Combat Mission: Normandy, a good product needs TIME

Cid250

There are too many thread asking for the status of CM: Normandy.

My opinion is that the more that it takes, the better...

I still consider a lot of features in the old CMx1 aka CMBB or CMAK, better than the current CMSF.

If we want a CM: Normandy as good as the old games, they will need a lot of time in development.

They can't rush development and expect a good Quick Battle design. (and that's only an example).

CM: Normandy, needs to be much better than CMSF in a lot of areas, and a lot of development TIME is the only way.

CM: Normandy, needs to be much better than CMSF

There's not anything CM:Normandy 'needs' to be, besides being what the BFC guys want to produce. Its not their fault that some choose to nurture inflated expectations. You want to see flying monkeys in the game? You're guaranteed to be disappointed.

i hope though, that what they "want to produce" is in part based on what us customers want to play...

i happen to love both CMx1 and CMx2 i favor the quick battle unit purchasing option of CMx1 over the CMx2 quick battle system, and there are other pro's and cons, but i understand well enough that they are different games.

There are too many thread asking for the status of CM: Normandy.

My opinion is that the more that it takes, the better...

I still consider a lot of features in the old CMx1 aka CMBB or CMAK, better than the current CMSF.

If we want a CM: Normandy as good as the old games, they will need a lot of time in development.

They can't rush development and expect a good Quick Battle design. (and that's only an example).

CM: Normandy, needs to be much better than CMSF in a lot of areas, and a lot of development TIME is the only way.

captainobvious.jpg

:D

There's not anything CM:Normandy 'needs' to be, besides being what the BFC guys want to produce. Its not their fault that some choose to nurture inflated expectations. You want to see flying monkeys in the game? You're guaranteed to be disappointed.

I don't think wanting features that were in games BFC made a decade ago is too much to ask, or that that constitutes "inflated expectations".

I can understand you're a tad biased though ;).

Furthermore, BFC can do anything they want, they're free to release a game simulating virtual palm tree growing, but if they want to make sales they should listen to their customer base. I guarantee you they already lost some customers from the botched initial CMSF release.

And you started yet another one because...?

oh_really.gif

Michael

... there are many threads asking for bones and pushing towards an early release of the game.

My point is that i want just the oposite... i will be happy if CM: Normandy isn't released in 2010, because it means that they will have time to change a lot of thing to add more features to the CMSF "layer" and bring back some of the good old ideas "still" availabe in CMBB & CMAK that aren't here anymore (doesn't matter if they will change them to improve them, i'm not asking for a copy of the old QB system, but for a good design with lots of development time to betatest different approachs).

Cid250:

You might want to revise your signature as the Blue Bar was returned in patch v1.11. The sentiment's a bit redundant now. ;)

My signature isn't about the blue bar... i've pached my game, and i didn't played at all CMSF untill the blue bar was back, so... i know.

My signature is about both: TCP/IP WEGO & PBEM WEGO. Those are the most clever features ever done in a tactical game, and i will always support them, so my signature will keep unchanged until year 2058 or may be 2059 (just guessing my maximum lifetime here).

:)

CMBB manual, pg 8:

“Action in CMBB is paused to allow for player input. We feel it is conductive to players’ development of thoughtful and realistic strategies, rather than the “click fest” that some fully “real time” games can become.”

very unfortunate they lost their way in this regard. by now i dont care how long CM normandy will take, they may choose to go down the DukeNukeEm Forever route. next time i buy a CM product it will have TCPip WEGO with replay included. i am fed up with single player against AI :(

very unfortunate they lost their way in this regard. by now i dont care how long CM normandy will take, they may choose to go down the DukeNukeEm Forever route. next time i buy a CM product it will have TCPip WEGO with replay included. i am fed up with single player against AI :(

Lol, CMN is absolutely nowhere near the legendary status of DNF. I think that game was initially planned for release like 8 yrs ago. A game has to be delayed a minimum of 2 years for it to be even mentioned with DNF in the same breath. But if BF did go down that route they probably wouldn't make it that far, they'd go broke.

So I gather there is no turn-based mode with TCP/IP, just real time? I wouldn't know since I only play SP and PBEM.

Lol, CMN is absolutely nowhere near the legendary status of DNF. I think that game was initially planned for release like 8 yrs ago. A game has to be delayed a minimum of 2 years for it to be even mentioned with DNF in the same breath.

Like 82nd Airborne from Shrapnel...They've supposedly been working on it since 2000. Now there's a fan base that has a right to bitch.

Yeah, CMN isn't even in the same universe as Duke or 82nd. Considering it's the same engine as CMSF it doesn't even count as late, let alone Vapor.

Mord.

Lol, CMN is absolutely nowhere near the legendary status of DNF. I think that game was initially planned for release like 8 yrs ago. A game has to be delayed a minimum of 2 years for it to be even mentioned with DNF in the same breath. But if BF did go down that route they probably wouldn't make it that far, they'd go broke.

Fun fact: DNF was actually in development before CM:BO.

... there are many threads asking for bones and pushing towards an early release of the game.

My point is that i want just the oposite... i will be happy if CM: Normandy isn't released in 2010...

And my point was that it wasn't necessary to start a new thread to do that. Several posters wrote to the existing threads saying in essence the same thing that you do.

Now, having said that, I will shut up about it. I'm not mad at you and I don't want you to be unhappy about my comment. I'm sure you are a fine fellow and all. I was just reacting to an incongruity.

Michael