Game sounds

How have the game sounds been done? Have you been recording the sounds of the actual weapons used in the game? If yes, did you have all the small arms used in the game or do some weapons have "wrong" sounds? And how about the vehicles, did you rev up your cars in the backyard or how authentic they are?

The VAAR footage is taken from a beta build of the game, so the sounds are a mixture of the 'final' sounds and 'placeholders' from CM1 and CMSF that are just there until the final sounds are put in.

As to how these sounds are recorded, I don't actually know. I do however predict a metric tonne of sound mods after the release regardless of the quality of the sounds that ship with game!

How have the game sounds been done? Have you been recording the sounds of the actual weapons used in the game? If yes, did you have all the small arms used in the game or do some weapons have "wrong" sounds? And how about the vehicles, did you rev up your cars in the backyard or how authentic they are?

If we are lucky the Tiger sounds will be taken from a Porsche :)

I wouldn,t be able to tell the difference (except for maybe an MG 42) but the quality of sound always adds a lot to a game for me.

I don't know where they're officially getting the sounds but this game couldn't have been done without the internet. References on every last widget immediately at our fingertips, down to what 1940s French milk jugs look like. Just recently a Youtube clip of a rifle grenade being fired (BLAM!) was located for reference and the game adjusted accordingly. No need to speculate on what its supposed to sound like. :)

I don't know where they're officially getting the sounds but this game couldn't have been done without the internet. References on every last widget immediately at our fingertips, down to what 1940s French milk jugs look like. Just recently a Youtube clip of a rifle grenade being fired (BLAM!) was located for reference and the game adjusted accordingly. No need to speculate on what its supposed to sound like. :)

Does this mean that 'New' sounds have been sourced for everything or will I be hearing, yet again "take a look at that" from my US infantry every 5 seconds?

One of the disappointing things about CMSF was having the US stock CMBO voices all over again. The Brit module took the right approach though.

The sounds are going to be mod fodder, so I doubt it will take long for alternate weapons and chatter sounds to arrive.

Given the increasing lack of ear witnesses to the actual events, I wonder what would be more popular with the gaming public...A game that sounds like the films and shows we've seen about the war, or a game that re-created the actual sounds as closely as possible?

Does this mean that 'New' sounds have been sourced for everything or will I be hearing, yet again "take a look at that" from my US infantry every 5 seconds?

One of the disappointing things about CMSF was having the US stock CMBO voices all over again. The Brit module took the right approach though.

I agree. The voice sounds are one area where there is room for serious improvement. I was really disappointed to hear the voices in the CM:BN AAR videos. Recycled CM:SF stuff, which was already weak to start with. It really destroys the sense of immersion.

We need Mord to crank out some more of his great voice mods.

The sounds are going to be mod fodder, so I doubt it will take long for alternate weapons and chatter sounds to arrive.

Given the increasing lack of ear witnesses to the actual events, I wonder what would be more popular with the gaming public...A game that sounds like the films and shows we've seen about the war, or a game that re-created the actual sounds as closely as possible?

I would opt for the real sounds over Hollywood sounds but I'm sure it would take sh*tloads of time and effort to get every sound right.

But hopefully the sounds are not the same as in CM:SF because I think its a big factor in proper immersion.

The makers of the big name FPS's go to great lengths to get the correct sounds

Hey, Steve how about a Battlefront trip to shoot some of these weapons, surely business expenses are tax-deductable?