Ost Front Scenario - Orlovka WIP

I've been meddling about in the editor looking to create an Eastern Front map (OK I know the buildings etc will look French) just to have a play about with armour etc in wide open spaces.

I've attached a few screenies for your viewing pleasure :)

So far I've got the map finished - it's just over 3km x 3km. Pretty cool to see Panthers engaging at 1200m. Done the German OOB and deployed em now just working on the Allies aka The Soviets (well they'll be US armour and half tracks). Not historical but great to see this game in action on the steppes.

More to come...

villageswview.jpg

That's a beautiful looking map George...LOL I'll probably be able to do a load of laundry and cook a chicken waiting for that sucker to load!

Mord.

So far it loads very quickly - a few minutes for me - though reckon those with older machines will struggle. Still I like playing very very large maps as do a few others like yourself :)

Drool...I would be happy with just the map! Obviously some of us are really looking forward to the east. I know I am.

Even in cmx1 a 3x3k map was a huge task. I probably spent 20 hours creating a single 3x2k map in cmx1 from a 1:50k topo map...I can't imagine it in cmx2. I'm just now learning how to create a simple slope.

George, hi,

Absolutely great to see what you are up to.... with me it is close to being love match between CM and the Eastern Front :). All previous versions of CM are just R&D for the Eastern Front ;).

You are also correct, historically not just CM wise, that Panthers v T34s/Shermans are far from invulnerable. A classic example is during the attempted relief of the Korsun Pocket in February ’44 when the newly equipped Panther battalion from Gross Deutschland tried to break through Soviet lines to no effect.

At the time it was the most powerful German armoured battalion in the East, first generation Panther battalion of 60 tanks. On the first morning of the attempted breakthrough 17 were lost, the end of the second morning just 15 were still running. German estimates of Soviet losses were 13 T34s and half a dozen AT guns.

The problem for the Panthers was their very thin side armour. In the open, undulating, village Russia landscape the number of opportunities for side shots from the Soviets meant the Germans had to advance in line. Say on a front 2000m wide. Any attempt at a narrow “breakthrough” lead to the Panthers being lost. This in turn lead to grinding, slow village by village, ridge by ridge advance along a large section of front.

The standard Soviet 76.2mm AT round of ’42 – ’45 could penetrate even the heaviest sections of Panther side armour at a 45 degree strike angle at 1000m. At closer to 90 degrees at any range the Soviets managed to hit them.

As you can see I am ranting at the thought of War on the Eastern Front and CM once again coming together :).

Will leave you alone now.... but hugely looking forward to what you are producing and then CMX2 moving to the East.

We are lucky to have CM...

All the best,

Kip.

Cheers guys - just working on the 'Soviet' set-up :)

Yeah your right Kip - I was playing about with the Panthers and had em taken out by side shots at 1000m! Never even knew what hit em...

ostwtf.jpg

First Panther is nailed by long range Sherman fire.

George, hi,

I find myself checking every morning and evening to see if there has been any progress ;).

Keeping my fingers crossed that it will not be too long.

BTW. By September US forces under Patton were fighting in some really quite open country in North Eastern France. If you were looking for historically accurate open tank country. But I realise there is a 99% chance you already know that :).

The East is special!

All the best,

Kip.

Hi Harry

Long time no speak :) Doing well mate - hope life good with you?

I'm still working on it. At the moment I'm just working out the AI Plans, then have to fine tune em. Re setting I think I'll keep it fictional and east. Along the lines of enemy units break through, armoured group sent to seal the breach. Still I'll check out your suggestion Harry and see what I can make work.

@FRankster65 - I've got some shot - no real structure to em but I'll post what I have latter today.