PBEMy Awesomeness

Mord

• 3 weeks later...

Hey folks, I have just broken my PBEM cherry. I am currently involved with a CMAK game going H2H, Sidi Redez I think, good stuff but no infantry, bummer for me. The time I spent at Ft. Benning taught me many things that I use in all CM versions all the time, I love the way this series plays. Anyways, I have CMBO, CMBB, CMAK, and CMSF/Marines/NATO if anyone is up for some H2H in any of these, I would be happy to oblige.

Stryker07@yahoo.com

A chore it is. I have finally come to blows in a CMAK PBEM I have going. Its been a week of trading turns and just today the first shots fired, but wasn't it worth the wait! I am still pacing the house trying to figure out what his strategy is, and what mine will be, great stuff!

Sadly I had to give up my PBEM addiction. I was recruited to test and have multiple builds going on for each thing I test and PBEMs were lost or misplaced and generally I was dreading sending out a file that had something that shouldn't be seen. Something had to give and it wasn't a hard decision really.

I know there are probably ways round this and those with super-duper pc management and administration skills can no doubt have 20 PBEM's going and still bankrupt small nations over a wet weekend for fun! Alas, I am not one of those gifted types :D

I'd be willing to play more PBEM if it wasn't so damn tedious to constantly move saved games to and from the CMSF folders. It's more of a chore than a game.

This is why i prefer RT play.

Dude! You can make it really easy for yourself.

1) Put shortcuts to the Incoming and Outgoing Folders on your desktop, then you can access them really quickly.

2) Put a shortcut to Incoming within the Outgoing folder and vice versa, just for convenience.

3) the best one of all: use firefox with the add on save link in folder

This allows you to assign your incoming folder as a destination. Then you can right click the pbem file that you're downloading and it will save it directly into the incoming folder.

See? Nothing is more than a click away! :D

No Excuses!

[Credit goes to Sergei for pointing out the fantastic addon]

@ Sivodsi - Great advise there, I got that program it after kicking over the old brain cells a few times I got it running perfectly, what a time saver this will be, seriously, makes PBEM almost automated!

- no problems; I hope tyrspawn tries it out.

Does anybody else have a good time saving setup for dealing with PBEMs?

I'm pretty sure my setup is as efficient as it gets, but I'd be interested in finding out how others do it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
H2H vs single player is like real sex versus ehmm..single player :) You should try it more often ;) CMx1 Tcp/ip remains perhaps the most vivid experience in 20 years of PC gaming. I can't say the same for CMSF due to the lack of Wego TCP/IP but real time is still fun.

that is a major disapointment tho, no TCP/IP WEGO....for CMSF...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there guys looking for some live play. Just installed CMSF 1.2 and looking for some live players. First you play by email. Thats ok. But nothing compares to live play there and then on a saturday afternoon thrashing out battalion attacks on a massive scale with a buddy. i played prolly 100 games like this on CMAK, but no 1 in proving grounds any miore.

Any takers?

• 3 weeks later...
I would also like to give PBEM a try. I have all the expansions, but would like to play as blue to begin with if anyone's interested?

(I'm UK based)

Well with a name like yours and a name like mine, I think we were meant to PBEM. :D

PM sent.

• 2 weeks later...