Has anyone seen a unit rout yet?

To be clear, the routing mechanic in CMx2 means that a little red "!" appears above the unit, and then it disappears from the battlefield entirely, assumed to be so shell-shocked or whatever as to be absolutely worthless for any military task for the foreseeable future. If a unit is still visible on the map, panicked and running for the hills, that's not an example of a "rout", in technical game terms.

Anyway, according to the manual, Routing is still in the game. I haven't seen it yet personally.

I suspect that the new surrender mechanic is why you don't see routing as often in CMBN as you do in CMSF. In CMSF, the only way for a badly broken unit to remove itself from the battlefield completely was the rout mechanic. In CMBN, they can rout OR surrender, and from what I've seen most units in poor morale are more than happy to do the latter if there's an enemy unit reasonably nearby.

So, you're more likely to see enemy units surrendering than routing, because the surrendering ones are more likely in your LOS. For example, a sustained heavy artillery barrage might cause some enemy units to rout, but you probably won't see it happen through all the dust and disarray.

Of course, if you screw up badly enough that your own units are routing, then you should be able to see this happening, no problem. Haven't had that happen to me. Yet.

To be clear, the routing mechanic in CMx2 means that a little red "!" appears above the unit, and then it disappears from the battlefield entirely, assumed to be so shell-shocked or whatever as to be absolutely worthless for any military task for the foreseeable future.

Never seen what's described here, but I've seen plenty of troops run hundreds of meters away from the front lines and stay panicked for many turns. Sometimes bailed tank crews, sometimes infantry that have taken a beating and heavy casualties.

Regardless of whether the exclamation point shows, the effect seems to be much the same. Very seldom are these troops ever usable again, and certainly not for much more than spotting and some support fire.

To be clear, the routing mechanic in CMx2 means that a little red "!" appears above the unit, and then it disappears from the battlefield entirely, assumed to be so shell-shocked or whatever as to be absolutely worthless for any military task for the foreseeable future. If a unit is still visible on the map, panicked and running for the hills, that's not an example of a "rout", in technical game terms.

Ah, okay. Thanks, YD.

Michael

I don't believe the little exclamation mark is in CMBN. I am fairly sure this was covered in one ofthe early demo threads. Units can break to the point where then run for the hills, or least their friendly map edge, and stay there as quivering lumps of jelly until the end of the game. They no longer disappear from the map, unlike units who have had their surrender accepted.

I was wondering about that myself...it's in the manual but I've never seen it and I've closely observed a lot of mayhem these past weeks since game release, in scenario author mode too. I think it's not actually something that can happen.

Yesterday I was watching a platoon entirely broken and trapped at edge of map next to river, lashed by mg fire in the open for 10 minutes...all thoroughly broken. Global and local morale for that side was about rock bottom. Since no one was real close they couldn't surrender, but also can't rout to disappear and can't exit the map edge. This creates some silly situations. It would be nice if either the map edge could be exited by fleeing troops OR the rout feature functioned correctly.

Admittedly the routing option would be nice but in some scenarios i've played.i've sent a couple of nearly full strength squads in to finish off what should have been broken and panic stricken troops,thus winning the game and had my squads ripped apart.A nice surprise,i thought.I'm totally wary with my endgame play now until the clock ticks down.

Havent seen routed units yet (the red exclamation mark version, seen lots of units with the "routed" text in thier description).

In fact I was going to start a thread about rout and autosurrender, and the absence in QB's.. In my last QB I was (German) defender. Troops set to regular. At the end of the game I had 10 men left of about 150 at start. One squad of 7, unhurt, routed, 3 single men units two routed one paniced. The enmy was all around me, only reason my men were not killed were that they were hiding in attics and basements. Of the 10 men 4 were wounded. The enemy had one victory location, one wasn't controlled (the squad of 7 men was hidden in a house in that location). Obviously nobody had any communication - all leaders were killed, and the units could not see other units.

This was the situation for the last 5 turns (well, actually I startedthose 5 turns with a few more single men squads, which got killed one by one....and even in the open and surrounded they either ran or fought till the last).

I would have expected routs (the red exclamation mark kind), surrenders and an auto defeat... did not happen. We actually kept going the last 5-10 minutes to see if a surrender would occur. Not.

OK possible correction to my earlier post about the orange ! symbol. I've been racking my brains to recal other instances and I suspect as I've been playing several PBEMs in both CMBN and CMSF that I've morphed the to together. Too much time playing this game methinks! ;) So to be more accurate I can't directly recall seeing the orange ! symbol in CMBN.

Units are described as routing but don't beam away with the orange ! symbol a la CMSF. The green arrows posted earlier by another poster indicate a unit that has wnadered onto an exit zone and is leaving the map.

My more common experience with troops in CMBN is them running away, surrendering or dying in place.

Units are described as routing but don't beam away with the orange ! symbol a la CMSF. The green arrows posted earlier by another poster indicate a unit that has wnadered onto an exit zone and is leaving the map.

But those green arrows appeared when playing "buying the farm". No exit zones there, AFAIK. Not sure what they mean but they probably aren't for exiting units.