• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Final Blitzkrieg v1.01 released!   05/21/2016

Once again proving that we don't sleep much, we have just released v1.01 for CM: Final Blitzkrieg.  There's lots of great improvements and fixes now just one download away.  Click HERE to see the release notes and download links.  Thanks to everybody for reporting issues and special thanks to the testers who make sure we don't overlook them.
    • Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them
Raptorx7

CMFB (Unofficial) Screenshot Thread

26 minutes ago, IanL said:

Sigh. Yeah the plan was for the Sherman to be there waiting before you started to move. My crew still got the first shot and first hit. The trouble was all they got was another scratch in the paint.

Yeah, but I knew you were there, so this was more of a trap for you than the other way around. 

11 hours ago, Bud Backer said:

Image%206.jpg

The Wrong Road - from the same map and QB as the previous screenshot; that's the same church-tower from a different angle.

Bud,

Beautiful. Very nice effect.  Excellent use of blur and focus.  Really draws the viewer in to the power of the gun blast.

Heinrich505

13 hours ago, Heinrich505 said:

Bud,

Beautiful. Very nice effect.  Excellent use of blur and focus.  Really draws the viewer in to the power of the gun blast.

Heinrich505

Thanks, Heinrich! I tried it without blur too but I think this worked much better. 

12 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Nice, very nice screenshot.   

Very glad you like it! In retrospect I wish I had caught more of the church steeple. 

Image%204.jpg

Burn Them Out

As the rest of the squad waited, Johannes muttered to himself. "I can't see where the wound is in this damned darkness! What I wouldn't give for some light..."

And as if overheard by someone, the cold dark snowy Ardennes flashed almost as if searchlit. "Ah, there!" he said, ignoring the shrieks of terror from the houses and applied the compress.

Edited by Bud Backer

13 hours ago, Bud Backer said:

Image%204.jpg

Burn Them Out

As the rest of the squad waited, Johannes muttered to himself. "I can't see where the wound is in this damned darkness! What I wouldn't give for some light..."

And as if overheard by someone, the cold dark snowy Ardennes flashed almost as if searchlit. "Ah, there!" he said, ignoring the shrieks of terror from the houses and applied the compress.

Bud, excellent story to go with the screenshot!  This is one of my favorites yet!  

lol!... didn't take the next pic, but 5 mins later I had used this gun to take out 2 Puma's and a Panzer IV... unfortunately the crew didn't live through the battle, as once they had given away their position, they were targeted themselves a little later :(

On May 2, 2016 at 10:56 AM, MOS:96B2P said:

Bud, excellent story to go with the screenshot!  This is one of my favorites yet!  

Thanks, MOS! The lighting effect in a night battle blew me away!

Capt. James Leach is thick in the hell of Singling.  Everything has been wrong from the very beginning.  Col. Abrams orders them to assault the town across a freaking muddy field.  He loses several tanks to bogging in the damn mud.  He only has a few infantry men to support his armor, and he has to reduce the damn town.  Sure Colonel, no problems.  All he can do is try and die.

They’ve finally made it into town.  His tanks are burning.  The Kraut tanks are burning.  Everyone knows that tanks are death traps in towns – he wants to scream this in Abrams’ face.  Most of the infantry are bleeding and holed up in the buildings everywhere.  Cohesion is frayed, command structure almost non-existent, and still the men push on.

Moments before, Sgt. Gray’s Sherman was pushing to his left, and the Captain watched in horrific fascination as a panzerfaust from a nearby building ignited and flew in slow motion right into the front hull of Gray’s tank.  There was a terrible explosion and flames everywhere.  He saw the hatches open – probably blown open from the blast pressure - and no one got out.  Bastards…

Over the radio net he hears that there are Tiger tanks on the street just to his right, blocked from his view by a large building complex.  Infantry!  Everything is Tigers to them.  Must be Panthers, he thinks.  He can’t get to the street as he is in the back yard.  He calls for Sgt. Pixley, one of his last 76mm gun Shermans to come back from the right flank and try to clear the road.

2v00hgy.jpg

Suddenly his bow gunner shouts out, “Krauts, Krauts, Krauts, 2 o’clock,” and he starts firing his bow machine gun.  MG smoke billows through the tank interior.

16jj6n8.jpg

Cpt. Leach sees them now, a whole slew of them.  So far he’s only seen one or two at a time, but this bunch must have been spooked and they are fleeing from the very building he was sitting next to.  One falls to the machine gun fire.  The Captain sees that one of the enemy soldiers has a panzerfaust draped over his shoulder.  The Captain involuntarily shudders and shouts over the intercom, “Get the one with the damn ‘faust.”

qznlnq.jpg

The gunner calls “Target” and Cpt. Leach yells “Fire!”  The tank recoils and he catches a glimpse of the explosion as the HE shell shreds more of the running enemy soldiers.  Then his view is obscured by the smoke and gases from the shell.  He hears the solid clang as the empty shell hits the turret floor.  The next round is already being slammed home.

23jipfl.jpg

His bow gunner is on a roll, and before another shell can be fired at the enemy, the last one is torn apart from the bow gunner’s aim.

2r5bvyw.jpg

The bodies lay silent on the cold wet ground, heat steaming off their corpses as they cool quickly.  His crew is at peak adrenaline alert now, everyone scanning for more targets.  This was really close, the Captain thinks to himself.  Any one of them could have turned left and run straight at his tank, throwing grenades, or firing that panzerfaust.

But, they turned right, away from his tank, giving his crew the perfect turkey shoot.  He can hear the men breathing hard.  Death brushed by them this time, ghostly nails scratching gently against the hull of his steel beast, but touched the German soldiers instead of his crew.

The war goes on…

Heinrich505

20 minutes ago, Heinrich505 said:

Raptorx7,

Thanks.  They are still there with about 19 minutes left in the battle.

Heinrich505

Ahh, Singling... Great battle, and you're making great use of it! :)