Specific gun sounds? Garand 'ping'?

Hi all

There are some finer points to gun sounds that I never really understood from CM:SF, but have always just guessed at.

So heres some questions:

1. Does each gun have a specific sound? I am pretty sure they do - but not positive. I know from CM:SF that stock gun sounds has (as far as I can tell) the same sound for a number of weapons (such as M4, M16 and M249), but then different for others (AK series, MG's and so on). So for CM:BN, will the Garand have its own firing sound as opposed to the BAR or Springfield? Or will the Garand have the same sound as the BAR and the Springfield? From that example, in use the Garand has a very distinct sound ('pop') as opposed to the BAR ('thud') and Springfield ('crack').

2. How much can you mod for gun sounds beyond stock? Is it as simple as replacing the sound file with your own for XX rifle? This is assuming that per above, each weapon has its own sound. I use AKD's sound mod for CM:SF and it sounds great, but again, as far as I can tell, many of the rifles sound the same.

3. Does the Garand get its 'ping' when the bloc clip ejects? :D I know this is a no brainer, but CMx2 tracks rounds fired per weapon right? Kind of hard to count with a SAW :D If the 'ping' is not included, would there be a way to mod it in? Such as the reloading sound or something?

Thanks in advance!

Chad

To question 1. All weapons have their own sounds. They're sorta obliged to. When you hear a 'brrrrrap!' sound coming from the far side of the map you need to be able to distinguish a MG34 from a M1919 Browing. :)

To question 2. I have no clue about sounds but 3rd party CMSF certainly exist.

3. 'PING!' (insert smileyface and thumbs-up here).

Okay, thanks Mike. Thats what I thought. Good to hear that each weapon will have its own sound.

So the ping is in! :D

This is a question for all weapons, but I will make it specific to the Garand: So does the program keep track of how many rounds have been fired from each weapon? So it knows when to make the ping sound for Bill as opposed to Bubba? In other words, in CM:AK there was a sound bite were there would be random 'pings' in combat, but thats all they were - random. My understanding is that in CMx2, the Garand 'ping' will not be random then, but will be associated with someone reloading.

I know someone is thinking that this is totally random and not needed, but it adds to the overall immersion hugely! I was playing a WWII RTS game (*cough* Close Combat *cough*) that didnt have the ping - it just felt wrong. Well, the entire game felt wrong, but the lack of the ping made it worse :D - ugh, . . . that . . . game . . . See what you make me resort to BFC while waiting for Normandy? :)

Thanks

Chad

Well, in CMSF you can count the muzzle flashes(or the shell casings, if your eyes are good enough or you use the zoom feature) and watch as he switches mags after 30 rds. Also, in CMSF you can watch the APC gunner open the hatch to reload the 40mm grenade launcher as it empties each ammo can.

So I think its safe to say you will get your ping after every 8 rds. :D Going to 1:1 on infantry has made the small arms QUITE detailed.

Most weapons have their own sounds, only a handful shared sounds. So you can swap in your own sounds. Only issue was the playback quality wasn't the greatest (when I say put in a sound file with a sharp rifle crack, it tends to be a bit duller in CMSF). Not too bad though, stuff still sounds decent.

It not a ping sound its a tsing sound :D But how I hate that clip sound when I payed Medal of Honor and a German came towards me ;)

Come to mention it, I cant think of a single non-FPS game where the ping was accurately modelled.

So if nothing else, BFC can claim that they have the most realistic non-shooter Garand *ping* simulator on the market!

:D

• 2 weeks later...