Am back after 8 years - can I rejoin the Family?

Hi Guys,

Played CMBO so much from 99-2003. Would sometimes have 8 PBEM games going at once with guys like Blackhorse and many others I have forgotten.

Had every mod and that cool mod/email loader from back in the day. Just never got into ShockForce so was very happy to 'drive by' on Friday and see that CM is BACK. And now, so am I.

I started an intro battle last night and sure like what I am seeing. Couple questions...

-I miss being able to click on HQ and see what units are subordinate to it and what the CnC status is. Is there any way to do that?

-Does this game even need mods with the great graphics?

Anyway, happy to be back. CMBO was a game changer for me a decade ago. As a tanker (am still in reserves) and ASLer, it was a dream come true and I am very happy to be playing again.

Jeff

I am starting to think I should start my own reintroduction thread instead of just diving right in! Welcome back regardless mods. I am using three sound mods: oddball-8's, Capt Mike's (?), and a screams mod (name?). I also use some new unit base mods and will likely install ju-ju's gui mod. Oh, cannot forget vein's tracer mod.

Played two battles last night. On "veteran."

Something that I DONT miss is that agonizing delay when you issue an order and wait and wait to watch your unit follow it. Either I did an amazing job keeping my HQs close to my units or that delay is gone. Because when issued an order and hit 'start turn' they enacted all them immediately.

any thoughts?

Played two battles last night. On "veteran."

Something that I DONT miss is that agonizing delay when you issue an order and wait and wait to watch your unit follow it. Either I did an amazing job keeping my HQs close to my units or that delay is gone. Because when issued an order and hit 'start turn' they enacted all them immediately.

any thoughts?

THAT IS HOW IT IS NOW, NO DELAYS.

But watch out sabout your pinned units, they do not like listening to commands, exspecially move orders

That reminds me of one of the recent CM:BN game reviews. The reviewer lowered the number of stars given because he missed the old command delay. Go figure. :D;)

That would actually be a welcome addition (at higher difficulty levels). A delay between issuing orders and having them received dependent on C2 links, much in the same way that spotting information takes time to be shared.

I suppose the difficulty would be in deciding who exactly has given these orders: That could be anyone from a squad leader to a battalion commander.

"That would actually be a welcome addition (at higher difficulty levels). A delay between issuing orders and having them received dependent on C2 links, much in the same way that spotting information takes time to be shared."

Maybe, but please not the old command delay rules based on the number of way-points which made road movement slower than moving across country. The effect of such a system now, when we can stack orders at way-points, would be awfull. In fact I would argue that it would emasculate the game.

Agree that the new FOW - which is WAY more foggy -evens out the equation. I literally did not know where 70% of hte enemy was until AFTER the battle was over. That is great.

I even assaulted a house with 2 squads that had a german '?' on top of it with that ended up having NO germans. Very realistic.

I need to learn the differences between all the new movement commands now compared to old. IF i recall, there was no 'Hunt' command and such. Wasnt there a 'sneak?'

Jeff

I need to learn the differences between all the new movement commands now compared to old. IF i recall, there was no 'Hunt' command and such. Wasnt there a 'sneak?'

Jeff

Sitting down and spending the 20+ minutes or so to read the command and unit panel info then playing around the interface a little in game was the quickest way to get my feet back on the ground.

IF i recall, there was no 'Hunt' command and such. Wasnt there a 'sneak?'

There was a Hunt command, but it is gone (might possibly be brought back in some form though). The current Hunt command does what the old Move To Contact command used to do. Sneak is gone, but Slow does a lot of the same. It is actually a command to crawl for personnel units, and wears them out very quickly. I'd suggest not having them crawl more than one action spot (8 meters) in one turn unless it is a life or death emergency. Slow for vehicles has them move at the same pace as walking personnel, which can be very handy. Vehicles moving Slowly also may spot better.

Michael

That would actually be a welcome addition (at higher difficulty levels). A delay between issuing orders and having them received dependent on C2 links, much in the same way that spotting information takes time to be shared.

I suppose the difficulty would be in deciding who exactly has given these orders: That could be anyone from a squad leader to a battalion commander.

In most of these Normandy battles the orders are issued at shouting distance. The C2 link is the sergeant shouting or giving hand and arm signals.

Its not like you are getting grand strategic plans delivered over the radio. There really should be no delay for "Joe take your fire team over to the farm building and set up an OP"

There's some pretty detailed discussions about the pros/cons a Command Delay system on this Forum. It's really a more polished version of the debate that raged through the early days of CMx1, but from the other perspective (people arguing we should get rid of it). For now we think the game is overall better without Command Delays, though we still recognize the need for a stiffer penalty on coordination when C2 is all busted up. Lots and lots and LOTS of ideas about this, but nothing has really clicked yet. It is a very complicated and interdependent problem to tackle.

Steve

There's some pretty detailed discussions about the pros/cons a Command Delay system on this Forum. It's really a more polished version of the debate that raged through the early days of CMx1, but from the other perspective (people arguing we should get rid of it). For now we think the game is overall better without Command Delays, though we still recognize the need for a stiffer penalty on coordination when C2 is all busted up. Lots and lots and LOTS of ideas about this, but nothing has really clicked yet. It is a very complicated and interdependent problem to tackle.

Steve

I can see both sides.

The challenge, I think, with so much about CM2, is the East Front.

US/Commonwealth versus German in Normandy is the little chick of Modern Warfare.

Russian units in 1941?.....make C2 connections difficult?...something like that.

(BTW, even BFC, except in mods, did not do WW2 Poland or Germany invading France. Get a move on! You all have work to do, sir.)