First Impressions

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't set-up your forces in the "turtorial" mission.

I know, it's a bit strange.

Um? I could. Just have them 'move' to somewhere in the setup (blue) zone. They'll ping straight there. Move orders set outside the setup zone will be acted upon in turn 1.

I think it is a perfectly fine set-up (for the attacking side that is): they start safely at a farm, and have to do the approach themselves. It felt very natural.

Agreed, it's still a bit baffling for someone not aware of that and trying to set up is forces. ;)

Um? I could. Just have them 'move' to somewhere in the setup (blue) zone. They'll ping straight there. Move orders set outside the setup zone will be acted upon in turn 1.

I'm talking about the training mission "The Road to Berlin" where no set-up zone exists.

Been a fan of CMx1 and WeGo since I first tried CMBB. The long years of waiting are over!

First impressions: quite good actually. The scrolling controls will take some time to adapt but the game feels great! However, in order to fully enjoy the experience, I'm wondering if these issues are either fixable through some options in full game or will they be fixed in near future (these address only WeGo since I haven't tried real time play):

1. Is there a way to move the command marker (the dot at the end of e.g. move command)? I'd like to micro manage it but I cannot find a way.

2. In CMx1 there were C&C lines between HQ and subordinates. I'd like to see that.

3. The green 'troops selected' bases are almost impossible to notice behind the grass. Option to select base color would be nice.

4. Is there a way to see all current commands? I cannot always remember where I oreder this group to and where that one to.

5. I'd like to see issued commands during replay so I can anticipate (or watch in horror) the reactions of my troops.

6. The red button which starts and ends the replay is deceptive. Texts "Start replay" and "End replay" would eliminate accidental 'start replay' presses.

The main mechanics of the game is great and I think CMx1 has a worthy heir. Grats to Battlefront crew!

Cheers from Finland,

Moth

I'm talking about the training mission "The Road to Berlin" where no set-up zone exists.

You're quite correct. I had only had a quick dash into the game, and had foolishly assumed the scenario at the top was the Tutorial one. My mistake...

I thought preliminary fire-missions are supposed to be spot on?

At last the manual says so.

Note, I'm not talking about in-battle fire-missions, I'm talking about fire-missions ordered in the set-up phase. (christ, that's a lot of - :D)

Odd, are you using them on map thru a HQ to do the pre-barrage or directly targetting them?

OK Fair enough, I suspect the idea of "Road to Berlin" is to get you in the the game and in the "action" of playing the game ASAP. Sort of like "Just hit GO! and Play!" the two other scenarios offer the opportunity to move units around in the set-up area in the set-up phase if you like to play around with that. (it is JUST a Demo, and I think the idea was to get new players playing the game and some combat action going right at the start of playing the game) ;) FWIW

No, there is only pause, 1:1 running, and skip forward/backward.

With interesting scenes I uses the latter a lot, to view the same thing from different angles.

Hmm okay. I guess I have to adjust to that then. I wont complain. :P Atleast there is a WEGO.

Just a quick question:How do I change the facing of trenches during the setup phase? (Bocage Tutuorial)

I can move them with the (N) command, but no rotation (a la the old (O) command from CMx1)

You have to place two trenches next to each other to adjust the direction they're facing.

IE:

=

Decloaking to join in the cheering. :)

Game looks absolutely stunning, and runs fine even with everything (except AA) ramped up to max.

Least during the Tutorial; what (if anything) happens when more units are added on the map is something to discover in the coming days.

Had a small problem with the ATI left-click accuracy (resulting in one of my Shermans murdering one of my own squads, instead of hitting the farmhouse right in front of it :o ), but after toggling the 'ATI left-click thingie' in Options, no more problem.

Now, if I could only remember to keep troops ON the objectives until the end of battle, it wouldn't have been a draw. :D

One minor niggle (also mentioned previously) is the base used when moving units is a little hard to see.

Nothing I can't live with, but there it is.

System: AMD 620 QuadCore 2.6 GHz, ATI Radeon 6670, 4G RAM, Win 7.

1. Is there a way to move the command marker (the dot at the end of e.g. move command)? I'd like to micro manage it but I cannot find a way.

No, it is on the todo list for a long time, but it seems more complicated to implement than in CMx1.

2. In CMx1 there were C&C lines between HQ and subordinates. I'd like to see that.

In the lower left corner there is an indication of the command state with respect to higher command - and you can jump to the superior by clicking there, In the middle there are tabs that show subordinate units, but most practical is to select a unit, and its whole platoon will light up, and when you double click a commander, his whole formation will be selected. That is a quick way to find everyone.

3. The green 'troops selected' bases are almost impossible to notice behind the grass. Option to select base color would be nice.

I had no problem seeing them, but it may depend on videocard and light conditions. However, bases are moddable, and in CMSF we have seen a whole array of very clear and very modest bases, so they will appear shortly for CM:BN.

4. Is there a way to see all current commands? I cannot always remember where I oreder this group to and where that one to.

Yes, there is a short-cut key for that: go to the short-cut menu and click: then they are all shown. You can toggle it on and off.

5. I'd like to see issued commands during replay so I can anticipate (or watch in horror) the reactions of my troops.

Commands are not shown during replay, but if you select a unit, there is a window in the lower left that tells you what each individual soldier is doing.

6. The red button which starts and ends the replay is deceptive. Texts "Start replay" and "End replay" would eliminate accidental 'start replay' presses.

Well, you will only make that error once or twice :-)

A bit confusing that the same key shortcut did different things depending on which menu you were in (movement, combat). But I haven't played CM since 2006 so I guess I have to re-learn. Or remap the keys.

Now I'm just waiting for the DL only option so I can buy the full game.

Well after finishing the tutorial mission I have to say I'm impressed!

First off the performance seemed to be significantly better than that of CMSF. (odd considering there's much more foliage)

Also, I was quite shocked to see virtually an entire squad of mine get wiped out when a German AT gun fired on the wooden bridge they were crossing near the first objective LOL. It collapsed and all but two guys got insta-KIAed.

Also nice to see more guys surrendering it seems.

One quick bug report though:

buggedbuilding.jpg

The small destroyed building shown here got glitched... I had both my HQs in there at one point (though I thought only one at a time till I looked over and saw both in there)... and they couldn't get out!! Finally an enemy artillery shell came in and landed directly on the building and killed all 6 guys except for 1. Even when it was destroyed and all his comrades dead the guy still refused to leave the building. Finally I tried a "face" order and THEN issued a move order. That fixed it. Also, no one could move BACK into the building after it was blown up, which I thought was strange... needless to say I was unable to provide buddy aid.

Anyways, something somewhat minor to look into.

Also... I was playing on elite, which is supposed to not show me specific enemy infantry names etc. but it was not only showing me who was an MG and all but actually telling me their unit name! Am I doing something wrong here or is the demo automatically on easy mode?

Been a fan of CMx1 and WeGo since I first tried CMBB. The long years of waiting are over!

First impressions: quite good actually. The scrolling controls will take some time to adapt but the game feels great! However, in order to fully enjoy the experience, I'm wondering if these issues are either fixable through some options in full game or will they be fixed in near future (these address only WeGo since I haven't tried real time play):

The main mechanics of the game is great and I think CMx1 has a worthy heir. Grats to Battlefront crew!

Cheers from Finland,

Moth

Its always good to make suggestions to improve the game, I think those good all be nice improvements. Its a very reasonable list. The reply in the above post is also a good response to the list here.

Moth... also realize that you can tell who's in who's formation/unit by clicking on any of the units in it. The rest of the units in that formation will light up as well, while units not in the formation will have their icons stay "darkened". Same basic idea as CMx1's CnC lines. I actually like it better, less stuff cluttering the screen and you get the same info just as quickly.

The small destroyed building shown here got glitched... I had both my HQs in there at one point (though I thought only one at a time till I looked over and saw both in there)... and they couldn't get out!!

I would suggest that is worth a look see.

Also... I was playing on elite, which is supposed to not show me specific enemy infantry names etc. but it was not only showing me who was an MG and all but actually telling me their unit name! Am I doing something wrong here or is the demo automatically on easy mode?

Hmm, I was playing in Iron mode, and I never saw anything other than generic infantry symbols on the enemy icons. I didn't bother to look at the lower display when I selected them however.

Hmm, I was playing in Iron mode, and I never saw anything other than generic infantry symbols on the enemy icons. I didn't bother to look at the lower display when I selected them however.

Ya that's what I'm talking about, not the icons but the display. Perhaps I misunderstood the manual and Iron/Elite mode simply means you only see generic infantry icons but can still get detailed info if you click on them. It'd be nice if you could turn that off... TMI IMO. What's the purpose of only having generic infantry icons but still having detailed info available if you click on them?

Ya that's what I'm talking about, not the icons but the display. Perhaps I misunderstood the manual and Iron/Elite mode simply means you only see generic infantry icons but can still get detailed info if you click on them. It'd be nice if you could turn that off... TMI IMO. What's the purpose of only having generic infantry icons but still having detailed info available if you click on them?

At least you are not bothered when you don't select them, but I did select a few of them to look who had LOS, but I never looked at the lower screen, so that was fine.

In the old CMSF form all the MG and AT units screamed their presence at you.

It is different when you play head to head in competition mode: then one could be tempted to look at these data.