CM Black Sea – BETA Battle Report - Russian Side

Remember T-90AM in game is T-90SM with a domestic name. No T-90AM actually exists, nor do the Russian ground forces have any intention of acquiring T-90AM in the future. Our hypothetical inclusion can assume that with hostilities imminent, a foreign contract production line was redirected to the ground forces.

On M829A4, I've read speculation that RHAe penetration may not have increased vs. M829A3, but rather the focus has been on improving performance against composite armors, heavy ERA and active protection systems, which is why relatively old Relikt is not likely to defeat it. This makes sense as it is believed that M829A3 has already maxed out projectile L/D ratio for the gun, so what is left is the change the projectile composition and how it interacts with various defenses (rather than simple plate).

Be aware that Russia recognizes Relikt is not current generation tech and is not putting it on Armata or any other combat vehicle in service. Instead Armata will have a new generation of ERA and/or NERA/NxRA composite armor.

Which is a massive assumption given that no back-story has been provided on how the T-90AM appears in-game. Given that it has Constellation-2M links, along domestic radios, Arena and TGM's, I wouldn't think it's a foreign contract being pulled. 2A82 is then something plausible, just as the whole T-90AM as a vehicle is in CMBS. ;)  

Many things have been said about M829A4, none of them concrete enough to point us towards a frontal 1 hit kill currently present. Relikt not being current tech is a matter of perspective I suppose. Some say Armata armoring is next-gen, which put's relikt being current generation tech.  

Edited by BTR

Bil,

At this point, that incoming air support is just gonna hafta get some friendly kills. You know that's the way it'll roll. ;)

Love the gif of that BMP getting hit. The forest of crosses which sprouted up is a gut hit...for those who think their pixeltruppen deserve to live. ;)  Brings to mind my first AAV rolling into battle in CMSF. 27 dead inside one tin can. Never again... Or so I've tried.

Enough of the bellyaching about the dead. What are the living going to do???

Bil,

At this point, that incoming air support is just gonna hafta get some friendly kills. You know that's the way it'll roll. ;)

Love the gif of that BMP getting hit. The forest of crosses which sprouted up is a gut hit...for those who think their pixeltruppen deserve to live. ;)  Brings to mind my first AAV rolling into battle in CMSF. 27 dead inside one tin can. Never again... Or so I've tried.

Enough of the bellyaching about the dead. What are the living going to do???

Buddy aid

Bil, 

Battalion HQ and the FAC? A horrible hit, but I think it's credible. Where the Komandir is, there also you will find all the key support personnel, with the FAC at or near the top of that list. When the Komandir needs air support, he needs it right now, not with the vital FAC in the next track. I still would like to see an internal arrangement drawing and pics of the the interior of the BMP-2K.

agusto,

Those (retches) tanks are, hands down, the worst movie tanks I've ever seen. Period. Frankly, they remind me of a Quad Trac I saw back in my paintball days, said ATV enclosed in plywood sheets with vision cum firing ports let into them. The scene, though, was pretty cool, and that one guy had better rally or find either his CO or the politruk/commissar conducting Tokarev TT terminal lethality studies on him very soon. What movie was the clip from, please?

Regards,

John Kettler 

Edited by John Kettler

Just met Scott for lunch (we work about 20 minutes apart), and we discussed how to improve this scenario specifically... some of the points we talked about:

1. Give the Ukrainian MRC a platoon of T-64s in support
  2. Insure the US Scout platoon supporting the Ukr. MRC have their support (or some of it).. Scott was especially adamant about this... I say nay  ;)
  3. Give the Russian force some dismounted ATGM teams.. I would replace the Khrizantema section with 3 or 4 dismounted teams 
  4. Reduce the US reinforcements to one single Company team.. preferably infantry heavy (two Bradley Platoons, one M1 platoon) - that change alone would make this scenario a nail biter at this point

That's pretty much it.. we both think the scenario design and the situation presented is unique and challenging... but it does require some tweaks.. but with those it could be one of the most memorable in the game (if it's included).  Hopefully The Teacher is reading this.

One more thing.. from our discussions it was clear to me that Scott has no clue that my Assault Company is coming for his units in the town... won't he be surprised when they pop into view a couple hundred meters from the Town Hall objective?   B)  

One more thing.. from our discussions it was clear to me that Scott has no clue that my Assault Company is coming for his units in the town... won't he be surprised when they pop into view a couple hundred meters from the Town Hall objective?   B)  

Are you sure it's not just maskirovka on his part? :P

Oh right... I guess that means my second needs to take over the game now.. Ian, I think that's you!!  I will forward my password to you forthwith.   B)

Sweet I am totally up for it I await your PM :D

Whew! Talk about being handed a hot potato...that one is still smoking.

Got my oven mits at the ready :D

Edited by ian.leslie

The Nineteenth Minute

1st and 2nd MRCs goal now is to delay Scott's US Companies as long as possible.. at least until my air support arrives.. that's six more minutes.  With the slow rate of his advance I am hoping that should be doable.  

2nd MRC - I eliminated the final Ukrainian soldier and the last US Scout that were near my forces.  Scott is still moving very slowly, but his Northern Company Team has picked up the pace a little.. he still needs to dig my BMPs and Tunguska out of those gullies though... and I think at this point he is wary of them.

2nd%2BMRC.JPG

1st MRC - remember that my platoon in the gullies is just a screen.. well Scott seems to be mired down in this terrain as his Southern Company Team moved very little, almost like he's taken up a defensive stance.  The M1 on the road caught a fist full of 30mm, I can only hope it caused some damage.. at least I didn't lose anything else on that main highway.

Fist%2BFull%2Bof%2B3omm.gif

Alas, an unseen M1 destroyed one of the two BMPs I have in the gully... the other did manage to withdraw in time.

1st%2BMRC.gif

Power Plant

The attack on the Power Plant is underway.. a new breach was finally opened near the long buildings.  No enemy contact yet.. I don't even know how many troops Scott has in this compound.. can't be many.

Power%2BPlant.JPG

Krichek

Scott continues to push his forces towards my recon elements and away from my Assault Company... I am closing in on his Javelin team, which appears to be on its own in that area.  A tank, a BTR, and a BMP will be joining this effort over the next turn or two.  Another turn before my Assault Company is in position to put fire on the Town Hall objective.

One more thing, I have moved my recon BMP-3 across the river and it, now with an infantry screen  ;) , will be taking the town under fire from yet another direction.. when attacking an enemy, spread him as thin as possible.. then hit him with a concentrated force to break through.

Krichek.JPG

The HMMWV in the image above moved to the outskirts of town and took an RPG round which eliminated this threat.  Keep pushing them in that direction Scott!!  

HMMWV.JPG

Blood Board

Blood%2BBoard.JPG

Edited by Bil Hardenberger

I believe your aggressive move in the beginning was the best move. You seized key terrain and inflicted a serious blow to the Ukrainians.

Even if you had concentrated on the town and even if you had completed that mission before the arrival of the Americans, you would still have to face an overwhelming force, but at long range and with no buffer. Your forces in the woods and gullies will certainly slow him down and maybe even cause some helpful attrition. You might not pull this one out, but I think your strategy gives you the best chance. Either way, thanks for the AAR!

Thanks Frederico.. yeah I think so too.  This scenario is a bit of a Kobayashi Maru scenario for the Russian player, all I can hope to do is cause so many casualties that any victory would be hollow.  I stand behind my decision making to this point.. though in hindsight I could have made some better decisions, like forming the Assault Company two or three turns earlier.. not pushing 2nd MRC so far forward, though they would have died even faster if they had stayed on the hill, even on the reverse slope.. which Scott would have simply driven around.

I appreciate your comments, and you are welcome!!

Edited by Bil Hardenberger

Just met Scott for lunch (we work about 20 minutes apart), and we discussed how to improve this scenario specifically... some of the points we talked about:

<snip>

That's pretty much it.. we both think the scenario design and the situation presented is unique and challenging... but it does require some tweaks.. but with those it could be one of the most memorable in the game (if it's included).  Hopefully The Teacher is reading this.

Isn't it a bit early to decide whether or not the scenario needs adjusting?  Modifying it based on half of one execution seems a little premature, especially while the execution is still ongoing and the people suggesting the adjustments are the players.  I'd suggest it's very difficult at the moment for either of you to view this scenario with anything remotely approaching detachment! :)

It seems to me that the only point that holds any water is the one about the US scouts being able to access at least some OS.  This point is valid because doctrinally, a scout platoon is (extremely?) unlikely to be deployed without at least something it can call on.  Replacing the Khrizantemas with dismounted ATGM teams may also be justified if, as seems to be the case, the game engine does not enable the Khrizantemas to behave realistically.

But, IMO, it's way to early to think about varying the overall force balance.  Sure, both of you seem to be facing some stiff challenges and the game seems headed in a direction that looks like proving less than comfortable, especially for you, Bil, but I still don't think your defeat is yet inevitable.  The rest of the scenario may not be much fun for either of you to play but it's outcome doesn't look like a forgone conclusion to me!

(Am I right in saying that in this scenario, victory points are not awarded for casualties?)

Andy Brown

the kryzanthemas are very difficult to spot at longer than 3000 meters range in the game according to Scott, which is how they should be employed... 1km for these things is point blank and since the game doesnt accurately model them, doubly so !  The map is small for employing such assets effectively and I agree that on a small to medium map, they should be replaced by un-mounted Kornets.