Misidentified Units Back In?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to see Americans identifying everything that they could not be positive of as a tiger ;)

Especially when they were hardly up against any in normandy ?

Anyways I did love that feature in the original games. I know its a tank, but what is it?

I would also love to see the communications differences between the allies and german armies to be included. IIRC the germans were well behind the americans in this area. Being less skilled at tank/infantry comms for instance and not really carry man portable radios commonly.

I was eyeing an osprey book on this very subject today.

The overhaul did not happen and will not happen for CM:BN. Like so many other things, it is a rather complicated and cascading feature to change. Instead of hacking some minor changes into place, which would probably take more time than they were worth, we've put this off for another day.

As has been said many times before, in many ways, the only people that underestimate how long it takes to make a game like this more than us is our customers. Together we make quite a team of dreamers :D

Steve

Crap!

Two things I REALLY wanted back was fires/flammers and misidents. Bummer. Double bummer.

EDIT: Well I hope at least we have nixxed the ability to ID the 3rd platoon AB HQ from across the map. I should not hope for such things though.

Makes me wonder what still made it in, with more than a year over schedule you'd expect them to throw in some easter eggs at least. Instead, everything seems cut because it takes too long to implement.

Makes me wonder what still made it in, with more than a year over schedule you'd expect them to throw in some easter eggs at least. Instead, everything seems cut because it takes too long to implement.

I'm not the only one hoping they are not telling us all the added features then?

Does seem too long a wait for what we are said to get. Oh well, QB Cherry Picking will appease me a bit. But so much stuff not going to be included is not really adding to my happiness. So much stuff that I assumed to have only missed inclusion in CMSF because of the pressure to release is not even going to make CM:N three years on.

I hope Phillip Culliton can start making his presence felt soon because Combat Mission is starting to fall behind my expectations. :(

I'm not the only one hoping they are not telling us all the added features then?

Does seem too long a wait for what we are said to get. Oh well, QB Cherry Picking will appease me a bit. But so much stuff not going to be included is not really adding to my happiness. So much stuff that I assumed to have only missed inclusion in CMSF because of the pressure to release is not even going to make CM:N three years on.

I hope Phillip Culliton can start making his presence felt soon because Combat Mission is starting to fall behind my expectations. :(

Exactly my thoughts. I was quite happy with the news about the second programmer and even the time delay was ok for me because it meant they'd implement all those features from CM. Right now it seems it's just CMSF with a different skin. A year for just the qb, water and bridges seems a whlote lot :P

That's a legitimate question. If you haven't had the chance yet go through this page of the CM:BN web site. http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=278&Itemid=461

It is a pretty long list and almost everything on it are features exclusive to CM:BN.

Why are people so fixating on the differences between CMx2 and creaky old CMBO? So CMx2 doesn't have kubelwagens being gameily mistaken for Tigers. That was a pretty lame 'feature' at the time, anyway. It doesn't have health crystals hidden under waterfalls either and I'm not complaining about that. I personally don't want them to turn CM:Normandy into CMBO redux. That series is ten years old now and after playing 3+ years on CMx2 its become pretty much unplayable. The fewer gamey CMx1 'features' the better.

Misidentification is not gamey IMHO if that is what you meant.

I would take a guess that if Steve and the gang have not come out directly and said something is in there or it is not on the website list than you have to pretty much know it wont be in CM:BN. Hoping that it is included but just not mentioned yet has been a fail for me 3 times now.

Still happy about the game but it does leave me wanting slightly.

Exactly my thoughts. I was quite happy with the news about the second programmer and even the time delay was ok for me because it meant they'd implement all those features from CM. Right now it seems it's just CMSF with a different skin. A year for just the qb, water and bridges seems a whlote lot :P

I appreciate your point; there's certainly some stuff I was hoping for in CMBN that sounds like it's not going to make it in, at least for a while.

But you are understating of the amount of new features in CMBN and frankly this isn't helping your argument. There's lots more new stuff besides "QB, Water and Bridges" that's been announced for the initial release of CMBN.

Personally, If I had to pick one, the unexpected new feature I'm happiest to see is the addition indirect fire capability for ALL on-map mortars and guns, including the ability to call in indirect fire from on-map assets via radio (assuming you have the C2 link). I bet it took quite a lot of coding and playtesting over this past year to get this one right, and I'll take this over Mis-IDed vehicles any day of the week.

The new flexible C2 modeling that lets you do stuff like attach a tank to an infantry platoon is pretty huge, too (esp. for WWII where the C2 generally slower, less flexible and less interconnected than what you see in modern NATO forces).

And there's other new stuff in CMBN was never in CMBO (or CMSF). Full graphical representation of carrying and wielding secondary weapons such as Fausts, being able to split a vehicle team from an infantry squad (to drive a vehicle or man a gun), Full bocage breach modeling, and infantry being able to fire from inside vehicles (which AIUI, first appeared in CM:A and has since been retrofitted to CMSF) are a few that come to mind of the top of my head.

... And exactly which new feature(s) that have been mentioned thus far do you see as equivalent to "health crystals under a waterfalls"?

I'm sure we all have different ideas of which game features are must haves, which are really important, which would be really nice, but not critical for initial release. But I hardly think any of the new features mentioned thus far are frivolous.

:rolleyes:

... And exactly which new feature(s) that have been mentioned thus far do you see as equivalent to "health crystals under a waterfalls"?

I'm sure we all have different ideas of which game features are must haves, which are really important, which would be really nice, but not critical for initial release. But I hardly think any of the new features mentioned thus far are frivolous.

:rolleyes:

Go ask MikeyD, who felt the need to drag the conversation down to that level.

I'm fine with this aspect.

The "fuzzy spotting" in CMx1 really wasn't that good. Sure, we had approximate vehicle types, but that's about it, the rest was pretty half-baken. Just for example the sound contacts that were off their actual position. But the sound contacts moved precisely in the same direction, with precise changes, as the real thing. So you just mapped the path the sound contact took to the terrain and you knew where the thing is.

In this case CMx1's capabilities might be overrated from selective memory.

Why are people so fixating on the differences between CMx2 and creaky old CMBO? So CMx2 doesn't have kubelwagens being gameily mistaken for Tigers. That was a pretty lame 'feature' at the time, anyway. It doesn't have health crystals hidden under waterfalls either and I'm not complaining about that. I personally don't want them to turn CM:Normandy into CMBO redux. That series is ten years old now and after playing 3+ years on CMx2 its become pretty much unplayable. The fewer gamey CMx1 'features' the better.

Now now, Mikey. One mans lameness is another mans game breaker.