are surrendering troops invulnerable?

Just curiosity - I had a situation tank vs squad. First the tank hits them with MG fire and one of the two remaining guys surenders, the other still shoots. Then they are hit by a HE shell and the one still shooting is dead while the other is unharmed.

Was that a coincidence or is it always like that?

Current game I have some men surrendered out side a building with Americans inside and they seem to be doing fine despite the building being under heavy fire from the rest of my troops.

To me in the situation they would be on ground cowering or would have run several minutes ago, instead they are meekly sat on knees with hands up as a raging fire fight happens around them.

Not a major problem and I accept it as an abstraction but quite an odd situation and something the AI can not deal with. Which is fair enough. Meanwhile in a building opposite to this one I had a team member have enough and throw up his hands next to his team mate who fought on. Then after a minute he looked rather foolish and rejoined the cause and started firing again.

I kinda like the fact that can happen.

I will see how long my men on the other side of the road can last sat out in the open as rounds hit the building around and above them.....

The other day I had a 105mm send a few shots right next to some surrendering Germans and they didn't even get wounded after perhaps 5 HE rounds impacted right next to them (<8m away), not sure what's happening there, but I haven't seen any surrendering troops killed after (I think it was anyhow) the demo, I remember a grenade landed in the middle of some Americans who had just surrendered and they sure didn't make it out.

I have had both Germans and Americans surrender to each other in a firefight. At the same time. No one got hurt by any following fire, and they just stared at each other until my follow-on forces came by to take the Germans prisoner and shame the Company HQ back into action.

It seems that surrendering troops are not vulnerable to artillery, but stray tracked direct fire weapon rounds can intersect the soldier model, causing death.

I believe this is handled the same way as friendly fire. Which is also why those idiots outside my building are still there Holien ;)

Explosives can kill them - bullets wont affect them. And as far as the explosives, we've all seen weird things happen, just as would from an explosion in real life. Sometimes swathes of people get cut down, sometimes its two here, and 3 guys 50 meters away.

What I WOULD like an have noticed in two PBEMs right now is>

In the game with Holien, that building is occupied by my heroic US Army troops. The surrended Nazi swine are kneeling right outside the building (nothin like a .45 caliber barrel in your face to persuade you that 'Hitler Kaputt!'.)

In the other game my brave Panzergrenadiers swept through the dazed remnants of a US unit in a tree line. This tree line had low hedge bordering it (adjacent to an open wheat field, and opens to grass after several meters of light trees and whatnot) and on one side is a HMG 42 team, along with some other assorted Panzergrenadiers. On the other side of this low hedge was the sole survivor in the middle of a heap of his friends bodies.

In BOTH situations, my soldiers sit in place for several turns at least and the PoWs just sit there. So whats the deal? Do you have to be in the same spot to 'capture' them and clear them out? Or can you in the adjacent spot? if you can, is the fact that something is between these two groups stopping them from being captured?

I believe this is handled the same way as friendly fire. Which is also why those idiots outside my building are still there Holien ;)

Explosives can kill them - bullets wont affect them.

This seems to reflect my experiences with them. The last surrenderer I saw get geeked was actually a victim of his own side's HE (from an AT gun shooting at the troops that just overran his position).

In BOTH situations, my soldiers sit in place for several turns at least and the PoWs just sit there. So whats the deal? Do you have to be in the same spot to 'capture' them and clear them out? Or can you in the adjacent spot? if you can, is the fact that something is between these two groups stopping them from being captured?

I think it's just highly variable. I've had teams in good order sat on surrendering troops for several minutes whilst exchanging relatively distant fire from cover before the broken troops actually waved their little flaggie. I've had surrender complete with the nearest team a good 30m away inside a couple of minutes. I'm sure there's something about total visible enemy strength and such which affects it, but there's a biggish RNG factor too, I think.

I agree, there is no special protection. They, themselves, just don't get targeted. Just yesterday, one of my shermans blasted the remaining member of a German squad and it killed his buddy next to him who was surendering. In that same battle one member of another German squad has surrendered to my sniper team. He has been offering his surrender for 3 or 4 minutes now. But it is not safe for my sniper team to come out of hiding. Near as I cam tell the surrendering soldiers only disappear when it has been established that no help is coming and the soldiers they are surendering to really have control of the area.

Actually, in my experience, surrendering troops ARE invulnerable.

But only to troops who KNOW they're surrendering.

Unit A sees enemy troop surrendering. No fire from Unit A will harm the enemy troop. However, Unit B comes along. It spots the surrendering enemy as a "?", then upgredes to "seeing" an enemy unit. It fires. This fire, from Unit B, can and will affect the surrendering enemy.

I've seen surrendering troops get taken out by crossfire for sure. Almost felt sorry for them.

I watched as one of my opponents men surrendered right as a grenade landed at his feet. He didn't make it. I felt a little bad, but the same guy had attempted to surrender before. When my MG unit was wiped out by a Sherman round hit the house they were in, he apparently had second thoughts and continued to scout my position. My troops took offense.

Actually, in my experience, surrendering troops ARE invulnerable.

But only to troops who KNOW they're surrendering.

I do not think that is true at all. Just last turn a member of a German squad was surendering to my sherman when a previously unsaeen member of the same squad popped up. The Sherman crew aimed and fires at the new threat. BOOM both the active and surrendering German soldiers died. The sherman crew could see the surrendering soldier.

If the "pop up" soldier was not surrendering then it's appropriate that the tank fired at him.

The surrendering guy was not being targeted but was merely an accidental "friendly fire" type casualty which does happen a lot in CM2 (as it should).

I agree 100% - I was pointing out that surrendering troops are *not* invulnerable, even to the unit they are surrendering too.

So, "not invulnerable" is the wrong question maybe. The issue is that one cannot deliberately target surrendering units(?) They can be affected by nearby fire from 50 cal and up like any other unit.

I wonder if surrendering units can be affected by a nearby satchel charge BLAST, or if they are invulnerable like friendly troops are?

I am sure they are not protected, I have seen to many gunned down after they surrender.

But I think the game does stop small arms fire from targeting them. So most of mine I have seen killed by small arms fire is within a few seconds after their hands go up. But they still are not safe, but they might be safer than the kneeling position they are shown in.

So units do not target them , but cannon fire is more likely to hit them, thus the reason many think they are only in danger from that.

Personnally, If I see units of mine with their hands up. I am not able to get to them. Then my tanks fire HE rounds at them to end their days. I sure would not be loved by my soldiers, but the enemy will not get their hands on my men.