Gryphonne's tiny grass mod

I've a very quick & dirty mod to the grassy terrain in CMBN; trying to remove the extremely limish green look when the sun is high up in the game. If there is interest in this mod I'll upload it to the rep. In the meanwhile I'm planning a larger re-saturation/re-color mod for the terrain but nothing set in stone.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

http://imageshack.us/f/9/grassystuff.jpg/

Below is a small picture from an empty map in the scenario editor for comparison. The time is 1300 hours.

grassy2.th.jpg

I've done a desaturation mod:

cmnormandy2011052217574.jpg

Before - After

I did a folder batch action using -15 saturation. Just takes the edge off.

Haven't uploaded it because it's huge and I thought it is so subtle that people wouldn't be bothered.

That effect is extremely subtle yeah, but I do like it :)

I myself just wanted to get rid of most of the limeness in the grass. The color may be on par with actual pictures of Normandy, but it doesn't "fit in" somehow. I simply wanted the grass to be a little greener ;)

Yeah, I know what you mean. The lighting really seems to affect the colours (in both good and bad ways).

Are you going to do more?

I'm contemplating ;) but I really need to figure out what look I'm aiming for and try to keep it "tied together" ingame. If I'll extensively modify all sorts of things, vehicles or infantry might seem out of place.

Actually, Vein, I think that desaturation effect is really good. It's not the grass change so much, but the underlying ground that looks much better - since, after all, it's the grass that makes the ground look green, so if you can see the blades, the rest looks better "understated".

How large is large ? I'd be interested, thanks ;)

My grid mod (if it ever gets approved for the repository) also deepens the color some (I also dislike the lime green grass) and adds quite a lot of variation to the distance (larger tiny grass maps for more detail). In this image compare the terrain in the distance in both versions (where the grid stops drawing):

5743938981_d6a2c3302c_b.jpg

My grid mod (if it ever gets approved for the repository) also deepens the color some (I also dislike the lime green grass) and adds quite a lot of variation to the distance (larger tiny grass maps for more detail). In this image compare the terrain in the distance in both versions (where the grid stops drawing):

Great Grid Mod... Need that mod badly... have been looking for a grid mod like this.

Please upload...please, please, pretty please.

Thank you...thank you...thank you

I'd love to see more realistic foliage and grass color! The graphics in CMBN are excellent, but I don't think Europe was quite so day-glo during the 1940s.

Count me as a vote for this kind of modding.

Besides, we have to be able to ask "Which grass mod is that?" ;)

Heh! Yeh we just matched the color to that off google maps as close as we could and generally the testers were happy with the result. Some prefer a more desaturated 'old film' look like was used Saving Private Ryan though which is what mods are for and Im sure there will be many! :)

Dan

Can we have your grid mod at CMMODs?

Tons of people are asking for this...

GaJ

I'd love to see more realistic foliage and grass color! The graphics in CMBN are excellent, but I don't think Europe was quite so day-glo during the 1940s.

No it was black and white wasn't it?

I like the grass in game, some extended discussion was had in beta about the colour, supported by pics from the area. Works for me but of course YMMV.