How long do you take to play a 45min WeGo mission?

Just out of curiosity...

It takes me roughly 4 days to complete a mission (playing about 4 hours a day).

Is this normal?

Or am I taking a ridiculously long time over each turn?

And that's why they don't implement WeGo by LAN! ;)

That's a long time in my book. Naturally time to do a scenario depends on the size of the forces involved. Still, I managed to play Huzzar in one night (5-6 hours). I tend to be agressive though and charge hard, a tactic that usually carries the battle in my favor or leads to a rapid demise.

Don't judge yourself by others standards. Enjoy watching those replays and deciding different options with movement speeds and LOS, this is what learning is all about. In time most of this will become second nature or maybe it won't but the point is if your enjoying the game then play at your pace.

I've been playing CMSF since 07 and now CMBN and I still like watching replays. If you ever get to the point where you can play RT, you'll finish that 45 min game in ... Oh what? 45 Mins .. ;)

It really depends on my mood. Sometimes I replay everything again and again to catch every second from every angle, sometimes I just keep playing through turns like I was on speed. So yes, it is normal but there are also other 'normal' ways. Just do it the way you like it the most, but maybe try not to worry about the details too much, concentrate on leading the battle more than leading the little hands of all of your men.

Just out of curiosity...

Is this normal?

It depends on what happens. For example the battle I am running now has me playing cat and mouse with a panther platoon in hedgerows. I have been re watching every turn multiple times from the viewpoint of every unit. Initially I ran few turns pretty quick, but now it is too intense and I don't want to miss anything. I hit done once only to realize I had a greyhound cause an StUG crew to bail and had missed it. Saving 45 turns though gets a bit tedious. I do wish that in the save menu there was an option to delete other saves, but I just created a shortcut on my desktop to the save folder and the game flips between desktop and game smoothly so I will likely start saving more often.

So the short answer is no, take whatever time you want and if you spend an entire day just replaying one turn that was really critical or had great action sequences - isn't that the point of enjoying it?

Really , no way to answer this question.

It really depends on how many units you are issueing commands to each turn as to how long a turn takes and then how long the game last.

If you are on defence and just have you units waiting in ambush positions, turns go very quickly until the enemy makes contact. then you might only have a platoon or two of units to adjust commands for at that point. Where as if you you have 2 companys of men on the move on the offensive side of the map, it takes awhile to place orders, exspecially once the lead starts to fly.

Anyway, each turn could take 5 minutes to a hour for me depending on the scenario.

I just finished 2 games in about 4 hours apiece.

But I know I have played large battles by PBEM and have spent a hour just to get the moves inputed for one turn.

Look at it this way. Did you have fun playing 4 hours? Then you played it in the proper time. The beauty of WEGO is that you can go back and look at what every unit is doing, play, replay, replay again, get coffee, replay, go rob a bank, replay, have sex with Megan Fox (and Jessica Alba woohoo), replay. Then you can do it all over again (especially Miss Fox and Alba).

When I play real-time I sometimes wish I had played WEGO because I know I missed something important.

Fascinating replies. Thank you.

It's interesting to find out how players' styles of play differ so greatly. I think this is probably quite unusual for a videogame, which goes to show what an exceptional game CMBN (I feel I do CMBN an injustice calling it a game) really is.

Fascinating replies. Thank you.

It's interesting to find out how players' styles of play differ so greatly. I think this is probably quite unusual for a videogame, which goes to show what an exceptional game CMBN (I feel I do CMBN an injustice calling it a game) really is.

I couldn't agree more! That's also what makes H2H so interesting (different styles of play).

As a rule of thumb I reckon to spend 4 to 6 times as long on a scenario as there are game minutes. So a 45 min game will take me between 3 and 4.5 hours to finish. If there are lots of "goodness me" moments, that demand lots of replays it will be longer and any scenario designed by Paper Tiger is going to take even longer (the man is an evil genius when it comes to luring players into traps).

Back in the day when we could play across a network using **** over ***/**, my oppo and I used to take about 7 or 8 hours for a QB of which the best part of an hour could be spent on set up.

This is the absolute beauty of CMBN -- you can take eons in WEGO and replays to savor a turn or two, or blaze through it in real time play.

But....It occurs to me that for PBEM, I'll need to be careful to look for opponents to share my tastes and have a compatible style of play. Because otherwise, I can forsee lots of players getting irritated when their opponent gets bored and goes "MIA," just because the other player is playing more deliberately or using historical tactics instead of just charging ahead, or vice-versa. So we should all try, when seeking opponents, to be up-front about things like our preferred pace of turn exchanges, preferred scale of battle and maps, and anything else that might improve the chances of a happily completed battle. After all, a PBEM at battalion scale could take a really long time to play -- you're going to get to know that opponent really well by the end of it, so it's probably better to either play only with trusted friends, or make sure you can trust and enjoy playing with a new and unkown opponent.

It's hard to draw firm conclusions with so few CMx2 scenarios under my belt by now, but I think I'm about the same as Blackcat.

~ 4 hours for a 45 minute we-go.

That would be roughly Company sized. Bigger would take longer and smaller, of course, shorter.

Any game where you guys think about playing for 4 hours as opposed to spending 4 hours thinking about Megan Fox and Jessica Alba together must not be all that bad. :)

I can spend a solid 10-15 minutes thinking about them and then alimony pops into my mind. BFBN is a much safer distraction.

:D

Rather than simply a "game", perhaps this has now become instead a "simulation". Regardless of what one may choose to call it, it has set a new high water mark. Clearly, CMBN is now the industry standard by which all subsequent "games" will be judged.

Any game where you guys think about playing for 4 hours as opposed to spending 4 hours thinking about Megan Fox and Jessica Alba together must not be all that bad. :)

Thats what ALT-TAB's for.

I can only focus on my pixeltruppen getting massacred for so long before my mind wanders.

Just out of curiosity...

Is this normal?

Holy CRAP, man! :eek:

I guessing I don't take as long as the average, but I don't tend to fidget over every order or delve into individual soldiers' ammo supply on every turn.

I'd say a 45 min WEGO will take me 3.5-4 hours on average.

Actually, that's why I tend to enjoy mostly short, small battles---I just can't sink days into each of them, and I like the excitement of starting a new battle.

I also tend to quit ("cease fire") battles when the issue is no longer in doubt, whether I'm on the last few turns or even when there's 15 turns to go (talking mainly QBs here, which I tend to play the most)

Now, once I start one of the campaigns, well....I'll play much more seriously, and stick it out 'til the end, of course!

Guest Paulyboy69

I'm happy to see such a thread appear because I was starting to feel like an idiot with how long WeGo battles take me! I'll spend days on a single battle, playing a few hours each day. I'll check every friendly and enemy (that I can see) between each turn, issuing orders where necessary. I also like to watch replays over and over from different perspectives. And since I'm no tactical genius I'll sometimes wrestle over certain decisions for awhile before putting a turn into action.

It's good to see I'm not alone. Brilliant game! :)

-PN

I've largely given up on issuing targeting orders. Saves much time in the orders phase.

The few times I'll issue them are - when I need to area fire because a unit can't see a particular target but can see the location, artillery (both direct and indirect), having infantry not target armor.

I reckon this data just goes to show what a joke RT is.

There is so much to think about, so many different decisions to be made for a wide variety of units.

GaJ

I think this is a good point.

For many of us the joy of CM is the ability to take time over tactical decisions and watch replays over and over again. Although I applaud the addition of the RT option, I just don't get the same out of the game in RT.