Thread of Gratidue

I would like to express my gratitude to Battlefront and everyone else involved in making CMx1 and CMx2 games. They have truly changed the way of war gaming for me and many others. I was always interested in WWII and modern military history but my gaming background began with original Steel Panthers. My interest increased with other Steel Panther games and I eventually ended up in designing and testing SP scenarios and games.

While I was involved in SP games I tried numerous other war games that were released at the same time but I never really got into any other, not until I came in touch with CMBB for the first time. From the first time I started the game I was hooked, I just could not get enough and I kept coming back for more. My favorites were QBs where I could pick my forces and get it on. Eventually I found the Battlefronts web site and realized that there was CMBO as well. It took me a while to find the game but I eventually did and boy was I thrilled to be in Normandy especially after downloading couple of mods which made the whole experience so much better. Then came CMAK and I didn’t miss on that one either even tough desert battles didn’t feel like that much fun due to the vast free landscape which limited sneaking tactics.

Then came the announcement of new CMx2 game which was supposed to be in modern environment. Many were doubtful of the setting but for me it felt like refreshment. I didn’t mind the change from WWII, I even looked forward to manage modern tanks and rockets on a battlefield. For me the only negative was the desert environment which I knew was going to resemble long duels of CMAK and prevent sneaking which I’m so fond of.

Then came 2007 and CM:SF was released, I downloaded the demo and installed it on my fairly new PC. Boy was I disappointed, it looked dull and the frame rate was awful. On top of that my pixel soldiers were dying like flies and I could not understand a thing of what was going on. The bad frame rate kept me from trying. Years went by and I did almost no war gaming at all, tried an operational type of game but never stuck to it for longer periods.

Last year I wondered what happened with Battlefront and where you were at. I visited the site and saw that CM:A was released, looked in the forums and was surprised by the positive reactions. The general impression was that it felt like CMx1 games, I quickly downloaded the demo and got immediately hooked. Besides from being fun it was also running fine on my laptop! I bought the digital download version and played until I finished both campaigns.

During my Afghan tour I started to wonder what had happened to CM:SF, I browsed the forums for a while and decided to download latest demo. Once again I was surprised to see it finally run with a decent frame rate. I quickly bought it and started with the American Campaign. When I initially heard about module thinking I was like cmon that’s not fair, I want all in one. I must admit however that with modules we get a whole new level of accuracy. Shortly after NATO was released and I’m now owner of all modules for CM:SF. I started with the British campaign yesterday  Still have Marines and NATO left.

With CMx2:BN around the corner and CMx2:Barbarossa and CM:SF2 planned I have a lot of war gaming fun to look forward to. I would like to thank Steve and Charles and everyone else involved in CMx2 for everything they have done and I wish them tons of success in the future. Keep doing what you do and I’m sure existing CM fan base will just grow and grow. I know I will stick around and enjoy your art called Combat Mission. I salute you!

Fellow Combat Missionaries please join me in this thread and express your gratitude to Battlefront staff for their fine effort of bringing this game to us.

Sincerely

Tank Hunter

+1!

Combat Mission is right up there with IL2 in my list of all time great games. Of all the money I've spent on games, very few I have gotten my moneys worth out of. CMBO,CMBB,CMAK,CMSF have all cost me pennies a day for all the time I have invested into them. Not many games make my short list, but the fact that EVERY combat mission game has made it, says a lot about the quality of the work going on here.

Again, Thank You!

I am quite grateful but then I would be grateful if I got to make wargames for a living too. I know they love it and it's not about the money though I hope CMBN will become quite lucarative for them. I think the only bad part of the job is dealing with us here on the forums, though I'm sure the long hours when they were rushing to meet the CMSF contractual release date probably sucked too. Not that they probably don't regularly put in long hours but that must have been extra suckage.

I am also grateful. I've been a fan since 2001. After CMSF came out, I was hooked for good. Having been rewarded with a betatester position has been a blast. BFC really does care about putting out a HIGH QUALITY product. As much as we complain and ask for new features and annoy them, they still really love to make us happy (and not just for the money!). CMBN will be their crowning achievement to-date and will show us all plenty of great action. It's only getting better from here, gentlemen! ;)

I usually lurk here and haven't been to the forum in well over a year but I just started playing CMSF again for the first time since before the Marines module came out and simply must say it is like playing totally different game, everything works as it should and runs nicely. It really feels like I''m playing the game as it was meant to be from the start. I even picked up the module bundle so that I can get all those new toys and campaigns. Seeing how well the engine runs now I simply can't wait for CMBN.