A bit of Ai frustration

First let me say that I'm thoroughly enjoying CM:N, both against the AI and PBEMs.

But every now and then I seem to run into problems with the vehicle AI that cause serious frustration.

In a current PBEM I had ordered a veteran Tiger to quick move to a new position to engage an enemy tank:

cmai1.jpg

No face command was given.

The Tiger moved out but as he reached its intended position suddenly a 'face to' line appeared and he started to rotate.

cmai2.jpg

He continued to rotate in place until he presented his flank towards the enemy tank.

cmai3.jpg

In the command phase I give the Tiger a reverse command in order to get his front pointing at the enemy again and to get him clear of that tree.

cmai4.jpg

He starts a backwards turn but doesn't simply drive back a couple of meters...

cmai5.jpg

Great pictures

I'd check the map side/direction friendly to setting in the editor.

I think vehicles that cannot actually see an enemy threat will present their front in the opposite direction to friendly. So, I summise that the enemy are actually coming from a 'friendly' direction according to the editor.

It does look like its hung up in that one tree, doesn't it? Ironwood? It has a grip on the Tiger it looks like.

If your gridded terrain mod reflects the action spots underneath, it almost looks like the house is partly built upon a tree action spot. I wonder if the tank is hung up because it "thinks" it should be an open space.

Are the trees planted individually on the landscape? Or are they part of the underlying terrain?

His turret was pointing in the right direction, but his hull wasn't.

Could it be that the tree is occluding that action spot, so the tank is reversing around that spot to get to the one beyond which perhaps you just touched when you clicked? Since the tree is in the way it is effectively orbiting it!

Anyway, has he eventually behaved or has he paid the ultimate penalty?

I think the tree might indeed be the problem. Still doesn't fully explain that screw-up IMO.

In my experience, the vehicle AI has a consistent problem with continuing to rotate after it should have stopped. It only seems to happen while the vehicle is rotating in place near obstacles. I've seen a number of cases where the AI halts to make a sharp turn, starts rotating, and then instead of moving forward once it's lined up properly, just keeps turning.

Also, how long was the reverse command? The AI usually seems to cancel vehicle move orders that are only a few meters long, and replace them with a rotate order. I've had a lot of problems with tanks that stop a few meters away from bocage, then won't move forward when I try to get them right up against it. They usually replace the move with a rotate, and start turning away. I play realtime, not WEGO, so I've never had the patience to see how far it will rotate before it gives up. I've found that reversing 20 meters or so, then moving back up again works much better, since the AI won't change the orders.

I gave several IG guns a move order with a face command (forgot to give a deploy cmd) and when they reached their destination they just started spinning counter-clock wise for several minutes. What got them to stop was giving them a deploy command.

Ive noticed tanks don't have a realistic turn ratio. Irl drivers reversed 1 track and forwarded the other so they could swing around on the spot, but in this game they like slowly turns like trucks with forward wheel drive.. id say this is not modelled in the game? Or maybe i have played it to little to see this effect..

Ive noticed tanks don't have a realistic turn ratio. Irl drivers reversed 1 track and forwarded the other so they could swing around on the spot, but in this game they like slowly turns like trucks with forward wheel drive.. id say this is not modelled in the game? Or maybe i have played it to little to see this effect..

Not every tank in WW2 actually could turn on the spot using neutral steering.

It's my understanding that the Sherman didn't have neutral turning (which allows turning in place), although several German tanks did. I'm not 100% certain of this though. Apparently it was (is?) difficult on the drive train.

Yeah, not all tanks had zero turn radius (aka "neutral steering"). It decreased mechanical reliability and greatly increased the chance of throwing a track. In most situations neutral steering wouldn't do much except cause problems.

I knew a guy who was an Abrams driver for a National Guard unit back in the 90s. He said that when they went to train the neutral steering controls (separate from regular steering) were wired down so they couldn't use it. Apparently they learned the hard way that a 2 hour training exercise could translate into a 6 hour mechanical repair experience :D

Steve

IIRC, WW2 tanks that had neutral steer ability: Churchhill, Tiger, Panther and other AVF based on those chassis. Tiger II maybe also.

I have no idea how often that ability was used, but it was probably rarely necessary. Here is a video of a Panther tank pivoting on a dime by locking one tread. As you can see it can turn very quickly (the video also shows the turret traverse speed with the engine at idle).

If you look closely at the T34/"Tiger" in the film, it is not neutral steering but simply locking the pivot side and turning on it while operating the opposite tracks conventionally. True neutral steering runs both tracks in opposite directions.

Here's true neutral steering: