CM Normandy screenshot 2: French Resistance

tagge

"Sacre bleu! Invaders! Ay moost attaq zem uith ekstreem prejudees!"

I'm surprised no one has yet commented on the Surrender movement command. :rolleyes:

American 1: <grumbles> "The French...a bunch o' cheese-eatin' surrender monkeys!"

American 2: <trying to be conciliatory> "Still, they weren't Nazis*, at least."

* pronounced: NÄH-zees =P

DISCLAIMER: I think the French are okay, and I believe their reputation alluded to above is merely the result of the Germans being faster on their treads.

DISCLAIMER: I think the French are okay, and I believe their reputation alluded to above is merely the result of the Germans being faster on their treads.

Yep, french were only too confident in their supposedly invincible Maginot line, but most of their officers where quite competent. In fact if i'm not wrong Charles DeGaulle wrote a book that served as inspiration to the father of the german Bliztkireg, Heinz Guderian, who later wrote Achtung Panzer!. Both of them saw the incredible potential of the tanks and armored transports on the "modern" battlefield instead of relying on static fortifications.

By the way Achtung Panzer! is a quite enjoyable reading for all those tank lovers out there :D. I guess it has been translated to english, we spanish people had to wait a little longer (i bought it about 6 months ago :P).

Sorry for the off-topic ;)

"Sacre bleu! Invaders! Ay moost attaq zem uith ekstreem prejudees!"

I'm surprised no one has yet commented on the Surrender movement command. :rolleyes:

American 1: <grumbles> "The French...a bunch o' cheese-eatin' surrender monkeys!"

American 2: <trying to be conciliatory> "Still, they weren't Nazis*, at least."

* pronounced: NÄH-zees =P

Surrender? That's nothing. I thought that the Collaborate-button might be too much... :-)

BTW, I love the french. And the swedes too.

Yep, french were only too confident in their supposedly invincible Maginot line, but most of their officers where quite competent. In fact if i'm not wrong Charles DeGaulle wrote a book that served as inspiration to the father of the german Bliztkireg, Heinz Guderian, who later wrote Achtung Panzer!. Both of them saw the incredible potential of the tanks and armored transports on the "modern" battlefield instead of relying on static fortifications.

And French reservists really were bottom quality, lacking training (they had time while in fortification line but it wasn't used), they didn't have morale and that little was suffering from long time of hanging around in fortification line, they didnt' have weapons (AT and AA severly lacking). Communists supported Nazi-Germany (by wish of Soviets) and ruined whole lot of AT-guns and AA-gun during process in factories, i believe 25-30% of year's production. Communism as a whole was increasing society's friction. German air-superiority and Stukas were used skilfully, refugees blocking roads etc. Could say that Germans just were far too superious in all aspects.

Regular troops are said to be able to fight well with what they had. In fact DeGaulle's tank-unit was raging just 2 kilometers away from Guderian's commandpost during their short counterattack at some point of time. :D

EDIT: Oh! sorry for not throwing some dry joke. Well i will try:

Foreign Arsehole: You French can't fight!

French: Oh yes we can!

Foreign Arsehole: Name even one unit!

French: French Foreign Legion

Surrender? That's nothing. I thought that the Collaborate-button might be too much... :-)

Too much, yes, but only because the unit in question is a lone Maquis. If the unit in question were a 'spy' from Marseille, however.... ;)

This does make me wonder if it would be worth it to Battlefront to eventually add the French and Poles to CM Normandy like they did to CMBO. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Poles would use the same TO & E as Commomwealth forces and the French would be the same as the US Army. All they would really need is new voices and small changes to the skins. Doing the voices wouldn't be a small task but would it be enough to justify a module that would sell?

OK, I have to throw this one out.

Q: Why is the Champs-Elysees lined with trees?

A: So the German army can march in the shade.

All joking aside, now the French Foreign Legion has got to be one of the best trained units in the world. Not only do they start as regular or veterans but the training they go through is pure hell. I watched a show on Discovery on their training in French Guiana and it puts others to shame.