Things you are most looking forward to with regards CM:N

One thing that's going to be interesting is the 'modern conflict' sensibility abandoned. It'll be large numbers of rifle-armed men lacking body armor trying to push through a heavily defensed position. One criticism of CMSF was that the Blue casualites could sometimes get unrealistically high (blame bad generalship for that, not the game engine). There's no such thing as 'unrealistically high' in a theater of action that witnessed NCO casualty rates of 300%!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In CM:SF, if Blue were to suffer 30% casualties in a single battle (even if Red were to suffer 90% casualties), it would be a fiasco.

In CM:N, I reckon it'll be more like: "Well, we lost a third of our company, but we captured the objective and beat back a company-sized counterattack -- all in all, a good day!"

... One criticism of CMSF was that the Blue casualites could sometimes get unrealistically high (blame bad generalship for that, not the game engine). There's no such thing as 'unrealistically high' in a theater of action that witnessed NCO casualty rates of 300%!
The problem of 'unrealistic high casualties' is partially the timeframe of a CM battle. A CM battle is mostly compressed action. A CM battle that last for maybe one hour would take in reality a half day, maybe even more. If a US/UK/NAto commander would suffer only 5 dead or heavily wounded soldiers within 30 minutes, he would immidiately stop, withdraw and call for heavy support, his mama and the pope, while in CM you continue. You never have to fear that your pixeltruppen will simply disobey your orders when facing casualties.

n QB system able to generate well balanced battles

Engagement rules

Formation command

Ability to select multiple unit that move in a coordinated way when I give them a command (infantry and armours moving togheter)

P.S. I'd like to have these things in a CM:SF patch too :)

Seriously ... The last bit that is missing in CMAK.

- Formation commands .

- Group follow road .

- Infantry with armor arc only .

- Maps with geodesics .

The game Achtung Panzer: Kharkov 1943, has most of those.

But I agree that it would be great to see them in CM:N or follow ups.

Roads in AP:Kharkov are like hard wired waypoints that you can select a specific "move via road" key and you unit will head straight for the nearest road and then head in the general direction you direct them to.

It saves a bit on the micromanagement with waypoints as they can just follow the road for the same effect...!!!

Also, can we have or someone mod some blood into the game. :rolleyes:

Btw... Has the German Infantry been modelled + textured up to a decent stage that we could possible have a bone pic thrown to us soon?

Roads in AP:Kharkov are like hard wired waypoints that you can select a specific "move via road" key and you unit will head straight for the nearest road and then head in the general direction you direct them to. !

That's probably a lot easier to do when there is no scenario editor so the end user can't be all annoying and make their own maps.

The updated vehicle damage system.

Hopefully gun destroyed vehicles will be a lot more useful than in CMx1 in that they should hopefully still be able to fire their MGs even if the TC has bought it.

I know this example won't relate to CM:N but in a current CMAK game i had 3 grants gun destroyed, if this was CMx1 then they would still have one working gun.

I've got to chuckle. The board seems to have this tug-of-war between balance-of-forces people and overwhelming-firepower people. Its hard to do both at the same time. :)

As the game stands now you could frontload a scenario with lots and lots of BM-21 heavy artillery rockets! Theres two reasons why scenario designers don't do that, though. First: It will be as 'not fun' in CM:Normany as it is in CMSF ]to wipe out all opposition inside the first minute then walk to the objective over the charred copses of you enemies - that is if the game doesn't jump to the auto surrender screen first. Second reason: I've found over-using artillery rockets does a job at killing framerate. Not just while the rockets are falling, but the resulting hundreds of craters depressing the terrain mesh drives my framerate through the floor.

I'll admit, its a hoot to watch the mayhem in action, but that's good for three or four demonstrations before it gets old. Then you settle down to the business of tactical maneuver.

Second reason: I've found over-using artillery rockets does a job at killing framerate. Not just while the rockets are falling, but the resulting hundreds of craters depressing the terrain mesh drives my framerate through the floor.

That's a bit disturbing. If you've got a few platoons of infantry and some company mortars, plus a bit of DF HE and some off-table arty, you're looking, potentially at 'hundreds' of craters, without any significant prep barrage... and it chokes the engine? [frets]

Seriously ... The last bit that is missing in CMAK.

- Formation commands .

- Group follow road .

- Infantry with armor arc only .

- Maps with geodesics .

I'd love this, that way you could control several companies or a couple Battalions with formation commands and not feel like we are hearding sheep / micromanaging nightmare.

If we can't get a more dynamic or operational / strategic layer to enhance the campaign system. Maybe support for managing larger units would be nice.

The One thing im mostly looking forward is the Symetric Warfare and not the Overmodelled UBER US Forces F***** everthing :-D

I wouldn't say the US forces are overmodelled, in RL they do blow everything up, so it seems realistic to me. What does seem far fetched but might be allowed to for play balance is the uber accurate long distance RPGs the syrians have. This is the main reason a true blackhawk down senario can never be done with CMSF.

If your getting owned as a syrian player, you might be using them wrong. Syrians have plenty of ways to do damage.