CMBN Frame Rates/Performance

Well good to know it wasn't all in my head then.

Still, anyone got suggestions on boosting performance? I'd really like to never drop below 40 FPS if possible.

There's always possibilities doing it software-wise, but if the game engine has been crunched to bits and grouned to perfection, then I would go adding the multicore support. IMO that's the thing of the day, but might as well be wrong.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AFAIK ,CMBN is cpu bound.

So changing your processor to sumthing faster might help ( not very astonishing ). Or you could overclock your current system. Or turn down the graphical goodness ...

In other words... getting a better video card or more RAM won't really do much?

Sucks cause my old computer actually had a faster (single) CPU... and it seems most duo and quad cores all have around 2-2.5GHz so getting a new one won't really help me.

Sucks cause my old computer actually had a faster (single) CPU... and it seems most duo and quad cores all have around 2-2.5GHz so getting a new one won't really help me.

GHz rating isn't everything. Modern CPUs can process much more work per cycle, outperforming older CPUs with higher GHz rating by a large margin.

Best gaming CPU currently is IMO the core-i5 2500k sandybridge. Mine runs easily OC'ed to 4 GHz. And still CM:N has performance issues.

Let me tell you, as a Beta tester we had a framerate counter in the corner and I was always think "28fpi! 19fpi! Oh no!" Then I started playing the clean release candidate builds. No framerate counter was an immense weight off my mind. That darned framerate counter was like a nagging wife. My suggestion - abandon the framerate counter and judge game speed by the seat of your pants. If its fast its fast, if its slow its slow.

Be careful of blanket statements about the game being CPU bound or whatever. What is holding performance back will vary from system to system and what graphics settings are used. For example, if shadows on/off makes the biggest difference in performance then it's not your CPU holding you back because shadows are rendered by the GPU.

Let me tell you, as a Beta tester we had a framerate counter in the corner and I was always think "28fpi! 19fpi! Oh no!" Then I started playing the clean release candidate builds. No framerate counter was an immense weight off my mind. That darned framerate counter was like a nagging wife. My suggestion - abandon the framerate counter and judge game speed by the seat of your pants. If its fast its fast, if its slow its slow.

Ignorance is bliss eh?

But seriously, I can tell when it drops below 25 FPS very easily :P

If anyone here never drops below 40 or 50 FPS I'd love for them to post up their system specs.

Runs smooth at 1920x1200,All but AA as I see no difference

Windows Vista 32 bit

4300 @1.8GH Dual core

3gig RAM

Nvida 9800 GT video card

Probably old news to most, Just trying to help----- I assume everyone knows to turn of antivirus and spyware

Windows tweaks for performance (google) careful if you disable system restore(big drain),be sure to restore.

Get Ready Boost compatible flash drive, enable ready boost. I have 4gig and only uses 3, instead of writing to disk it puts and pulls from drive. Get Game Booster , (free program) to turn off backround uneeded programs,

Manually do-->Control panel---->Administrative services---->turn off firewall,and search

There are a ton of variables that go into how smooth the game runs on a particular machine. Sub systems, which are rarely described on spec sheets, can often make the difference between smooth performance and jerky results. These unsexy parts of your computer are generally the places that manufacturers cheap out on when trying to bring costs down. It allows them to have a good side-by-side comparison with a more expensive computer and trick the consumer into thinking he's getting a deal.

No matter what, Combat Mission is asking a LOT of any computer. It hits all systems very hard because it's trying to do a lot of different things all at once. Generally speaking, however, it is not the CPU that is the bottleneck. Usually it is subsystems, type of RAM, quantity of RAM, video card, amount of VRAM, etc. that have far more impact.

Then there are drivers. God how we hate drivers. We can have two nearly identical machines behaving completely different simply because of a driver difference. Worse, video cards often have "silent revisions" to their cards and therefore two cards with the same identical designation might behave differently on particular systems at particular times.

Very frustrating.

Shadows are also something that are prone to bad driver behavior. Either they don't draw correctly, or they kill the framerate, or both!

Generally speaking if you are typically over 30fps we don't think there's much room for complaint. It's plenty fast for a game like CM and is definitely faster than what CMBO typically put out when it was released. CMBO, for it's day, also pushed hardware very hard as CM:BN does now.

Best thing I can advise is to play around with various settings and see what happens.

Steve

My system is pretty solid, built myself as I've been doing since late 80's (dating myself horribly!)

cpu: Q9650@3.6Ghz

mb: Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6

mem: G.SKILL 4GB

case: P182

cooling: (5x)Scythe S-FLEX 120mm fans

ps: Corsair 750TX

vid: EVGA 580 GTX SSC

sc: SB X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro

md: WD6400AAKS 640GB

op: Samsung DVD±R SH-S203B

All drivers up to date and the system is solid. Benchmarks check out as expected.

I think CMBN is performing as expected, I don't think anything is wrong with my system either. It just would be nice to get a bit better performance out of the engine, CMSF runs kind of rough as well, although nothing like the day it came out.

If I could squeeze another 20fps on average out of the engine I'd be set, I can get this if I turn shadows off, but it really starts looking sterile in my opinion without them.

Firstly I just want to say I appreciate what BFC have done to put this game out. Well done.

My problems is the game is scrolling with the wasd keys. For some reason, scrolling with the mouse is fine. Turning with the Q and E keys is fine. Just the movement with wasd. It seems bizarre that the same function works with some inputs and not with others.

It is much worse when high up, and not at all a problem when at ground level. It really makes the game almost unplayable.

I have a pretty high end machine so I can't imagine it is any hardware issue, it is obviously a software issue.

What I would like to know is if the demo is truly representative of the full game engine-wise. i.e, if the problems I am having in the demo with stuttering and lag will also be experienced in the full game?

Just tried the "Closing the Pocket" scenario and got FPS as low as 12 on my system, grafics maxed @1920x1080. I do expect better performance on a system like mine, to be honest.

Core i5-2500k @4GHz, 8 Gig RAM, GTX 470, Win7 64 bit.

I too get low FPS in this scenario when going to ground level and scroll through the woods.

I would bet that this is because the wind movement of the (many) trees !!

Looks like a issue to me, maybe there is room for improvements about the wind movement model of trees because the other two scenarios without that much wind run perfect on highest settings with AA and V-Sync but with shadows turned off on my system.

@ Battlefront:

Please take a look at the wind movement of trees and the performance issue that comes with it !

I too get low FPS in this scenario when going to ground level and scroll through the woods.

I would bet that this is because the wind movement of the (many) trees !!

Looks like a issue to me, maybe there is room for improvements about the wind movement model of trees because the other two scenarios without that much wind run perfect on highest settings with AA and V-Sync but with shadows turned off on my system.

@ Battlefront:

Please take a look at the wind movement of trees and the performance issue that comes with it !

Wiggum's right, the performance hit is indeed caused by the moving trees.

Check the FPS in the upper left corner.

Lots of trees and units, no wind:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll92/Para_Bellum/CMtrees01.jpg

Lots of trees and units, wind:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll92/Para_Bellum/CMtrees02.jpg

Massive difference.