H2HH Users: a question?

Hey folk,

If you're using H2HH, here's a question for you: what proportion of your opponents are also using it?

If you are using dropbox to exchange turns, you'll know that your oppo is using H2HH because it displays the H2HH icon in Other Info:

H2HH.jpg

... I have 6 (real) games going, all of them using dropbox to share (the blue box icon) and 5 out of 6 oppos are using H2HH.

If you are using email to share, you won't know if your oppo is using H2HH unless they told you.

Feedback much appreciated.

GaJ

I'm playing against two opponents and, even though they both use Dropbox (at my suggestion), neither one of them uses H2HH. I've tried to convince them of the benefits, but they don't want to run yet another program on their machine. I think the only way either of them would use it is if it could store and pass passwords to CMBN automatically - which doesn't seem like it will happen any time soon.

Playing 29 CMBN PBEMS - 28 out of 29 use dropbox - of those 28 a total of 28 use the H2HH - around 6 of those users were introduced to H2HH by myself.

Also playing one CMA pbem - oppo is using dropbox but has not yet installed H2HH, although I have asked him to. I am sure he will though.

Before H2HH came out I was actually seriously contemplating giving up CMBN pbem as it was just way too time consuming, but now its 100% go.

I have thanked GAJ on a previous occasion for his work on H2HH - but heres a great public thanks as well. :):):):)

The only suggestion that I have to improve H2HH would be the addition of an extra column. In this column would appear the name of the oppo and his email details - the user would be able to imput this data himself if he wanted to. This would be usefull if your oppo bails and you need to email him about continuing the game. Of course a database of oppos you have played against would be usefull, so that if you play asomebody again at a later stage you can just select his name and his contact details etc would appear automatically. Another nice feature would be the ability to indicate whether its a ladder game or not and on which ladder(s) the player is represented.

Thanks daisy... I've put your suggestion "on the list". One thing that is nearly ready is supporting gmail for file exchange. So for oppos where you are getting their email from gmail, you'll be telling H2HH their email address ... so we have a starting point for this already, and your suggestion is a good extension.

GaJ

Hey GaJ, just downlaoded and set up. Have passed along info to one opponent. The other is taking a short break, but I will pass along when they return.

I have a question for you though. My game with Broadsword had hit a point where we were unable to continue. I had already run HTHH and it knew we were up to file 075. We have started anew with a cut down version of the map and I have started a new PBEM with the name slightly different (it is ver 2). HTHH however doesn't seem to recognize it, possibly because it thinks it is sequentially out of order. How do I restart the entry or rename the file for the game. The game name in HTHH is not a field I can edit, nor can I delete it to restart. Do I need to deinstall and re run?

H2HH is a great program, but I do have a couple of suggestions.

Intuitively, it would make more sense for double clicking on the game file in the H2HH window to start the application rather than bring up the chat window.

Would it be possible to have it play a selected WAV file rather than the generic ding sound when a new file arrives?

H2HH is modable :D

Double click brings up chat because that used to be the only function on that row :)

I agree that arguably double click should run the app. I'm not sure that changing it now is the best thing to do. Maybe if/when we manage to get H2HH actually starting the game, that would be the time for a change, in celebration ;)

GaJ

You know, when I first decided to download it I was skeptical. I am not one of these folks running 2 dozen PBEM games (how in the world do you find the time?) and figured how much work could it possibly save I am only moving files for 2 games. Well I have to say I am singing a different tune now. I finish one, do not have to flip to desk top, I just open the other one. When I complete that I can just hop over to email and give my feedback on the turn. Nice, really nice! Thanks guys.

The only suggestion that I have to improve H2HH would be the addition of an extra column. In this column would appear the name of the oppo and his email details - the user would be able to imput this data himself if he wanted to. This would be usefull if your oppo bails and you need to email him about continuing the game.

Great idea .... :)

Regards,

Doug

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Been playing CMBN PBEM's since the first week I had CMBN (couple weeks after the release) and just started using H2HH two weeks ago with the start of my first matches at The Blitz. Don't know how I ever got by without it!!! Dropbox is great, and took me a while to use that even, but H2HH takes ALL of the hassle out of PBEMs. They should really package both Dropbox and H2HH links/files with every CMBN download to help get the newer folks into playing online. It can be a real challenge to play the AI with the right circumstances and a good scenario designer, but nothing can come close to the experience of playing a live human.