Bud's Russian Attack AAR: Красная молния

Minute 40-39 Part Three:

The last things I want to point out before the "real" fight begins and I start advancing into KT 1:

At the end of the turn, the remaining BA-64B once again shows it has eyes like a hawk wearing a laser rangefinder and thermal vision goggles....

AM-JKLWoBu4lABzwyqmedWdZ4BXP7kMPBlQrQLYb

RU067

As we follow the road toward the row of buildings behind KT 1, we see...a dude with a rifle running from west to east. Reinforcements for KT 1? Is my enemy moving units because of the loss of his squad in the woods? I wonder...

AM-JKLXfQpWGLcf9nGqO_H6fIRtfAhqBPjNskTOJ

RU068

I just wish I had that armoured car's crew in CMBS when playing the Russians. All my spotting problems would be solved!

Anyway...

The Soviets chose the 122mm gun for the IS-2 over the better-performing 100mm they had (and later used on the SU-100) because of the considerable HE capability of the 122. The 100 had better ballistic performance, but the 122 was judged to be adequate to defeat the German heavy tanks yet it was also a potent piece of field artillery - and fairly mobile at that. The slow loading (I'll be happy if I get off three and more likely two shots a minute) is one disadvantage, the other is the low ammo loadout (18 HE, 10 AP). You can see what the Soviets prioritized by the proportions of the two. I'm counting on the fact that what I hit will be seriously hurt, and plan to keep these beasties at a distance, so they can take their time.

So aside from the questions in my opponent's head I hope the IS-2 on AOA 1 in the west raises, I think it will be handy in blasting enemy targets on KT 1 from a safe distance. The soonest I can land the second half of my Rocket artillery is 9 minutes, so I am counting on my tanks for HE support in a big way.

Here you can see the IS-2 has reached the western end of the deploy area and will now climb the ridge to join 3/3 squad and the all-seeing armoured car.

AM-JKLWzg1YwyFjfA_XJSqGp0Rb81XIuRIR0MG6l

RU069

Edited by Bud Backer

You're in danger, Bud. You are piling into that little eastern wood with too many guys. Your enemy knows you're there, and the contact in the woods up ahead is likely to be an artillery spotter. Better push on quickly, especially while the rocket smoke lingers.

I was thinking the same thing...he might have a field day dropping a load of arty on those woods.

The smoke you mentioned didn't even last the full minute in which they landed. I was surprised by that.

Another thing that concerns me is if in the trees behind the place where I saw that contact (what you suggest could be a spotter) there may be enemy ATG or worse, armour.

The smoke you mentioned didn't even last the full minute in which they landed. I was surprised by that.

Yes, that's a bit disappointing.. I think in real life, smoke from such a barrage would linger quite a lot longer. But that's my hunch, I don't have anything to back it up.

In any case, I think it would be more interesting if artillery smoke stayed longer, more gameplay options.

I wonder if he has any TRPs. Displacing so early...either he's doing it because he wants to be deployed in depth, realizes you most likely have supporting armor, or is sucking you onto a TRP - a tactic I love and despise at one and the same time.

I wonder if he has any TRPs. Displacing so early...either he's doing it because he wants to be deployed in depth, realizes you most likely have supporting armor, or is sucking you onto a TRP - a tactic I love and despise at one and the same time.

Except he appears, if I'm reading this right, to be displacing toward me. My estimation is this is a reaction to what is going to appear to him (correctly) as my major effort taking place southeast of KT 1. The fact I'm getting no sound contacts of vehicles worries me. It suggests they are already in position.

We shall see...

Yes, that's a bit disappointing.. I think in real life, smoke from such a barrage would linger quite a lot longer. But that's my hunch, I don't have anything to back it up.

In any case, I think it would be more interesting if artillery smoke stayed longer, more gameplay options.

You're probably right. I was not counting on smoke from the barrage, but it seems reasonable to expect it to linger a minute or two after the barrage ends. *shrug*

Gotta play with the hand I'm dealt with ;)

Clearly your armored car boys didn't get in on the Vodka last nighty because they were washing the commissar's car.  Now fear is increasing their spotting ability, especially after their partner got smoked.  They didn't do the hubcaps and they are thinking they are toast now, because they are being punished by being pushed so far forward....war is hell... :P

Great job on your narrative and screenies.  I always learn more new stuff with these AARs. 

Heinrich505

Great write-up Bud; its becoming the start of my daily read at work!

Just want to say that I'm new here, and haven't as yet purchased any game; still trying to find the time to work through the various demo versions, to find the one that really grabs me (bub on the way, so spare time will be next to zero, so no chance of affording/playing multiple CM's for MANY years...).

But it's nice to find an AAR that has started after I joined the forum, so I can read it in 'real-time' (as opposed to playing catch up with 10 or 20 pages of old posts before I get the to the current one).

I'm learning lots as well!  many thanks and keep it up.

(OT: Gnarly, if you have a "bub" on the way, this is the PERFECT time to buy all the CM games! Think of all the late night bonding that can occur. Do it. If your wife gets angry, just tell her you forgive her because you know it's only the hormones talking. ;)  )

Obviously, we need more screenshots!

This AAR has made me think a bit more about tactics.. You seem to want to do a glorious tank charge, but at the same time, you're trying to slowly probe. I'm wondering if you could have timed the rockets to cover you and gone all-out charging on the first turn.

I think pre-planned artillery generally comes in 15-30 seconds into first turn, and fall for about 20 seconds, so maybe it would be possible to plot movement paths for the tanks and the tank riders, with an initial pause of, say 30 seconds, then have them charge ahead and arrive just as the rockets stop falling. The shocked and dazed defenders would be completely overrun by tanks roaring out of the smoke and dust.

Risky if you arrive a bit too early.. but would be glorious if you could pull it off! :)

Of course, you would risk that the position was empty.. but hey, at least you would have arrived in style.

Edited by Bulletpoint

Clearly your armored car boys didn't get in on the Vodka last nighty because they were washing the commissar's car.  Now fear is increasing their spotting ability, especially after their partner got smoked.  They didn't do the hubcaps and they are thinking they are toast now, because they are being punished by being pushed so far forward....war is hell... :P

Great job on your narrative and screenies.  I always learn more new stuff with these AARs. 

Heinrich505

You may be right - or maybe they just want to make me proud before they die uselessly! 

I'm learning a lot as well - thankfully everyone has been quite gentle with their critiques! 

Edited by Bud_B

Great write-up Bud; its becoming the start of my daily read at work!

Just want to say that I'm new here, and haven't as yet purchased any game; still trying to find the time to work through the various demo versions, to find the one that really grabs me (bub on the way, so spare time will be next to zero, so no chance of affording/playing multiple CM's for MANY years...).

But it's nice to find an AAR that has started after I joined the forum, so I can read it in 'real-time' (as opposed to playing catch up with 10 or 20 pages of old posts before I get the to the current one).

I'm learning lots as well!  many thanks and keep it up.

I'm afraid the last two days of the week must have been dull at work then, gnarly. It's always a pleasure to hear from people new to the game - and that what they're reading is worth their time. I hope you do make a choice, even if its only one CM game - I doubt you'll regret it and you already are meeting the people you might play right here. :)

I know what you mean about reading an "active" AAR. I read a whole bunch of AARs here well after they were written. It's interesting to see that even a year or more later, people are commenting on those threads - clearly the Beta AARs truly left a strong impression. They certainly did on me. Bil and Pnzrldr's CMBS beta AAR were what convinced me this was a game I really could not pass up - I didn't want to go to the modern era, but reading that stuff made it irresistible. 

Edited by Bud_B

This AAR has made me think a bit more about tactics.. You seem to want to do a glorious tank charge, but at the same time, you're trying to slowly probe. I'm wondering if you could have timed the rockets to cover you and gone all-out charging on the first turn.

I think pre-planned artillery generally comes in 15-30 seconds into first turn, and fall for about 20 seconds, so maybe it would be possible to plot movement paths for the tanks and the tank riders, with an initial pause of, say 30 seconds, then have them charge ahead and arrive just as the rockets stop falling. The shocked and dazed defenders would be completely overrun by tanks roaring out of the smoke and dust.

Risky if you arrive a bit too early.. but would be glorious if you could pull it off! :)

Of course, you would risk that the position was empty.. but hey, at least you would have arrived in style.

Haha you're talking just my sort of thing. A guns blazing, T34-led body slam into the enemy. I used to play that way a lot (talking other games here, but all WW2). And against the opponent I'm fighting here, it used to work really well. Then he stopped fearing it and began planning for it and I lost lots of tanks and other useful units over the years. So I realized that as glorious it is to charge like mad, and count on élan and speed to win, it ain't gonna fly. And believe me, I miss the days when a company of tanks struck my enemy with terror! I am just not convinced that even with good timing I could afford the necessary artillery to cover most of the areas where he could be lying in wait for me to run in the open. 

Your observation is actually very good. I think this is exactly a combination of what you say, a tank-rush and a probe. The rush will probably be in shorter bounds than an all-out one. And the probe will not be quite as well orchestrated as I think it should be. Still learning stuff, y'know? ;)

Damn Bud, the AAR can wait.  Take care of your wife and yourself... I think most of us have had loved ones, or have themselves, gone through chemo... not pleasant.  Best of luck to her.

What Bil said. Family comes waaaay before this.

Bud, So sorry to hear that.  Take all the delays you need.  Your CM friends will be here. 

Thoughts and prayers Bud, family first.

Sorry to hear that Bud. All the best.

Really sorry to hear that, Bud. Hope things go well for you both.

Guys (and everyone reading);

Thank you for your support. I was reluctant to bring up the situation - seems like asking for pity or simply TMI and neither is my intent. Its a stressful situation, terrifying actually, but prognosis is good. All I wanted to express was that my schedule is erratic and the stress can be quite fatiguing. I'm not stopping this AAR, there is no reason to. Stick with me gents, I have more learnin' to do with your help! :)