Time for a Tips And Tactics Forum?

Been noticing a lot of advice and explanations and whatnot spaced throughout the Mods and Main CMBN forums...maybe we should have a T&T forum like with CMSF...try and consolidate some of the knowledge before it's spread so far out?

Anybody else interested?

Mord.

"Refer to the CMSF Strategy and Tactics forum"?!

You've got to be joking, right?

If the CMSF S&T forum contains the right information for how to conduct warfare in WWII, BFC have completely screwed the game.

Plus, if I wanted to read about modern warfare and look at pictures of it, I'd have bought CMSF. But I don't.

GaJ

"Refer to the CMSF Strategy and Tactics forum"?!

You've got to be joking, right?

If the CMSF S&T forum contains the right information for how to conduct warfare in WWII, BFC have completely screwed the game.

Plus, if I wanted to read about modern warfare and look at pictures of it, I'd have bought CMSF. But I don't.

GaJ

To be fair, a lot of those suggestions have been about how to handle the mechanics of the game, as opposed to how to apply that knowledge to the tactical situation. More 'gameplay tips' than tactical pointers. Though some general principles apply in both milieux.

GaJ,

One of the reasons people have ben referred so often the CMSF S & T forum is that it contains a lot of information that is directlly useful, relevant and applicable to CMBN. Posters refering people to that site are actually trying to be helpful.

A CMBN S & T will be most welcome, but it will take time to make, so until then refering people o somewhere that will give them the information they seek seems to be a polite and helpful thing to do.

"BFC have completely screwed the game". Can I ask what you mean by that?

GaJ,

"BFC have completely screwed the game". Can I ask what you mean by that?

What I meant by this clearly hyperbolic statement was that if discussion of Modern Warfare tactics turns on out to be directly applicable in WWII, then the realism that they were shooting for might be compromised. The two mileu are rather different, so I hope that the simulation of them doesn't make them look the same: that would be "screwed".

Of course, many elements are the same, that's why it's hyperbole :)

take what fits and disregard the stuff that doesn't

How hard is it to understand that some people aren't interested in, or even actively dislike, wading through articles and pictures of modern warfare? Most of the terms in these discussions I don't even understand. Is a Javelin a spear, a gun, a tank or what? If I don't know this, then how is reading about how to use it going to help me?

What would be wrong with a new Tips and Tactics forum for CMBN? Gasp oh my gosh some points that were made about the UI in CMSF forum might be repeated? How could we suffer through that? I see... yes, OK ... :(

GaJ

What would be wrong with a new Tips and Tactics forum for CMBN? Gasp oh my gosh some points that were made about the UI in CMSF forum might be repeated? How could we suffer through that? I see... yes, OK ... :(

Can you name me someone who thinks we *shouldn't* have a CMBN tips and tactics forum? Heck, CMSF players are asking for a CMBN forum. People are just trying to be helpful here in the interim until there is such a forum. This hostility and bitterness I've been seeing from you just doesn't suit you.

How hard is it to understand that some people aren't interested in, or even actively dislike, wading through articles and pictures of modern warfare?

GaJ

then don't. And stop spaming with repeated topics. We all know how BFC loved being pressure into doing something by whining.

Is a Javelin a spear, a gun, a tank or what? If I don't know this, then how is reading about how to use it going to help me?

GaJ

People playing this game have a certain level of competence. You are going off into lala land now to prove a point. Enjoy the trip. i won't be going. :cool:

I think I was just following people into lala land who were suggesting that somehow it doesn't make sense to have a CMBN T&T section, or that the CMSF one is a good substitute :)

Can you name me someone who thinks we *shouldn't* have a CMBN tips and tactics forum?

I was responding to this comment:

The repeated comment was to refer to CMSF Strategy and Tactics Forum.

It gave me the sh*ts :)

But actually, I don't really care anyhow: there are plenty of good CMBN Tips and Tactics threads out in the clubs :)

And these have the advantage that they have a more homogenous audience: all "us" CMx1 people who need to hear from the beginning about action spots and terrain differences etc, which the CMSF people have already heard and done to death in that context.

Cheers,

GaJ

I think the suggestion being made is that, while the War in Afghanistan is not exactly the same as WW2, CMSF uses basically the same game engine as CMBfN, and similar strategy and tactics apply in both conflicts.

Take the following post for example:

Replaying the original campaign and got a Draw on this missioin. I lost two Strykers and 3 men KIA plus 1 man wounded. Now on the end mission screen I did not get points for 'friendly casualties'? I am assuming the scenario editor set this to zero. Pretty hard on this scenario. I also did not receive points for reaching PL-20 and PL-21 I believe. Nothing in the briefing said anything about these two phase lines. Any explanations on these?

Also, will the campaign scenarios ever be made available as singles so we can adjust them in the editor?

Clearly CMBfN players can learn a lot from the CMSF tactics forum and it is a bit narrow minded and unreasonable (and bigoted) to consider the WW2 version of CMx2 to be so special and unique as to warrant its own Strategy and Tactics forum.