming website. Really making leaps and bounds with that "visibility" thing.  Meanwhile, Crusader Kings 2 one of the most complex titles for PC released in the last few years has surpassed 5 million units sold (and they surpassed that mark 2 years ago) with 4,000 players on Steam just last month.  I'm not interested in pursuing anymore CM titles until BF smartens up and moves into the 21st century.

A decade and more ago, there was a pic floating around of a truly dedicated flight simmer. Had built a facsimile cockpit with I think three monitors and all sorts of control goodies. I think he had spent a couple grand on his setup, exclusive of the computer and monitors, in addition to the time and labor.

Michael

7 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Personally I couldn't give a monkey's t*** how many sales CK2 or anything other game has sold. Since when has popularity equaled quality? Mein Kampf sold shedloads, it was still garbage.

It's a clear and obvious demonstration that "niche" or "complex" titles aren't actually "niche" at all.

It's not about quality of the product itself, that stands on its own. It's about visibility. Something that objectively improves quality. More opponents. More maps. More mods. More AAR and DARs. We're sitting here praising a single article in a B-list gamer magazine.

The game doesn't even have an active subreddit.

Edited by rooibos

On 2/25/2017 at 10:29 PM, John Kettler said:

$500 for a joystick? A joystick?! Does it come with hot strippers who give free lap dances? Reading that passage by you practically melted my brain. Is it made of hand-forged titanium with precision machined beryllium bearings and platinum and gold accents? Absolutely don't get how a joystick can cost more than all the CM games and related products I ever bought. I shudder to think what your video displays run. "I'll have the 60" concave UHD for $4000, please. I'll need three, no four." Heaven forfend you sart flying MiG-29s or and Su-27,30 or 35, because then you'll needed a helmet mounted sight, too. 

[...]

Regards,

John Kettler 

Well-built in a niche does not come cheaply. 

I use a 3440x1440 ultrawide curved display, which works fantastically for Combat Mission. Nice and wide field of vision while not getting unreadable without scaling.

Both the TrackIR and Oculus Rift work perfectly as helmet mounted sights. It makes popping off R-73s a blast. Sounds like the DCS F/A-18 will have support for a helmet sight with the AIM-9x as well. Should be fun.

Personally I couldn't give a monkey's t*** how many sales CK2 or anything other game has sold. Since when has popularity equaled quality? Mein Kampf sold shedloads, it was still garbage.

I never thought I would live in a world where a Paradox grand strategy game would be placed on the popular side of the "popular vs quality" debate. lol.

Edited by SgtHatred

15 hours ago, rooibos said:

It's a clear and obvious demonstration that "niche" or "complex" titles aren't actually "niche" at all.

It's not about quality of the product itself, that stands on its own. It's about visibility. Something that objectively improves quality. More opponents. More maps. More mods. More AAR and DARs. We're sitting here praising a single article in a B-list gamer magazine.

The strange thing is that the only person who seems to care about this is you.  Not expecting you to be visiting here long.

If CKII is complex than what a time it is the be alive. ? Entertaining? Certainly, but not complex, even if you're memeing as a no name Greek Duke. 

CKII has but one sole advantage over CM: I can systemically and ruthlessly exterminate the nobility of England and replace them with my Norman yes-men. BFC is sorely lacking in this feature. I am holding out hope for a patch. 

Edited by Rinaldi

16 hours ago, rooibos said:

Something that objectively improves quality. More opponents. More maps. More mods. More AAR and DARs.

But it could easily also mean a dilution of effort as more people mean more disagreements over what directions the game should pursue. There is an optimum size population for any endeavor. Too few and matters stagnate. Too many and it all dissolves into chaos. So far, CM appears to be hitting it about right.

Michael

17 hours ago, rooibos said:

Well, I don't know - how "niche" and/or "complex" is Crusader Kings regarded as being ?

Because there's a huge difference between a grand strategy title and a game that's modelling every bullet etc.

No active subreddit ? That's a damn poor show !
You have identified a major shortcoming of Combat Mission. Go ye forth and create one then - we will all be grateful.

8 minutes ago, Baneman said:

You have identified a major shortcoming of Combat Mission. Go ye forth and create one then - we will all be grateful.

I had to look up what a 'subreddit' was.

Now that I have I can see how having CM on a subreddit would massively increase my enjoyment of the game. :rolleyes:

46 minutes ago, Baneman said:

Well, I don't know - how "niche" and/or "complex" is Crusader Kings regarded as being ?

Because there's a huge difference between a grand strategy title and a game that's modelling every bullet etc.

For the record, it in fact does have a subreddit - just not very active, nor do I ever expect it to be.

The way reddit works, it won't gain any real traction without admin support, and a healthy community independent of the site; like any forum. His temper tantrum is basically white noise, in short.

There's better platforms for discussion of the game, like here, or at SIMHQ.

Edited by Rinaldi

13 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

It is, in the artillery purchase section for QBs, probably in the editor too. But it is always off-map SFAIK.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. On map would be cool. Can you imagine the fun of direct targeting a building form 200m out with the full rack of rockets. Probably totally a historical but cool right!