Panzerfaust/Shreck & Bazooka question

I was going to post this in the "specific gun sounds" thread but didn't want to take away attention from that post. I also love the sounds of all the different rifles and machine guns, especially of rocket type weapons. I really like how CMSF models rockets/RPGS and how they make a difference in a firefight. They are great at suppressing and taking out the enemy in buildings when small caliber rounds just ping off the walls harmlessly.

Since this is a WW2 game I wonder how Panzerfausts, Shrecks, bazookas, and rifle grenades are modeled in the game. Will infantry be able to use these weapons against soft targets/buildings? I hope they are not limited to use only against vehicles. In addition to the sounds of rifles and machine guns, I hope to hear the "whoosh" of pazerfausts being shot at a building, ect...

I can't say for sure but I am 90% confident they will be handled like in CMx2. If you order your infantry to target something, they will fire rockets at it and sometimes by themselves, but mostly at AFVs and infantry in hard cover.

Rifle grenades will likely be used similarly to 40mm grenades in CMSF.

A minor nit to pick, but the Panzerfaust, like all recoilless weapons makes more of a loud "bang" instead of any sort of "whoosh." :D

recoilless gun = tchoom

rocket launcher = pfwish

Based on my couple decades of first-hand experience with dozens of weapons types*. :P

* not true

sheesh - ok gents, give me a break:eek: I served 5 years in the US Marine Corps as a 2171 Electro Optics tech. I worked on the TOWII missle system, Dragon, and the trigger assemply for the SMAW as well. I'm quite familiar with the various sounds of modern day weapons and thought CMSF was close enough.

My concern for Normandy though is how infantry will use its rocket type of weapons, that they will only be able to be used in an anti-tank role. Does anyone know for sure how it will be modeled in the game? Don't you hope you can blow a whole in a wall with a panzerfaust, ect?

Is their a clear distinction in CMSF with HE and AP grenades regarding AI choosing targets, for example RPG rounds?

Do you mean HEAT and HE? If so then yes. There are also thermobaric (novel) explosives ( SMAW too among others).

But that does not stop the AI from using HEAT rounds against infantry if it runs out of HE. The Syrian AI loves to use RPGs against blue forces. Loves it! Particularly in MOUT. Man is it irritating.

But, as far as I know the bazooka, panzershreck and panzerfaust have only dedicated HEAT rounds. Otherwise the WW2 soldier would need his rifle grenade, mortars, or hand grenade for HE.

The recoilless rifles and rocket launchers that I've used and heard have caused an ear popping BLAM or KABOOM, not any puny swoosh or tchoom. Eg.

112mm APILAS

However, the firing in itself doesn't really cause any objective sound. Rather, the explosive burning causes huge sound waves to travel through the air, and how these waves sound in our ears depends on distance and also direction (as well as the acoustic properties of the surroundings). So someone nearby might hear BANG!!! while someone a kilometer away could be hearing scHBAANgg... A rocket fired in an open field would also sound different from one fired in a narrow city street.

The recoilless rifles and rocket launchers that I've used and heard have caused an ear popping BLAM or KABOOM, not any puny swoosh or tchoom.

In

the M72 makes what I would definitely call a tchoom sound. Or should I say TCHOOM. :P

But you're right, the sound of a weapon can be rather subjective, depending on location, distance, and a dozen other factors.

In
the M72 makes what I would definitely call a tchoom sound. Or should I say TCHOOM. :P

But you're right, the sound of a weapon can be rather subjective, depending on location, distance, and a dozen other factors.

This is what I'm talking about! Besides the various cool sounds they provide, I hope we will be able to use these weapons vs infantry and buildings and not just vehicles - it's just as simple as it looks!

Playing games like this our brains want to hear "Hollywood" sounds. A lifelong exposure to Hollywood movie mayhem has conditoned us to expect pistols to sound a certain way, rockets to sound a certain way, light sabers to sound certain way. Nevermind that the sound may have originally been created in a sound studio by rattling a metal sheet and crumpling a paper bad close to the microphone. Hollywood sounds are the expected sounds. If you're explecting a 'Blap' and instead hear a 'Thump' something sounds off even if its an actual recording. :)

Playing games like this our brains want to hear "Hollywood" sounds. A lifelong exposure to Hollywood movie mayhem has conditoned us to expect pistols to sound a certain way, rockets to sound a certain way, light sabers to sound certain way. Nevermind that the sound may have originally been created in a sound studio by rattling a metal sheet and crumpling a paper bad close to the microphone. Hollywood sounds are the expected sounds. If you're explecting a 'Blap' and instead hear a 'Thump' something sounds off even if its an actual recording. :)

the thread is slightly getting off my main topic. Forget about the sounds for now and answer me this; will the game allow us to use bazooka/panzerfaust type weapons against infantry and buildings?

will the game allow us to use bazooka/panzerfaust type weapons against infantry and buildings?

Since such is allowed in CM:SF, a CMx2 game, it's perfectly reasonable to reckon that such will likewise be allowed in CM:BN, also a CMx2 game.

Caveat: I'm no beta tester, and I can't claim to have the encyclopedic knowledge about ETO tactics and weapons-wielding like others on these boards have; but I don't see why BFC would disallow using anti-armor weapons against non-armor targets.