New file at the Repository: Fire Brigade (2011-07-03)

Background This CMBN scenario, ‘Firebrigade’, recreates a fictional large scale armoured meeting engagement (about a reduced battalion on each side i,e, several companies) on the Eastern Front in late July 1944. In this scenario US forces represent a Soviet armoured forward detachment that has been pushed through a breach in the German front line (HKL). Scenario Design StuffIn reality Soviet infantry would ride the tanks rather than be carried forward in half tracks. At the moment in CMBN infantry are unable to mount up and ride on armour (as in reality in the early stages of Normandy, which the game truly represents this behaviour was not common when in contact or expected to be in contact with the enemy) hence the half tracks.In this action the ‘Soviets’ i.e. the US, are equipped with Shermans rather than T34s. In reality by this stage in the war several Soviet armoured units were actually equipped with Lend Lease Shermans, so in this respect it’s still within the bounds of possibility for a ‘Soviet armoured force equipped with Shermans to be fighting a German force.Map Size: 3232m x 3360mUnit Size: Approx several tank companies each side plus several companies of half track borne infantry (all reduced numbers due to combat losses etc).Scenario Loading time: As it’s a large map it’ll take around 5 to 10 minutes to load. Be patient! Play as: Best played as H2H; There are two AI Plans for either side so you can play Red Vs Bl...

More...

Already found three people (including me) who can't even load that thing - crashing during loading because we run out of memory. What kind of PC do I need for this? Or do I need to set all details to "Lowest"...?

When the new patch comes out for CMBN it will make a difference in loading and crashes during play.

FWIW my PC specs are in the screenshot attached below.

Damn... Image too small. OK my PC details:

Windows 7 64 bit

Intel Core 2Duo CPU E8400 @3.00GHz

4GB RAM

NIVIDIA GeForce GTX260

466GB HD

Oh top tip - shut down your CMBN, then start up again then try to load the scenario. The new patch as I said addresses this memory issue.

Hey George! Have the full game now on my PC a couple hours (purchased/licensed today)! :) Just had a try loading Fire Brigade, with same reported result. Stopped loading at 36-38% and out of memory error.

Athlon II X2 64 250 (2x3 GHz)

2 GB RAM

Geforce GT 240 512 MB Ram

WinXP

Well, hopefully the patch comes soon!

..and Btw, you have a scenario tester back. ;)

I'm having the same problem. Gets to 39% and crashes.

Intel Core I7 950 CPU @ 3.07ghz

6gb RAM

2 x GeForce GTX 295 Ultra (Total 2GB VRAM)

Win 7 Ultimate 64Bit

1TB HDD

Looking forward to the patch so I can play what looks like an excellent scenario. Viewed the flat design in the editor and I must say it looks excellent. Good work on an ambitious design.

(PS, tried restarting the game and also total re-boot with the same error)

I am fortunate to have a machine that can run it, (altho' have only worked on setup so far).

The map, unit variety and situation look fascinating.

I really appreciate this large scenario as I was getting fed up with the small size of nearly all the other CMBN scenarios. It's great to have enuff units and the space to try different tactics, do recon, keep a reserve etc.

Thanks for all your work. Hope this inspires other designers to do larger scenarios.

I'm thinking it might be more due to what players have running in the background as looking at the specs gievn above your right - they are all good PCs. Once the patch is released that should hopefully make a difference.

I would normally agree with you Sir. However, my system is a completely fresh install as I re-formatted the beast about a week ago. It has CMBN on it, MS Office and nothing else apart from up to date drivers. I've not even got around to installing AVG on it yet.

I shalll eagerly await the patch as I'm looking forward to playing this scenario.

I would normally agree with you Sir. However, my system is a completely fresh install as I re-formatted the beast about a week ago. It has CMBN on it, MS Office and nothing else apart from up to date drivers. I've not even got around to installing AVG on it yet.

I shalll eagerly await the patch as I'm looking forward to playing this scenario.

Ah... Well hopefully the patch and the OOM issue it helps with should allow you to load it. Does seem odd how it affects differant PCs though - 'afster' PCs seem just as affected as 'slower' ones and vice versa.

I am fortunate to have a machine that can run it, (altho' have only worked on setup so far).

The map, unit variety and situation look fascinating.

I really appreciate this large scenario as I was getting fed up with the small size of nearly all the other CMBN scenarios. It's great to have enuff units and the space to try different tactics, do recon, keep a reserve etc.

Thanks for all your work. Hope this inspires other designers to do larger scenarios.

Cool :) Be interested to hear how you get on.

I'd suggest saving every so often though as once battle is joined it can soon chew up a lot of memory. It's just such a large map with lot's of units that heavy fighting can cause the game to fold.

I've got almost nothing running and had gone through about 15 turns when I got an out of memory error. Unfortunately I missed the comment about saving often. :-P Oh well, try again. I've gotten so used to the claustrophobia of Normandy this was a bit dis orienting to start. Toto, I think we ARE in Kansas.

Running with

AMD Phenom II x4 965 Processor

ATI Radeon HD 5700 w 1GB

6 GB RAM

I've got almost nothing running and had gone through about 15 turns when I got an out of memory error. Unfortunately I missed the comment about saving often. :-P Oh well, try again. I've gotten so used to the claustrophobia of Normandy this was a bit dis orienting to start. Toto, I think we ARE in Kansas.

Running with

AMD Phenom II x4 965 Processor

ATI Radeon HD 5700 w 1GB

6 GB RAM

Until the patch comes out if playing WEGO or RT expect to get an OOM error after around anything from 5 to 10 turns or so. In my PC I was getting the OOM error after about five turns. With the pacth I'm good although the other night (after playing around 30 turns) and during some very heavy action (lot's of armour firing at each other over long distances, infantry fighting in villages) I was booted out of the game. In this case I can fully understand why that was! TBH even with the patch I'd still save every half dozen to ten turns or so. This scenario does oush the CMBN PC and Mac technical boundaries! :)

I'm enjoying this one, George, although I don't do more than a couple of turns each day. I love the briefing, the planning, the setup, the kick off and the inevitable mess that follows. My infantry is clearing the town, supported by the Pz IVs and 251/9s, while my Panthers try kill all enemy vehicles in and outside the town from their positions on the hill. I really feel like fighting at the eastern front. And with every game I play I discover new aspects of this great game.

No problems with performance btw, would love to see more battles like this one. This is so much better than fighting in bocage country.

• 6 months later...
Hey George! Have the full game now on my PC a couple hours (purchased/licensed today)! :) Just had a try loading Fire Brigade, with same reported result. Stopped loading at 36-38% and out of memory error.

Athlon II X2 64 250 (2x3 GHz)

2 GB RAM

Geforce GT 240 512 MB Ram

WinXP

Well, hopefully the patch comes soon!

..and Btw, you have a scenario tester back. ;)

Hello mate.