Walking thru walls = instant exhaustion

My Syrian troops have gained a new ability: they can walk through walls! Half the squad just emerged from a tall wall near a tall building, and then start crawling across the road, the other half somehow creep between the wall and the building, and in the last instant of the turn get instantly exhausted.

I wanted to take screenshots, but for some reason prtscrn no longer works, and neither does irfanview Ctrl+C (this is the first time I've tried to take a screenshot since transferring to win7).

Its a pbem, so save game is available, or could someone tell me how to take a screenshot? It looks pretty cool.

If you use print screen it "copies" an image and you then have to go into something like paint and hit ctrl+v to paste the image.

Nope, this does not work with Vista/Win7. The only known way to take screenshots in-game of CMSF is to use FRAPs. The print screen button use to work like a charm in XP with CMx1 games.

I've seen my British troops get instantly exhausted in a couple of missions in the Brit campaign. One of them was "Aadra Adversity" and the other was "Going Downtown." In each case I had a "quick" order into a building that resulted in my troops getting instanty exhausted on the way.

I was playing in WEGO mode and, after watching the replay, reloaded a saved game from the previous turn and issued different "quick" orders that went to different spots and the issue didn't come up again.

Yeah, prntscrn and irfanview worked fine in XP, but its no go with my win7 machine.

Anyway, using fraps and then saving as jpgs worked fine enough - though if anybody knows any freeware that will save in jpg I'd be happy to know about it.

Enough blather! On with the screen shots!

First man melds through concrete:

walkthruwalls2.jpg

His companion joins him:

walkthruwalls4.jpg

Hmmm, that's interesting. It probably shouldn't happen, although I hesitate to call it a bug. After all, everyone knows time travel and multi-dimensional transportation can only be done with ORGANIC materials. Those mode should've popped out without clothing or weapons. Very odd, indeed.

:)

Ken

The Brits got their own testing going on and now those Syrians walking through walls will have to be more cautious of the Challengers with the same ability :)

CMShockForce2010-02-1421-47-23-42.jpg

The tank seemed confused around the destroyed buildings, so it decided to take a short cut through the first floor, instead of going around.

I've been following the thread: Can you tell me the name of the scen and where I may find it. First I'd like to see if I can duplicate any of what you are obviously seeing with the clean install of the game that I test/play with. It will help to rule out any mismatch of versions, corrupted mods, or install errors that may be giving your PBEM such gross pathing problems.

Dear Blackcat:

It is my understanding that Pathing errors like vehicles driving through buildings or troops walking through walls are now very specific bugs involving a set of placements, elevations, orders and timing (and lord knows what else) that can be addressed . Getting to that point requires:

1. Ruling out other factors like Mods or version mis-match, ect.

2. A save file that demonstrates the problem and recreating it before sending a bug report to BFC.

You and I thinking it is one thing or another just doesn't get the job done. But following a progressive process to discover if the game code is at fault and presenting as much empirical evidence to BFC seems to get the best results. Not pretty. Not easy. Not always successful. But it is the way PC game Bug hunting is generally done. ;)

As for my Challenger tank going through the building, it was in the scenario UK The Full Monty.I played it in single player and made an AAR for it also.

The glitch took place in the east part of the South Block area on map.I have no more saved games, because I just upgraded to Windows 7 and added a new Graphics card, so all old files are gone.I'm happy to say that I managed to reinstall CMSF and the Mods with no problem on my new system.I only wished that I remembered to save a copy of my Marines campaign game.

As for the movement command, I gave the Challenger a straight waypoint order to its spot on the other side of the building.At the time I didn't care if he chose to go left or right around the buildings so I did not lay down a clear path with multiple waypoints.I did have him close to the building and i also set the waypoint like that to see if he would go over the ruble.Instead of going around the buildings or over the ruble he from what I remember got hooked on the building and then went through the building.

That's the only time I ever saw a vehicle go through a building.

I haven't seen any troops go through tall walls like the original post shows in my games.Those are some really stealthy Syrians.

Regarding the vehicles moving through buildings, I think this happens when you buy and place units and then modify the map. I had the same issue and it went away when I deleted and rebought the units.

I've never noticed a unit go THROUGH a high wall, but I've seen units squeeze between the seam of a wall that abuts a (doorless) building wall if there is no other way to get to the waypoint (i.e. a compound with no other entrance). It's kind of odd -- they briefly enter the ground floor of the building as well (and can get shot in there). AFAIK, they will not do this, though, if they have a "legal" path they can take instead.

FWIW

I've been following the thread: Can you tell me the name of the scen and where I may find it. First I'd like to see if I can duplicate any of what you are obviously seeing with the clean install of the game that I test/play with. It will help to rule out any mismatch of versions, corrupted mods, or install errors that may be giving your PBEM such gross pathing problems.

e-mail sent

Mark Ezra,

Fair go, but I am only trying to help.

The time I saw this was very early on n my CMSF "career", so no mods etc., and in one of the Marine Missions (I can picture it, but cannot rememeber the name) I gave an order for a humvee to move from point A to point B without specifiying individual way-points to take it around a building that was in its direct path. When I watched the playback, being a WEGO player, I saw that the humvee drove straight through the building.

I thought it was funny at the time, but, as Print Screen doesn't work with Vista and I hadn't, then, been directed to Fraps, I just chalked it up to one of those odd things that happen when playing computer games.

Mark Ezra,

Fair go, but I am only trying to help.

I meant no offense, just laying out why I started my questions with "it's all your fault" Mods/mis-match version :D Just need to get that out of the way (the screen shot had Icon Mods) I've got the save files and will schedule some time to check them out. I will report back here. Your help is appreciated.