Ground Moves Under Cursor

Hopefully someone can help with this.

After selecting a unit and one of the movement commands, as I move the cursor/highlighted squares over certain parts of the map, the ground under and near the cursor starts to rise and fall.

Groups of action spots rise up slightly, then fall again as I move the cursor to a different position, whilst other action spots then rise.

It is especially noticeable on the demo, in the training scenario, near the shed at the back of the houses where you are set up.

I have tried changing all the in game settings, and my GTS 250 card settings, to no avail.

I have the same problem with CMSF, although less noticeable.

Anyone else had this? Anyone know how to get rid of it?

Nah, that doesn't make sense, because the whole border of the road moves, not just the action spot.

At least, that's what I recall, I'll have to have another look.

While we're on this sort of thing: the other problem is that in the tutorial, the highlighting of the action spot is almost invisible for me. It seems like it's the same colour as the setup colour, or something. In fact, for a while it was driving me nuts not knowing where the click was going to go, until I realised that there was this faint thing telling me.

It's _much_ nicer when setting up on a red background, I've discovered.

Is this modable: a more visible action spot?

GaJ

Not sure if this is a problem with my rig or if it is something to do with the game's graphic engine.

Do any ATI users get this problem ( a minor one admittedly - is is an irritant which damages the immersion)?

Do other Nvidia users get it?

Well, I was sure it was the fact that the highlighted action squares for a unit (up to 3 different coloured squares) would show at the highest LOD resolution, while the surrounding action spots were displayed at the lower LODs. It certainly used to be obvious in CMSF when looking at roads in the distance - the blurry texture would suddenly snap to detailed, making it slightly jarring.

If it's actually something else entirely then I'm sorry to have caused any confusion! I can't say I've noticed this yet in the demo.

I too get that. It's kinda weird but meh...not a biggie for me. (NVidia GTX260)

Worse for me is when I right-click-and-hold to pan the camera whole swaths of terrain objects (I particularly recall it with hedge/bocage) move and/or disappear until I release the mouse button. That's much more jarring, but again, doesn't really affect gameplay so I can live with it.

It is an annoyance that spoils rather than ruins the game for me. I would rather CNBN was like any other game and not have the ground move about of its own accord. Sure I can still play the game, but the experience would be better for me if this problem did not exist.

I posted here to see if anyone knew how to fix it, not to get into a debate about how important it is. If it wasn't important to me I wouldn't have posted.

I've been trying to replicate this on my rig but I can't see it happening. I remeber seeing this happen a long while back when the action spot highlights were introduced (v1.10 I think) but somewhere along the line, this stopped happening. I played around with the Game Option settings to see if I could make it happen but so far... zilch.

I'll bring it up on the Beta boards to see if any of the other guys are able to replicate this issue and see if it can get fixed.

Wah! half way down page 2 after only 2+ hours and the game hasn't been released yet.

Sorry guys but I've tried changing my game settings, playing on large maps, toggling various things off and on in the game and yet the terrain remains as flat as a table when the action spots are highlighted. So, I fired up 'that other CMx2 game' to run a couple of tests and I saw no terrain deformation there either. So, I can't help you guys with this. We'll have to see what the other testers can come up with.

For your information, I have an NVIDEA GeForce 9600 GT

current driver is 8.17.12.5896

all 3D setttings are default

all game settings are maxxed out Best for all models,

Vertical Synch on

Antialiasing on

High priority Off

changing those last three doesn't do anything either. Believe me, I tried.

Kind of sounds like the graphic engine is struggling to keep up or because of option settings and is turning things on or off as needed except under certain conditions such as plotting waypoints which gives the effect of texture movement.

Well, I was sure it was the fact that the highlighted action squares for a unit (up to 3 different coloured squares) would show at the highest LOD resolution, while the surrounding action spots were displayed at the lower LODs. It certainly used to be obvious in CMSF when looking at roads in the distance - the blurry texture would suddenly snap to detailed, making it slightly jarring.

If it's actually something else entirely then I'm sorry to have caused any confusion! I can't say I've noticed this yet in the demo.

Yes you are right but it is not just textures, the terrain mesh itself is simplified at a distance and the cursor also makes that snap to the highest detail level.

Kind of sounds like the graphic engine is struggling to keep up or because of option settings and is turning things on or off as needed except under certain conditions such as plotting waypoints which gives the effect of texture movement.

I don't think this is it. It happens at low graphics model settings, and it happens even after all the trees and grass are drawn...

Wah! half way down page 2 after only 2+ hours and the game hasn't been released yet.

Sorry guys but I've tried changing my game settings, playing on large maps, toggling various things off and on in the game and yet the terrain remains as flat as a table when the action spots are highlighted. So, I fired up 'that other CMx2 game' to run a couple of tests and I saw no terrain deformation there either. So, I can't help you guys with this. We'll have to see what the other testers can come up with.

For your information, I have an NVIDEA GeForce 9600 GT

current driver is 8.17.12.5896

all 3D setttings are default

all game settings are maxxed out Best for all models,

Vertical Synch on

Antialiasing on

High priority Off

changing those last three doesn't do anything either. Believe me, I tried.

Thanks for your efforts on this. Like others have said, its an irritant more than anything; it is something you would not expect to see in a game and it does give a poor impression of quality. I like CMSF and play it daily. I just wish I didn't see terrain bobbling about as I play and the effect seems worse in the CMBN demo.

If I could post a video of it, would that help?

Thanks for your efforts on this. Like others have said, its an irritant more than anything; it is something you would not expect to see in a game and it does give a poor impression of quality. I like CMSF and play it daily. I just wish I didn't see terrain bobbling about as I play and the effect seems worse in the CMBN demo.

If I could post a video of it, would that help?

Thanks for posting Carl. I think a video would help. Sometimes, especially with visual issues like this that don't come up for everyone, the only real way for us to understand it is to see it in action.

How do you save a video of a WEGO turn on a Mac?

I can send you terrain deforming video even without the cursor being involved.

(I have to say though that the terrain morphing doesn't bother me and is the least of my troubles with the demo at the moment.)