Lessons Learned..so far.

Come on then all you old cmx1 players.

what have you been taught by this game so far?

For me

1. Fear the mortar.

2.German tank hunter teams are mean. 2 men, panzerfausts and demo and TWO smoke grenades, attach them to your pioneer squads and you can then use the pioneer on the offensive in a much more realistic way( they need that smoke cover to clear obstacles)

3.Fear the mortar.

And don't forget mortars big brother artillery. I've had more men taken out with well placed arty than everything else combined.

Don't have your Company commander 30m away from an unbuttoned Sherman that is taking MG42 fire from 800m because richochets can kill (I think). Playing in RT so not 100% sure what happened but it seemed to be the only thing going on so I have to assume that was the cause.

Yet to see a TC commander killed by having his head outside a turret though. Definitely more safe the CMBB.

Snipers are pretty good at picking off TCs. I've lost a fair few in Carbide Carbide for example. Also lost TCs to incoming arty landing close. Generally though they are quick to drop down when in action if they start taking heavy small arms fire.

Oh, I forgot, earlier:

There's no such thing as 'withdraw to a fallback position' when two platoons of Americans and 6 tanks are shooting at a single understrength platoon behind bocage, even if they only got lightly scratched by the prep 105s due to having previously been in the fallback position (trench).

Beware the Sherman tank crew Rage! Tank Hunter Team KIA's Sherman from less than 10meters from behind the bocage. As Sherman crew bails, secondary explosion surpresses the AT Team. Enraged tank crew pounces on AT team and mows them down. I swear the tankers had grins on their faces and fire in there eyes. It was awesome!

1. If you think you have a great location with excellent cover, so will the AI FO, move imediately.

I also cast my vote for the mortar as "Most Improved Weapon of Carnage and Deathness"

The AI's use of artillery (including mortars) has been the biggest shock for me. Stay stationary for too long in LOS of one of his spotters and he will drop accurate death on your head.

Close Air Support is dangerous to everyone involved.
Are you saying you prefer Far Air Support? ;-)

I've learned to be much more liberal with shooting in the general area that fire is coming from. Even you're not that close it will keep the enemy down. Also, don't forget to see if you have smoke shells or grenades. They are most useful if you can't locate exactly where enemy fire is coming from.

Splitting a squad and then sending the individual teams out 10 seconds apart makes them a less inviting target (and possibly harder to spot?)

A point-target/heavy/quick fire mission of 81mm or better stands a good chance of killing any enemy tank foolish enough to stand still for several minutes in the open. I'm 3-for-3 with this tactic, killing Panthers and PzIVs with top penetrations.

Infantry combat in deep woods causes HEAVY casualties - whole squads can be mowed down in seconds. Almost anything is better than a frontal assault in this situation.

Lessons learned...after 10 friggin' years I still suck at this game! There is not a crossfire that I do not bumble into...a delaying action that does not hinder my progress...a killing zone that I do not put troops into before going for a beverage...well almost.

It is good that I am so terrible lest I love this game too much and quit doing all else.

BFS5