Assault Command is rather cool.

Just realised that when using the ASSAULT command in CMSF twice (ie two legs) the teams bunny hop i.e team one from home to leg 1 then stops and covers while team two gets to leg 1 , then team one jumps to leg two etc .... how cool is that :D .... tentative link to CMBN i know.

However splitting teams, imo is more effective since it creates 2 distinct units.

The assault commands allows the squad to move in fire teams, but they share suppression iirc so if the forward team is hit hard and quickly suppressed then the covering team will also be suppressed. Whereas splitting the squad into two teams insures that the covering team will not be suppressed if the moving team is.

Just realised that when using the ASSAULT command in CMSF twice (ie two legs) the teams bunny hop i.e team one from home to leg 1 then stops and covers while team two gets to leg 1 , then team one jumps to leg two etc .... how cool is that :D .... tentative link to CMBN i know.

It's a very useful order. Just don't do it over too large a distance otherwise they'll want to sit down and have a tab and a brew. I certainly would.

I told you you'd like SF given half a chance ;)

Metal note to listen to you more often :D

However splitting teams, imo is more effective since it creates 2 distinct units. The assault commands allows the squad to move in fire teams, but they share suppression iirc ....

Ah really , didnt spot that in this circumstance due to lack of incoming fire. Thanks for the tip.

Also the final destination for the assault command usually ends up having troops too bunched up....more so than other commands

hmm , ok so i looks good but split teams is better. thanks again.

It's a very useful order. Just don't do it over too large a distance otherwise they'll want to sit down and have a tab and a brew. I certainly would.

:D

Metal note to listen to you more often :D

Ah really , didnt spot that in this circumstance due to lack of incoming fire. Thanks for the tip.

hmm , ok so i looks good but split teams is better. thanks again.

:D

All true except for when you are playing RED and can't split teams (special forces and airborne excepted). :) Then you have to use the "assault" command.

Apparently it has to do with doctrine, where the squad is not trained to split into two independent fire teams. I personally would have rather seen CMSF go about it by allowing the split for RED squads and then imposing severe leadership quality penalties on team B, rather than just not allowing it at all. You can, afterall, use the assault command, which naturally splits teams for a limited distance, and also the HQ squad (which is simply a 9-man rifle squad that has the platoon leader attached) has a 2-man AT team hard-coded split out. That is why Syrian rifle platoons in CMSF have a 7-man HQ team and 2-man AT team. This is not a real-life organisation, but simply a concession to allow more flexibility in the game.

Also the final destination for the assault command usually ends up having troops too bunched up....more so than other commands

That's actually not possible. Each Team within a Squad occupies it's own Action Spot. They never purposefully occupy each others' Action Spots, though it can sometimes happen when guys are passing through and get hit with suppressive fire. Which means no matter what Command you use for a 3 Team Squad the end disposition is identical to the start disposition in terms of density. Terrain considerations, however, can influence spacing within an Action Spot. However, that is purely influenced by the terrain and not the Command.

Steve

That is why Syrian rifle platoons in CMSF have a 7-man HQ team and 2-man AT team. This is not a real-life organisation, but simply a concession to allow more flexibility in the game.

Actually, the reason for that is coding limitation that was unforeseen when we set up the basic guts of the game. CMx2 does not allow an HQ Team to be a part of a Squad and a Team is limited to 7 men. The Syrians, and it turns out Germans and Dutch, have organizations where the Platoon Leader is also a Squad Leader instead of being fully independent. This poses a bunch of problems for the underlying code because Squads are inherently made up of Teams and are almost always more than 7 men. If these limitations didn't exist the Syrians would have three Squads in their Rifle Platoons instead of the HQ Team, AT Team, and two Squads it has in the game now.

This is a significant problem that requires an overhaul to the UI as well as the game guts. Hopefully this will happen for the next big release (i.e. not a Module). It's not much of a problem for CM:BN, thankfully, but there are some instances where I had to fudge work arounds (mostly weapons units).

Steve

That's actually not possible. Each Team within a Squad occupies it's own Action Spot. They never purposefully occupy each others' Action Spots, though it can sometimes happen when guys are passing through and get hit with suppressive fire. Which means no matter what Command you use for a 3 Team Squad the end disposition is identical to the start disposition in terms of density. Terrain considerations, however, can influence spacing within an Action Spot. However, that is purely influenced by the terrain and not the Command.

Steve

This feels odd, because like you know, it's your game. But it sounds like you are talking CMSF as well as Normandy. And well I get the bunching with Assault so much I'd say "all the time". There was a sizable thread about it in SF forum and consensus was yeah, that's a limitation of the command. Since then I used it less because two teams in one action spot is another risk to factor in.

Also in SF when giving the command I think only one action spot highlight appears at destination giving the appearance that it's working as designed.

All true except for when you are playing RED and can't split teams (special forces and airborne excepted). Then you have to use the "assault" command.
In that case i like to assault by squads. I really don't like the assault command and have used only a handful of occasions.

Steve

I just ran some tests. Flat ground, no incoming fire, clear ground, no trees or anything like that. Ran it over and over with the same results. Start spread out, end in much tighter circle. Looks to me that they end on 1 action spot as opposed to 3 separate action spots. I have the screenshots on photobucket....gotta figure out how to post them here.

You tried the Nato module yet Scottie?

Yeah Phil , grabbed the CMSF module bundle as soon as it came out and have never looked back :) Despite the fictional conflict and bland terrain (IMO) there are some extremely enjoyable tactical problems to solve , very rewarding when it all works out :)

Hope the new member of family is doing well, hope you are managing to get some sleep these days :)

However splitting teams, imo is more effective since it creates 2 distinct units.

The assault commands allows the squad to move in fire teams, but they share suppression iirc so if the forward team is hit hard and quickly suppressed then the covering team will also be suppressed. Whereas splitting the squad into two teams insures that the covering team will not be suppressed if the moving team is.

And therein lies the problem... until it's fixed I split teams. Of course I still use assault command sometimes when I just don't have time to split teams and micro to that level.