Bud's Russian Attack AAR: Красная молния

Minute 30-29

AOA 1

While 1st & 2nd Squad 3rd Platoon remain in the woods on KT 2 in case my opponent sends AT teams to attack my bombarding tanks, the nearby BA-64 armoured car, along with the one of the two JS-IIs, continue to lay suppressive fire on the trees and houses ahead. You can see the target orders, aimed at areas where I have contacts and haven’t fired on thus far. 

One JS-II is not given any orders, leaving it free to reacts to any targets of opportunity, or more importantly, enemy armour. 

AM-JKLU-olt8k6R1pEyNGQt9wJNDaoQumot0fMPU

RU158

The Regimental HQ and company HQ T34/85s, loaded with 3rd Tankodesantniki Platoon HQ, 3rd Squad 3rd Platoon and 3rd Squad 2nd Platoon, start rolling toward the houses at the edge of town. The tanks and armoured cars bombard their targets, including the infantry hugging a fence line behind the first row of houses. 

I’ve suffered not a single loss on AoA 1 since the start of the battle. 

AM-JKLVTNeb2Dvc6iG9t0feCskfncDxuWtK9OJos

RU159

AOA 2

Nothing is ever easy on A0A 2. Nothing.

While waiting for my moves from last turn to finish, including infantry and tanks repositioning in the woods to the right, off-camera, 1st Platoon HQ T34/85 reacquires the German infantry unit still trying to creep more into the centre of town.

AM-JKLW2cfAh5Oi4Oud_tLeyiOW9ZvS7ACt1xX3N

RU160

It gets a target order…

AM-JKLVqmn1CQCM3ADn7Ed7ntwnzxt9_Vd4owGIp

RU161

The shot falls short and enemy dives to the ground. The T34 reloads.

AM-JKLVO6tWMUwdYzLjtoA4awVfoMID6QGP2sbPB

RU162

A follow up shot doesn’t happen as an armour-piercing round hits the Platoon Commander’s tank. The crew is stunned, and before they can try to find out where the shot came from, another hits the tank, destroying it.

AM-JKLUthA8jP-J_WFeDb3MwoS3eLxFwyLYYIoAe

RU163

Any player’s nightmare: where the heck is what just killed my tank???

AM-JKLXAvggmVDUy1NFmAAKE_4U6fWhAwtxkc07l

RU164

This is my first tank loss in the battle.

Edited by Bud Backer

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Clang!  WTF?  Noooo!  :o

I know! I foolishly hoped that the way this was all unfolding that I’d not take any tank losses. I suffered considerable infantry losses earlier but it’s all tapering off as I find my enemy’s units and bombard from long range. I hoped I was going to spot his Marders and take them out as I kept seeing them show up. Ah well…

2 hours ago, Bud Backer said:

I know! I foolishly hoped that the way this was all unfolding that I’d not take any tank losses. I suffered considerable infantry losses earlier but it’s all tapering off as I find my enemy’s units and bombard from long range. I hoped I was going to spot his Marders and take them out as I kept seeing them show up. Ah well…

Kudos to your opponent if he pulled that off with a Marder.

One of my favourite 'things' from my early days messing in the editor was a variant of the demo scenario 'Monster Mash' where I swapped out all the Panthers & Panzergrenadiers for regular infantry, Marders & StuGs.....Playing it as the Germans was incredibly challenging, but every kill really felt like it counted.

34 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Kudos to your opponent if he pulled that off with a Marder.

One of my favourite 'things' from my early days messing in the editor was a variant of the demo scenario 'Monster Mash' where I swapped out all the Panthers & Panzergrenadiers for regular infantry, Marders & StuGs.....Playing it as the Germans was incredibly challenging, but every kill really felt like it counted.

Yep, it was a Marder. He’s a cagey customer, he is.

12 hours ago, Heinrich505 said:

Bud,

I accidentally found that you'd resurrected this post of the AAR.  I'm very happy that your wife is doing well.  

Thanks for continuing this battle.  I am still enjoying it - no problem with delays.  Take your time and do it right.  It's always a treat seeing your work. 

Gary

Thanks! It’s good to see some interest still in this. I know it’s a long time since I started it and I really don’t expect a lot of engagement at this point but I want it to be complete at least for the folks who discover it later on and start at the beginning. 

Thanks for following along.

• 3 weeks later...

Minute 29-28

AOA 1

The plan works perfectly. The Company and Regimental HQ T34/85s, each carrying infantry, move at full speed toward the houses ahead. No one fires on them. The other vehicles fire or engage targets of opportunity, like the infantry team that resurfaces far ahead of the JS-II. 1st Squad 3rd Platoon moves along KT1, sticking to the woods to get closer to the JS-IIs and 2nd Squad.

On the distant right, in a pall of smoke and dust, you can see the knocked out T34/85 just before its crew abandons it.

AM-JKLWm_nU6q37j9WEJDXTkZUOeD1m_jnkekSkL

RU 165

Arriving first, 3rd Squad jumps off the Company HQ T34/85 and rushes into the nearby house. It will provide cover for the men, but equally important, it has windows that from the upper level will give great observation deep into enemy territory.

AM-JKLXtWO5rIK3g8dlc1s2rrEvltRjCcuAbWDYl

RU 166

As the second T34/85 arrives, taking cover behind a barn previously blasted by a JS-II, a panzerschreck team is discovered among the trees and shrubs between the barn and the nearest enemy-held house. 3rd Squad 2nd Platoon is in the house behind the barn and marked by the diamond.

AM-JKLUbSPpKyMTP8Il8ZejjLXDqNFwMXl2L73f5

RU 167

To my surprise, the HMG team that fled earlier from the JS-II’s large HE shells reappears, not far from its original position and opens fire on the squad in the house. They duck, and sight of the panzerschreck is lost. Not good.

The cowering infantry took some casualties from the JS-II and remains rooted to their tiny patch of grass.

AM-JKLXGcW5uTLLSZYV8zIE5WN2byzacuPyssmP3

RU 168

The men of 3rd Squad 2nd Platoon are ordered out of the house to quickly locate the panzerschreck team. The moment they step out the door they spot them and open fire. I keep both tanks on the far side of the buildings.

AM-JKLXpg2h5hkZqw6dQkClrfIS3h_KspgZk1nLS

RU 169

On 12/10/2021 at 8:41 AM, Monty's Mighty Moustache said:

Just discovered this myself and read from the very beginning. Great stuff and hopefully you'll find the time to finish it.

MMM

Thank you! Not sure if you clicked on the link in my signature but there are other AARs in a different format. If you like modern stuff check out Be Not the Anvil and if you like WWII check out Apache: A Tank's Tale. More on offer in the links in my sig. 

On 12/10/2021 at 8:43 AM, Rinaldi said:

Yes I'm glad to see this is revived. Was pleasantly surprised when I started seeing e-mail notifications for it again.

Hopefully you got the notification for the addition I did today :)