Floating icons vs colored bases

I simply do not like those floating icons.. Is there a way to get the colored bases s in CM1?.. Far more accurate ...

Any different views? Any suggestions? I might be slow but figuring out where exactly a unit is takes some camera rotations..

Well, the floating icons you can turn off if you do not like them. As far as replacing them I would say it is not possible. That sort of thing, I guess, would be an integral part of the code. Personally I find the floating icons a great game aid, gives a very quick overview of the forces. But I usually toggle them off as soon as I don´t need them for immersion's sake.

On the other hand, I have been trying to change the appearance of the current bases, but it seems it is only the colour that is changeable. I can´t find the current shapes of the bases anywhere. Anyone knows?

Something I would like to be able to do with icons though is to have a hot-key where I can turn off "Types" (such as disable armor). It's definitely not a huge deal but during the setup phase (especially during) it would be nice.

For example: It'd be great to toggle off armor icons and heavy weapon icons so it is easier to sort out my infantry units. That would also be great in scenarios like Huzzar where a large part of the scenario involves moving troops by half-track (turn off all but armor icons for that).

It's not a deal-breaker by any means but it would simplify the game at times, especially for real-time battles.

You have to install a mod to change the bases. There is at least one available

Yes, I know, it´s MikeyD's work. I was actually trying to do my own mod. I unpacked the default game art and looked for unit bases. But as it is, I find only the colour charts, not the graphical shapes, i e a "pulsing" circle with arrows.

I simply do not like those floating icons.. Is there a way to get the colored bases in CM1?.. Far more accurate ...

LOL...why am I not surprised I am not the only one who has posted about this? Totally agree.

The most "easiest" way to implement something that is more like the coloured bases in CMx1 in the current build of the game I would think would be to create a "toggle bases" option that shows the unit bases that are already in the game (currently you only see these bases when you select a unit) so that they always appear.

Would also help if there was at least an option to reduce the height at which the icons float above each unit. Would prefer for them to be closer to the unit (closer to the point on the ground where the unit actually is).

You might be interested in another thread I started that outlines a few good/better CMx1 features that are missing/poorly implemented in CMBN.

Making CM:BN more like CMx1-mods?

How does a base change work when the element is scattered across 2500square metre?

Easy. The same way it does when you select the unit and see the unit bases (more correctly they are the bases of each soldier/vehicle)

Ok, I know it is possible to turn off icons. But w/o icons and w/o bases it takes a VERY good eye to spot all the units.

One thing is not clear to me: is it already available a mod for colored bases or some of you folks are just working on it? Thanks

BTW the game is great!!

But as it is, I find only the colour charts, not the graphical shapes, i e a "pulsing" circle with arrows.

You have to edit the alpha channels (these are integral to the file itself). That's where the shapes you see come from. If you're using Photoshop, when you open up one of the base .bmps (for this example I'll reference the green one) look at the Layers palette. There should be a tab that says Channels. Click that, and the very last channel is your alpha. It's a black and white channel. How this works is the the more you go to white the the more opaque the color in the .bmp is. The more you tend to black, the more transparent the color goes. For example, if you open up the alpha channel and paint it all white, you will see an opaque square green base in the game. If you make the whole alpha black there won't be any base. Different shades of gray determine the level of opacity.

Shoot, using the alpha channel you can do whatever you want for the base, like so:

3022wet.jpg

You have to edit the alpha channels (these are integral to the file itself).

Rambler you guru! OK, you show you can mod the bases, but can you make them remain visible all the time by modding the layers? Of course, IDEALLY you would want the unit(s) you select to change base colour (like YELLOW), while all the non selected units bases would remain their the GREEN colour for example.

I need to make a Hello Kitty unit base.

Do it :D

Rambler you guru! OK, you show you can mod the bases, but can you make them remain visible all the time by modding the layers? Of course, IDEALLY you would want the unit(s) you select to change base colour (like YELLOW), while all the non selected units bases would remain their the GREEN colour for example.

I don't think it's possible to have the bases displayed all the time. I'd be willing to bet that the activation/deactivation of the bases is coded into the game. The image files don't contain any information that would tell the program under what circumstances they should be displayed.

The red wounded guys should be "I think they is using wallhacks".

The dead guys should be "You is a haxor".

Seriously - for the OP - your guys can get spreadout across multiple tiles so a "single CMx1" tile highlight wouldn't work. You do essentially have lots of little tiles bases that in the stock game are fairly discreet (unlike CMx1 when you turn them on). If you think you can't get used to the floating icons your best bet will be to find an ostentatious mod (bright blue or something) that stands out more. Not sure if the tile base bmps are different for each side though.

Are you guys who don't like the icons loosing sight of the fact that with the icons you can find out which of your units can see a given enemy unit? This alone is worth having them.

I just wish they would float a little lower, closer to the unit!

GaJ

I realise that the icons serve several functions like that and that is good.

But as you say, would be better if they "floated" closer to the unit. Surely this sis one number in a line of code.

Option to show coloured bases and the icon together would be OK by me.

I assume the old CMx1ers haven't noticed the screen-top row of small triangles running at the top. if you turn off the floating icons you can still have info on what's in front of you. You click on the triangle to select the unit and pull up his UI info panel. Admittedly it takes a "manly man" to play the game using just that method but some CMSF players preferred to play that way.

Are you guys who don't like the icons loosing sight of the fact that with the icons you can find out which of your units can see a given enemy unit? This alone is worth having them.

I just wish they would float a little lower, closer to the unit!

GaJ

Not sure if something has changed but I feel in CMSF they used to float lower and I actually prefer the way they are now.

I assume the old CMx1ers haven't noticed the screen-top row of small triangles running at the top. if you turn off the floating icons you can still have info on what's in front of you. You click on the triangle to select the unit and pull up his UI info panel. Admittedly it takes a "manly man" to play the game using just that method but some CMSF players preferred to play that way.

Right. People who went on to play CMSF are the manly men, and "old CMx1ers" are dopey bastards who wouln't notice triangles at the top of the screen if they had $$ painted on them.

Nice one Mikey.

GaJ

I'm happy enough with the floating icons, but is there a way of making them float a lot lower. Is there a setting somewhere? They are so high above the units that you often have to really look hard to find which unit they are referring to.

I'm happy enough with the floating icons, but is there a way of making them float a lot lower. Is there a setting somewhere? They are so high above the units that you often have to really look hard to find which unit they are referring to.

I'd be up for that as well as more vibrant bases which show the direction the units are facing.

Maybe it's just because I played CMSF a lot before this, but I have no problem linking the icons to where the unit actually is. There is the occasional case where half the team gets separated because of suppression and the icon floats in the middle, which always throws me off, but it's rare.

I think the bases are probably floating higher because of all the trees and bocage in CMBN, in CMSF most of the terrain was either open or urban, closer icons made sense.