PBEMy Awesomeness

Mord

Until recently I had played a total of two PBEMs, one in CMBO and one in CMAK. They were ok, but really didn't do much for me. A couple days after release Elvis invited me to play one in CM:A (it's on hold at the moment)...and Dietrich and I started one (CMSF) the other night. Man, you talk about a blast. What an entirely different experience a human makes. Matching wits with you...the sneakiness, the shifting of forces, the little surprises that pop up and make you crap your diaper...it is wicked.

You ever have that thing going on, where you are away from the comp, probably talking to your squeeze or listening to your boss run his chops about something...and your mind starts shifting to thoughts of how you are gonna take out that MG position, or how great it's gonna be when the arty strike you called on turn five shows up and flattens some punks hiding in a building? Well, when you are fighting another human and not just the AI...it's even worse...I am in a constant state of CMDD...waiting for that next turn and devising ways in my head of how I am gonna separate my enemy from his internal organs.

I know there's a lot of dudes here (posters and lurkers) that play single player exclusively...I was one of them, but I have to urge you, if you've never done it, try a PBEM...at least once. It'll change the whole game for you. And if you were a CMX1 PBEMer but haven't tried it yet...TRY IT...it's ten times better.

Mord.

LOL...well said Mord.:) I'm actually on the other side of this...I rarley play single player and have found most of my time in PBEM. It is not that I don't want to play single player, it is just haven't had the time with all the PBEM play. You find yourself thinking more carefully about moves when playing against another human.

We as a community, as PBEMers need to get some more organized tournaments going. IMHO of course.

Man, you talk about a blast. What an entirely different experience a human makes. Matching wits with you...the sneakiness, the shifting of forces, the little surprises that pop up and make you crap your diaper...it is wicked.

This is exactly what I have tried to tell you guys! Once you go PBEM you don't go back (to human vs. AI).

Until recently I had played a total of two PBEMs, one in CMBO and one in CMAK. They were ok, but really didn't do much for me. A couple days after release Elvis invited me to play one in CM:A (it's on hold at the moment)...and Dietrich and I started one (CMSF) the other night. Man, you talk about a blast. What an entirely different experience a human makes. Matching wits with you...the sneakiness, the shifting of forces, the little surprises that pop up and make you crap your diaper...it is wicked.

You ever have that thing going on, where you are away from the comp, probably talking to your squeeze or listening to your boss run his chops about something...and your mind starts shifting to thoughts of how you are gonna take out that MG position, or how great it's gonna be when the arty strike you called on turn five shows up and flattens some punks hiding in a building? Well, when you are fighting another human and not just the AI...it's even worse...I am in a constant state of CMDD...waiting for that next turn and devising ways in my head of how I am gonna separate my enemy from his internal organs.

I know there's a lot of dudes here (posters and lurkers) that play single player exclusively...I was one of them, but I have to urge you, if you've never done it, try a PBEM...at least once. It'll change the whole game for you. And if you were a CMX1 PBEMer but haven't tried it yet...TRY IT...it's ten times better.

Mord.

Well I keep bigging up another site Im on that has a healthy if small PBEM ladder.

http://worldatwar.eu/index.php?esid=e813e098c6c6bee42957f18de002a10c〈=3&refcode=0&location=intro

Youll get a game and even if your not into ladders its a good way to keep a record of the games youve played.

So, so true. I simply can't play single player any more. I just think 'what is the point' and give up even before deploying my troops. Playing against an opponent lets you try to see inside his head and win or lose I tend revel in the little victories.

I don't think I have ever jumped up from my computer and punched the air under any other circumstance than that vital 2000m ATGM shot or that perfect little ambush in CMSF PBEM :D

Well I keep bigging up another site Im on that has a healthy if small PBEM ladder.

Youll get a game and even if your not into ladders its a good way to keep a record of the games youve played.

I may give that a shot at some point...right now I am just dipping my toes. Though, I know I probably wouldn't get into Ladder playing...I like the idea of the record keeping, that's kinda cool.

@Ali Baba...I don't have anymore room for sig lines...LOL funny.

@ hcrof...I have had a few fist pumping moments but mostly I jump in the air and say the F word for about two minutes!

@ Boche and Toxic...I'd like to get a game in but unfortunately I am chock full with playing one, trying to test a scenario and doing some modding as of now...so, a rain check and good wishes in finding an opponent...that shouldn't be too hard.

Mord.

Well Mord if you are ever interested in a challenging game I would love to tangle with you in a PBEM. I too have difficulty getting motivated to play single player, although I've been forced to somewhat with Shock Force because all of my regular opponents are in the CMx1 Rules camp and can't be persuaded to make the switch. Since my computer is Vista I couldn't play CMx1 anymore so that's part of the reason why I got Shock Force. I have Afghanistan too now - or at least it's on the way.

My best game ever PBEM was one of the CD scenarios from CMAK. I don't remember what the name of the scenario was, but it was in Italy and the Germans were attacking my American defending force with some hills on one side of the map and a little river / creek thing splitting the center of the map. I had two forces - one on each side of the creek. I usually tell my opponent that they can select the side if I select the scenario or I can select the side if they select the scenario. Well this guy said he wanted to play German and he wanted me to pick the scenario :eek:. I asked him like three times if he was sure he wanted me to pick both the scenario and the side and he said yes. So he launches his attack with all his German tanks and halftracks and I wait with my AT guns hidden in the hills and trees (perfect L shaped ambush). He advances and advances and I wait and wait. He starts to get nervous and starts to wonder where I am. That's when I opened up. Total annihilation - His force auto surrendered about five minutes after I first opened fire. I didn't lose a single casualty - not a single man KIA or WIA. Damndest thing I ever participated in :).

Hey, I told him I didn't think the scenario was completely balanced and offered him command of the American side before we started, but he went forward as the German anyway. I must give credit where credit is due because he did finish the game up to the auto surrender rather than bail. Not many gamers would endure that kind of punishment without bailing so he had integrity. Unfortunately when I asked if he wanted to play another game he didn't respond ;).

For CMSF and Afghanistan I figure that I would prefer taking Syrian or Mujaheddin because they are going to be the underdog in most cases and I would prefer the challenge.

I play PBEM almost exclusively. I have games going on with four opponents right now in CMAK and owe two other people set-ups.

Sometimes, it can get a bit confusing with multiple games going. Especially if you have an enemy or two who don't send turns that frequently, (Looks meaningfully at dalem).

I've looked at maps in the middle of a game and thought, "I was going to do something scathingly brilliant here that was going to catch my opponent completely off guard, turn the tide of battle and basically show that I do indeed r0x0r. But I've forgotten just what it was I was going to do..."

I hate when that happens.

undercovergeek,

PBEM is WeGo by default. When it's your turn, you watch the last turn replay, then have an orders phase to command your units for the next turn, then CMSF creates a savegame and you send it to your opponent by mail (or file transfer of some other sort), who does the same. Rinse and repeat. Perfect for people on opposite sides of the pond. On the other hand, at a turn a day, larger battles can take a long time.

I now play CM-PBEM since years. Started wargaming with Close Combat 2 and Steel Panthers, recruited for CM with the Riesberg CMBO-Beta and joined the CM-PBEM front with CMBB, then CMAK and now CMSF and CMA. For CMSF and CMA I have now 4 opponents since 3 years (2x USA, 1x UK and one guy in Austria, who send daily their turn or more to me (+ Syrian defense camping testing for our Russian Kameraden)). All in all I have 5 pbem + 1 test battle against AI going on in the moment. It's daily routine to get up early and start the day with my CM turns. Only slight annoyance is, that CMx2 engine still has problems with graphic/memory, especially when alt-tabing to desktop to handle mail program.

Huge battles can take to play a month or two (or 3 ... or ... 5-6), but with time one gets used to plan ahead. And it teaches you to hold patience. Of course there are hard and frustrating moments. I remember to have used a weekend for setup and then a week or two for advancing in a well-thought-out defense position as Red SYR against Blue USMC only to see my plans pulverized by enemy CAS in 3 - 4 turns.

*** But on the other hand, all pain is forgotten on the days, when you sit in your armchair before the monitor with a Hannibal Smith "I love it when a plan comes together" - grin on your face... ***

hannibal.jpg

In real live, I remember to have known already as a little kid: "poor naive souls, who join an army - they will have to learn this lesson in this live".

Anyway, I've slayed the Red Dragon in Dungeon Master, played The Great Giana Sisters to the end and solved Wizardry 7. I've done it all. But there is no other computer game apart from Combat Mission PBEM which gives you THIS feeling.

...And I still have the feeling that I don't know all about CM. There is always room to improve your tactics. Best tip is to take time, go to the ground and think about what would be best for your Pixel-Truppen (and Pixel-mothers/wives) in the situation.

• 3 weeks later...