silly question about CM:"Normandy"

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even those 'in the know' don't really know. BFC's started a new practice of working on several compartmentalized projects concurrently, and getting much of the tedious 'grunt work' finished up front - no more rushing that last skin into the game just as the title goes gold. That means for all I know (and let me state up front I don't know much) the Normandy title may spring-forth fully formed, like Athena sprung for the forehead of Zeus! :eek:

Even those 'in the know' don't really know. BFC's started a new practice of working on several compartmentalized projects concurrently, and getting much of the tedious 'grunt work' finished up front - no more rushing that last skin into the game just as the title goes gold. That means for all I know (and let me state up front I don't know much) the Normandy title may spring-forth fully formed, like Athena sprung for the forehead of Zeus! :eek:

great news, thanks

Great news, I now expect greek mythology units in CM:N, I hope they model Zeus's lightning accurately.

Discounting that promo screenshot of a Tiger that caused some excitement a couple of months ago, I'd hazard that you'll see the WW2 title about 4-5 months after you see the first official screenshots. Personally, I suspect that it'll arrive sometime in September but that REALLY is just guessing. That's all anybody can give you just now.

I remember how Steve praised the advantages of the new CMx2 modular system with a release circle of 2-4 modules and one main title per year, IIRC. CMSF is out now for nearly 2 years and the only released main title + a single module in the CMx2 line. A second module is in the pipeline, but already behind sheduled release date (as always). ~10 years of experience as Battlefront customer has teached me to be not optimistic in regard of release (dates).

Indeed I would be more than surprised if we see more than one main title each second or third year, plus one module per year. There seem to be fundamental problems that we neither know nor understand, but we suffer from them anyway...

Keep in mind that so far, everything has been a first:

-CM:SF was the first game in the CMx2 series. It required a metric ton of patching, which delayed the progress of everything. CMx2 Normandy should not be that buggy, which should therefore reduce development time for the next CMx2.

-Marines was the first Module, and it again was delayed by the patching process.

-British Forces is the first Module to be produced not in-house, and I'm sure there was a ton of time taken in sorting that all out.

Do I believe that their timeline will be strictly adhered to from here on out? Of course not. There will always be problems that they have no way of foreseeing (this is the main thing I learned in university computer science classes), which will occupy a lot of their time. But I think things should get faster from here on out. :)

Scipio is unfortunately, correct. The supposedly truncated timeline for release of new products related to CMx2 has not seen fruition. Perhaps the development and release cycle will speed up as the engine matures, but based on the module wait times, the picture is still pretty cloudy.

Hopefully the wait will result in some very nice patching surprises like we saw in some of the other CMx2 versions. That way all CMSF customers will be faithfully rewarded and not just the customers of the new British module.

It will be done when it will be done. Frankly I am glad they took the time to get CMSF in working order first before they zipped along onto making modules for it. I've long ago realized that most games that are truly worth your time will never be on time.

I mean come on, when was the last time you saw Blizzard release a game ANYWHERE NEAR their touted release date?

There seem to be fundamental problems that we neither know nor understand, but we suffer from them anyway...

The only 'fundamental problem' really is an excess of expectations on the board. People resumed asking about CM Normandy three days after the Marine patch came out! BFC could've probably given us the basegame and three modules by now if only they'd stopped development at CMSF v1.03. And I think we're all happy we're currently playing v1.11 instead of v1.03. That's an amazing number of 'free' game patches from them.

If you want a lesson in patience go visit the Grognards board. Now that's a patient group of people! ;):D

The only 'fundamental problem' really is an excess of expectations on the board. People resumed asking about CM Normandy three days after the Marine patch came out! BFC could've probably given us the basegame and three modules by now if only they'd stopped development at CMSF v1.03. And I think we're all happy we're currently playing v1.11 instead of v1.03. That's an amazing number of 'free' game patches from them.

If you want a lesson in patience go visit the Grognards board. Now that's a patient group of people! ;):D

I don't know about you, but if CMSF stayed at v1.03 no way in hell would I have bought CM:Normandy. Not until they would have fixed all the problems at least, and that would have taken a year or two.