Summary of Battlefront Game projects March 2011

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah right, I have been away for awhile. Once installed its just clicking on the right executable right? From the sounds of it there will be 3. Normandy, Bulge and East Front, god Who knows maybe Meditereanean...

but I wont hold my breath, although simulating fighting in Yugoslavia, Greece, Italy and North Africa could be cool, once everyone is bored with the lush greeness of Europe... LOL Well maybe alot of Africa was dusty and brown, but Italy and other parts are very nice.

Anyways good to know, thanks Gryphonne.

There will be one executable for CMBN. As you buy the modules they are added to the game. You will be able to play the base game and any modules you have purchased from there.

Yup, which is why all us East Front fans should be happy we're last. But it'll be at least 4 years until we see all of it done, 41-45.

It will, by it's own creators, starting in about 3 weeks on March 25th when

released. Although it will be several years of add-ons until it gets as huge as the original IL2. But hey, gotta start sometime.

Bah...Rowan's Battle of Britian or the BOBII by Wings of Victory is much better that IL2. All IL2 had over BOB was the better graphics for planes and the minor multiplayer....it could never put over 1000+ planes in the air like BoB did for Black Thursday.

You talking about AI planes? Cause shooting down a bot is about as satisfying as eating dirt compared to de-winging a human opponent with mad skillz. There's nothing like the feeling of being in a rolling vertical scissors with some guy where one wrong move and you're a dead man. And there's nothing like getting him to make a mistake and then blasting 20mm up his ass. Or just diving on some poor spitfire in a 190 at 800kph and killing him with a perfect deflection shot and getting a "Wtf was that???" response :D.

Not sure about how good the FM is in BOB too...

The reason cliffs of dover has taken soooo long to come out is because Oleg and the team are obsessed with getting the flight and damage models as accurate as possible so I'm putting my money on them.

FM in BoB was top notch. The main difference is the difficulty in shooting down fighters due to said FM. Just surviving an intercept as RAF was amazing...especially if you didn't send them up in time and the Hurris and Spits are struggling to gain altitude while the JahgSaffels are slashing down in 109s....

Add in the fact that you CAN run the entire defence of Britian...or now play a single squadron and let the computer run that part..AMAZING.

IL2 looked pretty...and if you got into a few of the moderated campaigns it was ok, but its single player SUCKED hard.

I remember BoB... the sheer size of the game was massive, just to see the sky filled with so many planes was nuts... but Iam not sure why I lost interest. I have played IL-2 for some time, even going as far as IL-2 1946... which is very fun.

I think my favorite Sim was Falcon 3.0 Where the missions you completed or not completed had small impacts in the Campaign. It kept track of all your Pilots, reserve pilots and planes, and as Wing Commander you got to pick your Pilots for specific missions. That was a blast. (Yikes sort of off Topic)

Off topic, yes...fun, yes.

BoB has the same type of dynamic campaign that Falcon had. You determine what gets protected or not, which squadrons will do it, move squadrons in and out of the fight...etc.

All that in addition to a great flight sim. Although IL-2 wins the multiplayer hands down...no contest.

FM in BoB was top notch. The main difference is the difficulty in shooting down fighters due to said FM. Just surviving an intercept as RAF was amazing...especially if you didn't send them up in time and the Hurris and Spits are struggling to gain altitude while the JahgSaffels are slashing down in 109s....

Add in the fact that you CAN run the entire defence of Britian...or now play a single squadron and let the computer run that part..AMAZING.

IL2 looked pretty...and if you got into a few of the moderated campaigns it was ok, but its single player SUCKED hard.

Like I said, multiplayer's where it's at. I participate in an organized meta-game (i.e. the commanders move armor/infantry columns around the map to seize towns and drop paratroopers, etc.) Three phases in each campaign, one early war, one mid war and one late war. Currently in mid war phase flying as RAF. I normally take the Typhoon... only RAF plane that can keep pace with those damn 190s. Plus I like having 4 20mm cannons :D.

Anyways, we average probably around 70-80 people every night (3x a week), split into about 10 different squadrons. It's a blast coordinating attacks on a town or large armor formation... and of course flying CAP to make sure your Jabo fighters don't get blown out of the sky. And then of course the chaos when your (all human) squadron gets jumped by some guys flying at 8k.

And taking out bombers is no easy task in IL-2 I don't know where you got that from. Even just an A-20 with a single rear gun is a pain cause the thing's pretty fast so it's hard to get a cross shot (and it's got a bunch of guns in the front so you don't want to attack head on).

My squadron attacked a large formation of B-17s, one of our guys was in a 262, the rest of us in 190A9s or Doras or 109K4s and we got chewed up bad. And the guys I fly with are VERY good (you would be if you've been playing for a decade lol). Our two best pilots have a K/D ratio of 7-1. (again, this is against HUMANS)

Anyways, shooting down humans > shooting down bots for me. I also like the ENORMOUS plane set in IL-2. Over 350 planes to fly. (of course this includes all the variations of the 109, spit etc.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
As there have been several questions about this lately I thought I'd re-do a thread I did in Dec '09 and post a summary of known Battlefront projects.

Combat Mission: Shock Force

Base Game Released July 07

US Marines Module Released Sept 08

British Forces Module Released July 09

NATO module Released Oct 2010

Combat Mission :Afghanistan”

Base game (only one announced) Released:Sept 2010

Combat Mission :Battle for Normandy

Base Game Release first half 2011

“Commonwealth” Module Release ?

“Market-Garden Sept ’44 ” Will include new terrain. Module Release ?

“Battlepack" Even more ’44 stuff” Module Release ?

Combat Mission “Battle of the Bulge” (unofficial name)

Base Game Release ?

Possible modules not mentioned yet ( probably at least Commonwealth, and Spring ’45)

Combat Mission “Operation Bagration” June '44 (unofficial name)

Base Game Release ?

Possible Modules not mentioned yet (Finns hinted at, plus follow ons to end of war.)

Also mentioned was a desire to do Eastfront games for 1943,1942 and 1941 in that order.

Combat Mission Shock Force II (unofficial name) Modern Combat between major powers in a temperate setting.

Base Game Release?

Possible modules not mentioned yet.

No no no, one thing is Wrong: Shock force 2 will never come out!!!!!! I hate the first one and the second one wont be better! No, no, no. Sorry, But I hope, Battlefront will never never go back to modern Warfare-****. and if, PLEASE WW3 with chinese or so! not Talban VS ****ing Modern Army, that kick asses of them and you have to buy modules, if you want to have fin with the game on quickbattle, because taliban have no chance against superior troops of Modern time! than you can do Wehrmacht VS Greek and that is even fairer! Lets do Wehrmacht VS Poland! No, toooooo fair! Lets do Wehrmacht VS civilians with Pistols! Yes, that sounds after shock force! The special weapon of the Civilian unit were Stones and Sticks! Wow! That is Modern Warfare combat mission made in WW2. Great! Its so much fun ;-) No really, I hatet shock force and it will never change!

No no no, one thing is Wrong: Shock force 2 will never come out!!!!!! I hate the first one and the second one wont be better! No, no, no. Sorry, But I hope, Battlefront will never never go back to modern Warfare-****. and if, PLEASE WW3 with chinese or so! not Talban VS ****ing Modern Army, that kick asses of them and you have to buy modules, if you want to have fin with the game on quickbattle, because taliban have no chance against superior troops of Modern time! than you can do Wehrmacht VS Greek and that is even fairer! Lets do Wehrmacht VS Poland! No, toooooo fair! Lets do Wehrmacht VS civilians with Pistols! Yes, that sounds after shock force! The special weapon of the Civilian unit were Stones and Sticks! Wow! That is Modern Warfare combat mission made in WW2. Great! Its so much fun ;-) No really, I hatet shock force and it will never change!

well on that point, many including me, are eagerly looking forward to CMSF2 and some preliminary work has already been done. ;)

well on that point, many including me, are eagerly looking forward to CMSF2 and some preliminary work has already been done. ;)

Oh, can you tell us more without breaking NDA? ;)

Soldat Hans; Did you not read that Shock force 2 is modern combat between MAJOR powers set in a temperate area? So you need not fear.

How about a Pacific version....Guadacanal, Tarawa, Iwo Jima, New Guinea, Saipan, Okinawa, Marines storming the Beaches, Climbing Sirobachi, Jungle Warfare, Banzai Charges, etc.....

Sorry Knightflyer but Battlefront has repeatedly said they have no interest in doing WWII Pacific. The didn't say never ever but I wouldn't count on it.

How about a Pacific version....Guadacanal, Tarawa, Iwo Jima, New Guinea, Saipan, Okinawa, Marines storming the Beaches, Climbing Sirobachi, Jungle Warfare, Banzai Charges, etc.....

Not sure about that.... Alot of jungle fighting, minimal use of armor = boring. Lots of Allied Naval and Air Power, although the battles were intense the material used was pretty onesided as the Allies had mostly complete Air Superiority and Naval advantages.

I dont know... could be cool but I think BF team have their work cut out for them for the Russian, Meditereanean and the other goodies for the European, Ost Front, and North Africa campaigns.

Although what would be nice is a updated "Great Naval Battles" game with killer graphics. But thats a whole nother issue.

I think a few more exclamation marks and cuss words are needed for emphasis, to ensure everyone takes you seriously.

I'm not sure what CMSF you've played, but by NATO the campaigns were quite difficult, even with the differences in technology. At any rate, CMSF2 is going to involve modern Russian equipment, not a third world country's army.

I imagine that when Battlefront announces CMSF2, there's going to be a lot of hate from some people directed towards it for diverting attention from the precious WW2 setting. Guess what folks? The world doesn't revolve around your preferences, so you'll have to share CMx2 with everyone else.

No no no, one thing is Wrong: Shock force 2 will never come out!!!!!!

Many a person predicted that modern combat would be the death of BFC. Turns out, there was a lot of people who were interested in it so we'll be getting more.

Anyway, SF was a good game.

E-100. See folks. I was not making it up last time I mentioned it (well actually it was the Maus I mentioned). I'd be happy with just the Sturmmoeser Tiger, and the Jadgtiger too of course. Maybe add the Centurion for the Allies just for fun.

And the US T28 Super Heavy tank to counter the E100 !!

tumblr_lg0shrI5cP1qfvn9eo1_500.png