Welcome to the Fourth Annual....

D-Day Release Thread!!

Thats right, it's about that time of year again, when posts start showing up regarding the possibility of Combat Mission: Normandy being released on June 6th.

So I figured everyone can post their "I wonder if it will be released on D-Day" questions here, in one location. Better than having it scattered all over the Forum.

I'm going to go out here on a complete limb and say: NO. And I would say that anyway even if I wasn't on the beta test team.

Has BFC ever, ever, ever released a product because it coincided with some sort of anniversary or whatever? Not to my knowledge. (Incidentally, if I'm wrong, please correct me! :))

If I can be serious for a minute I don't think BFC have managed community expectations very well. Releasing screenshots etc is fine but the reality is there is a genuine community out there that keeps getting strung along with nothing official in terms of release date.

I understand BFC don't know exactly when CM:BN will be released due to ongoing development but come on give the community some idea.

Though setting incorrect release dates have never benefited anyone either, company or community. Either way, your'e getting the wrath of the community. I'm perfectly fine with "someday this year". Actually, on the total war community sites, there's a running gag of adding a couple of months/weeks to *any* dates the company releases.

Yeah, it's definitely a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. The way I see it, BFC have no ulterior motive in regards to opening up the forum, posting screenies, etc. There's been a clamour for a CMBN forum for a long time now (before it was known to be called CMBN), and of course, you don't open up a forum without any bones. It's not like they get anything out of stringing us along, these are the forums after all, most anyone here will buy it regardless of how long before the release they started posting stuff.

Though setting incorrect release dates have never benefited anyone either, company or community. Either way, your'e getting the wrath of the community. I'm perfectly fine with "someday this year". Actually, on the total war community sites, there's a running gag of adding a couple of months/weeks to *any* dates the company releases.

CA despite their faults do actually give the public an expected release date.

Yeah, it's definitely a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. The way I see it, BFC have no ulterior motive in regards to opening up the forum, posting screenies, etc. There's been a clamour for a CMBN forum for a long time now (before it was known to be called CMBN), and of course, you don't open up a forum without any bones. It's not like they get anything out of stringing us along, these are the forums after all, most anyone here will buy it regardless of how long before the release they started posting stuff.

Mate, I just think they should say 'aiming for mid June' or something, every time I come to the forums there seems to be another thread guesing how far away the fricken release date is, I'm just saying BFC need to manage this a bit better.

The fact that this threads title is true, is pretty unfortunate. The old tradeoff exists between telling people it will be released 'soon' (as at December 10th) and being wrong or telling people it will be released 'when it's ready', which sounds arrogant and contemptous to customers. Personally I think customers are more forgiving of the former, especially when people give updates explaining why delays have occurred. It brings customers along with you and makes them feel more part of the process.

Now, rant completed, you can rely on me to send some fulsome praise, when this is released someday.

I agree that some idea of progress would be helpful from an end user point of view, at the moment all we can do is guess. Between X and Y months would help manage our expectation levels for sure. On the other hand I do understand why its not given being involved in a large migration project at the moment and fighting the release of a date to end customers to avoid the consequences of missing it :)

I wonder if it will be released on D-Day?

Infact the only date it will for sure not be released is 6.6.2011.

A programmer friend of mine says that "allways multiple your timetable by 3,14". So what's 3,14 x 6.6.2011?

12.10.2011 is the release date. And that, good folks, is a fact.

Well at least it would be if they ever planned on releasing it 6.6.2011. Which they are not. So this monologue is infact unnecessary on so many levels.

Having said that...

I wonder if it will be released on D-Day