Ost Front Scenario - Orlovka WIP

• 3 weeks later...
Hi George, wanted to bring this thread back to the front page to let you know I'm interested as well in this battle. Any idea on when it will be ready for consuption?

Cheers! :)

It's well on the way. I've two AI Plans for each side (just fine tuning em which is what is taking the time). I've got the briefings fleshed out just need to run through em once more, do the maps (tac and op) then it's good to go. So depending on how much RL get's in the way it's around a week I reckon. Will post here when it's good to go.

If ya fancy a wee sneak preview in return for doing a wee bit of playtesting be happy to send a beta version over to you (probably without maps)? ;)

Just heading off to work away for a few days so be out of comms till I get back late Wednesday.

Cheers fur noo

George

It's done!

This is a very very large map. I think a lot of PCs might struggle. It'll take a while to load. So load it then walk away and come back ten minutes latter - should be fine (takes around 7 minutes to load on my PC). It plays better i.e. your PC will cope better if you play WEGO although I've been testing it a lot using RT. Still lot's of units in it so it can become a bit fraught playing RT.

Be keen to hear how players get on. It's my largest designed in CMBN (or CMSF for that matter) and I had a real challenege to work out AI Plan timings. So any and all comments most welcome :)

Just uploaded to the Repository so it'll take a day or so to clear there. In the meantime (the next seven days) you can grab it at the following link:

http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=g1460b3a34dde25775098410fb5bf1ec5c2cc2

Note this link will expire after seven days - although it should then be available at The Repository.

What kind of computer do i need just to edit this? I was trying to downscale it a bit to use some parts for QB maps and It took me 5-10 mins to go from 3300 to 3200m :) Otherwise this looks simply epic from the 2D preview..

I'd shift the view size down. For some reason it's quicker when you do that. You also know if you hold the SHIFT key you delete 80m at a time rather than 16m? Yup it's a big map :)

Oh meant to add if you hang on I've uploaded the map only i.e. no units, terrain objectives etc to the repository, plus it has details of the AI Groups in the AI Plan - should be up latter tomorrow.

George, hi,

Magnificent, truly you are a master of the art :).

A credit to yourself and Battlefront... !

Luckily for me we like the same type of scenario but you have talent I do not. So I am delighted when you produce one of your masterpieces.

Have just had a quick peak so far and hit a couple of turns to see things seem to run, which they do just fine. My system spec is very close to yours from one of your earlier posts.

Will play some more seriously as German tomorrow.

Thanks.

All the best,

Kip.

Hi George

Good to see you back in Russia. Will dl your scenario and give it a run through.

I think there are possibilities here, the Sherman M4A2 with 75mm (and 76mm guns in Nov 44) were sent to the USSR with the 1st, 3rd, and 9th Guards Mechanised Corps and of course their Recce Units would have used White Scout Cars and Half Tracks.

In June 1944:

1st GMC - Stavka Reserve - very dull

3rd GMC - taking part in Operation Bagration engaged in tank battles around Minsk against 5.PD and 505 Schwere Panzer Abteilung

9th GMC - part of 3rd Tank Army and taking part in the Lvov Sandomir operation and of course you have lots of scenario material from the D. Loza book.

I well remember in the "Count" series a square full of Shermans being bombarded by Prinz Eugen. Happy days!

I think it will be while before we get an OstFront CMx2 game as they have to do the SS, British and then the late 44 game before they are slated for a Bagration game. So something in the meantime would be nice!

Hi Guys :)

Cheers for the kudos. Very much appreciated.

@Alte Fritz - good tohear from you again. Cheers for the info. I steered clear of being too specific although the map is the same one used for Strachwitz at Kharkov in CMBB - although a wee bit reduced. I suspect the modules could come thick and fast once the BFC guys start going - lot's of shared units for 44/45 stuff. Guess the earlier periods may take longer (assuming BFC do 1943 and earlier etc - hope they do).

@Erwin - must admit I like the combined arms close co-op the closed terrain of Normandy encourages, but yeah good to roam around larger open spaces as well with long range tank duels and being able to manouver your units about at speed :)

@Alte Fritz - good tohear from you again. Cheers for the info. I steered clear of being too specific although the map is the same one used for Strachwitz at Kharkov in CMBB - although a wee bit reduced. I suspect the modules could come thick and fast once the BFC guys start going - lot's of shared units for 44/45 stuff. Guess the earlier periods may take longer (assuming BFC do 1943 and earlier etc - hope they do).

Here's hoping. Being quite a newbie at this CMx2 lark (bought CMSF to support BF but could never get into it) lets hope we get plenty of scenarios written. How does your CMSF Scenario Designer Manual relate to CMBN and will we get an update?

My main research recently has been into late war German defence techniques and tactics - how do the trenches in CMBN work out, are they quite accurate or just foxholes?

Hi,

I look forward to using the larger maps for large scale infantry and combined arms battles. Not just tank battles.

Remember most battles in WWII were infantry with small amounts of armour support.

May try to construct such a battle using George’s great map.... as he has given permission for others to use it :).

All the best,

Kip.

Here's hoping. Being quite a newbie at this CMx2 lark (bought CMSF to support BF but could never get into it) lets hope we get plenty of scenarios written. How does your CMSF Scenario Designer Manual relate to CMBN and will we get an update?

My main research recently has been into late war German defence techniques and tactics - how do the trenches in CMBN work out, are they quite accurate or just foxholes?

The CMSF scenario design manual will pretty much get you started in the basics. They are the same game engine. Main difference is terrain types e.g. CMBN has more and differant terrain types. Otherwise creating the basic map and the process of placing stuff then the CMSF manual will do. For specific CMBN stuff refer to the CMBN manual.

There have been some issues with trenches and foxholes - the next patch should address all that :)

"Remember most battles in WWII were infantry with small amounts of armour support."

I agree that was the reality (as it was that most battles were very one sided). But, that also means that "most" battles are not that interesting to game. In a game one looks for the fun situations, and that means those very rare occasions that both sides were about equal in strength and were convinced that they HAD to win or die.

I think that is why while I enjoy CMBN it feels a bit one-sided as the Germans are generally in poor shape. Am assuming BF is working on an Ardennes module as well as East Front where things were a bit more equal (at least for a section of the Front and for a limited time).

• 4 weeks later...
I'm right in the middle of your battle, George. Burning tanks everywhere, incoming artillerty, chaos, smoke, deafening noice....this is war! I love it.

Niiice :) Glad ya enjoying it. I'm part way through putting together a smaller action (using a smaller 1.5km x 1.5km part of the larger Fire Brigade map that has then been revamped) should have that done by the time you finish up Fire Brigade.

Be keen to hear how you get on?

Cheery!

George

I haven't lost one Panther, but my Pz IV's suffered badly, especially in the battle for the town. I also must lose my bad habbit of rushing my SPWs in. I always do that, can't resist it, but it never turns out good. That makes me a Gräbner, I suppose. But I love the sight of SPWs driving on full speed like a cavalry charge.