An interesting observation in the unit info panel

I've just seen this for the 1st time: In the unit info, the part which lists soldier actions like "spotting" "aiming" ect, I've just seen a soldier "planning" - it happened during the squads 1st contact with the enemy. It seems there's even more things going on under the hood than I imagined!!

I too have seen this "Planning" once. It was when I played the fresh NATO-module for CMSF. My Panzergrenadier (Bundeswehr) disembarked from their MARDERS but insted to run for the cover I had pointed to with a waypoint, they where standing in the open 1-2 turns just 'planning' and shoot down by the Syrians . Never reported it as a bug, because I have not ever seen it again. Just remembered that when read this thread now.

Sounds like sometimes "planning" also may mean the Tac AI is sitting there scratching its head going, "Hmm, what do I do next?"

I have several times seen mortars and AT guns that I have ordered to fire flick constantly and very quickly between planning and spotting. Once they get into that loop they never come out of it and never fire. Cancelling a replotting the "Target" command or HE fire mission dosen't resolve the problem, even if they ordered to fire on something else. Ordering the unit to move, may, reset the loop but other than that the gun/mortar is useless for the rest of the game.

This is the only genuine bug I have seen so far.

I have several times seen mortars and AT guns that I have ordered to fire flick constantly and very quickly between planning and spotting. Once they get into that loop they never come out of it and never fire. Cancelling a replotting the "Target" command or HE fire mission dosen't resolve the problem, even if they ordered to fire on something else. Ordering the unit to move, may, reset the loop but other than that the gun/mortar is useless for the rest of the game.

This is the only genuine bug I have seen so far.

My hunch is that the unit would like to move to another location to better spot the target but is having difficulty with the decision process for whatever reason. I may be totally off, but that is all I can come up with given the info at hand. I'd love to hear BFC weigh in on just what the state the planning portrays.