Anyone having this kind of LOS issue?

I should have clear LOS to this larger building but don't. Is anyone else occasionally seeing issues like this?

CM%252520Normandy%252520NoLOS.jpg

I can clearly see the ground in front and the smaller building to the rear but not the big building.:mad:

CM%252520Normandy%252520LOSbldg.jpg

Neither my mortar crew or the mg crew in the just to the right can see the big building. This is in the Road to Montebourg Campaign.

Ditto. Very annoying when you can see just 1 milimeter ahead of the building but not the building itself. It typically only happens when the LOS is traced from behind some concealment obstacle such as bocage.

Maybe there is a reason for it but for the life of me I can not see it.

The problem is they can't see the center of that action spot. If an enemy unit appears in one of the windows that your unit has LOS to, your unit can fire on that window despite not having LOS to the center of the action spot, however you cannot area target the action spot if you do not have LOS to the center. It was this way in CMSF and there were some threads about it in that forum, but apparently it is not an easy fix, unfortunately.

@ Nik - It as nothing to do with degrees. The MG team on the right can target the leftmost building.

The problem is they can't see the center of that action spot. If an enemy unit appears in one of the windows that your unit has LOS to, your unit can fire on that window despite not having LOS to the center of the action spot, however you cannot area target the action spot if you do not have LOS to the center. It was this way in CMSF and there were some threads about it in that forum, but apparently it is not an easy fix, unfortunately.

@Alan - I don't think it's an action spot issue either. As the second picture shows, I can target the building behind the big building. Any unit should be able to area fire on any building they can see, even if it's just the rooftop. Mortars should be able to area fire on rooftops especially.

In any case, there wasn't one square inch of that big building that was targetable. Not the front, side or roof. The mortar team also could not target the leftmost building. The MG team could target the leftmost building and the smaller building to the right of the big building, but it could not target the Big building in the middle - the one that was most visible.:confused:

Looks to me what we call the "oblique angle" problem, which is most noticeable with big footprint buildings. The problem is the center of the Action Spot, which in this case is the entire footprint of that big building, has to be visible to your unit. Unfortunately, even being off by a little bit nixes LOS/LOF (it is two ways, though, so the enemy doesn't have an advantage). From the screenshot it looks like you just barely don't have LOS to the center of the big building, but just barely have it to the little building behind.

This is an extremely computationally expensive (i.e. hit to the game speed) to fix. However, we are planning on giving it a shot at some point now that the core of the engine is basically complete. We've done a lot of tricks and tweaks to it over the past few years to make it far less likely to happen, but it does still come up from time to time.

This is, IMHO, the last "wart" on the Action Spot system that is worthy of note. We definitely want to see it fully fixed.

Steve

As far as I'm concerned this is a rare and fairly insignificant issue since by targetting just in front of the big building or directly the smaller one the mortar is still very likely to hit the (obscured) target from time to time.

What WOULD be a BIG issue for me would be if the fix eats up computer power and the game becomes slow or even unuseable to me using a six year old single pentium 3.2Ghz pc. Currently the game seems to run seamlessly and almost without limits to size (within reason) or video quality.