BIG announcement

Mord

Sorry to put this here but I figured it was more likely to get read than if I put it in the GF, and in a round about way it's on topic.

Welp, at 39 I am in the midst of enlisting in the Army. I am hoping I can get into the Infantry. The recruiters seem to think, even at this age, that I have a chance. I hope they aren't just blowing smoke. My two practice tests were 53 and then 68...they are saying by the sounds of it, the line scores should cover it. I've gotta brush up on my math skills...been out of school for 22 years and man, the math gets rusty not having done anything but basic adding and subtracting in that time.

I am taking my ASVAB Friday and my Physical on Saturday...if they go well I'll be signing the papers the same day. I am looking to ship off to BCT in January, 'cause I wanna take 3 months to get into shape, so I don't drop dead the first day. Figure I'll live those three months as if I am in Basic, minus the screaming dudes in crew cuts. I always said I wanted to do something REALLY special for my Fortieth birthday, so it's looking like Basic is gonna be it.

In the end, if it all goes to plan, which will be a miracle if it does, I'll be visiting Afghanistan sometime next year or 2010...That ultimately will be up to the Army...but Afghanistan is what I am...AHEM...shooting for. It's gonna be a long road with lots of obstacles, the first being Friday and Saturday, but I am really hoping I can do it. I am scared as hell. It's a huge, HUUUUUUUGE change to make after having lived as a civilian all this time, but it's REALLY exciting too. I am especially pumped about getting to fire and learn all the weaponry. I am hoping I can do well...the sense of pride I am gonna have is gonna be bigger than anything I have ever done in my life.

So anyways, wish me luck!

Mord.

P.S. I hope I am not jinxing myself by writing this.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get your ASVAB score as high as you can, even if that means putting some time away to re-learn some math. With a low ASVAB score a lot of doors will be closed to you.

PS. Demand when you sign those papers, and don't get talked into anything, at least not without sleeping on it and getting a second, non-recruiter opinion. This is one of the few times you will have power over the Army. Use it wisely.

ETA II: I hope you have a damn hardy constitution. Infantry is going to be pretty freakin hard on a 40 year old.

Mord,

I wish you nothing but the best. Sure, it's going to be rough at times, but it's certainly possible. A lot of the guys I served with were in their 40's and they kept up with all of us young guys. Just do what you gotta do to get in shape.

From all of the posts of yours I've read, you're an intelligent guy. I don't think you'll have much trouble with the ASVAB. My practice score was 80 and I ended up with a real score of 91.

Anyhow, I appreciate your willingness to serve. I did 6 years and I'm very proud of it (if you haven't seen me brag constantly on this forum). It's a very honorable thing to do, if for the right reasons. Thanks.

Btw, my neighbor is trying to get into the Army, and I'll say the same thing to you that I said to him... "Don't let your recruiter screw you." Tell him what you want in exchange for your service, i.e., monetary signing bonuses, etc. Don't let him tell you that you have to be a mechanic if that is not what you want to do, because you'll be stuck doing it for X number of years.

That said, keep us posted on what is going on with you and the Aaaaarmy.

"Don't let your recruiter screw you."

First off let me start by congratulating you on your decision to enlist. I myself just came off recruiting duty in June of this year. I will tell you that I'd rather have been deployed to Iraq/Afghanistan for that same number of years. At least there you have a better idea of who the enemy is.

From what I've read you are doing this as more of an adventure/ change of pace/ fulfill a life long dream kind of thing? Correct me if I'm wrong. Mord you need to be very up front with your recruiter as to what you want. What I will tell you is that they can not begin to promise you anything until you asvab is knocked out. After that, then they can start talking jobs, bonuses, extra schools i.e. airborne/ranger/SF candidate.....Next you need to think of every question you can possibly think of to ask the man/woman you are working with. If you feel that he/she is giving you a raw deal on the whole thing, go to go army.com and look for the next closest recruiting station by area code or city and ask the recruiters at that station the same questions. By the sounds of your practice test scores and this is just going from experience, you'll probably score in the low 60's to high 70's. Which will qualify you for the Infantry pending the job vacancy exists. Most likely with that score you will also receive a bonus(disclaimer: A bonus is just that, do not be disappointed if the job you want does not come with a bonus).

Next comes the physical. You will probably stay the night at the meps hotel the night prior. Make sure to pack nice casual clothes, a non offensive t-shirt and jeans with no holes. Also make sure you wear close toed shoes and boxer or briefs underwear(beleive me there's a reason why this is briefed). When you arrive at the meps in the morning you will check in with the army liason. At this point they will pull your medical forms from you packet and send you to the control desk to get you checked in with the medical personnel. First things first, urinalysis and breathalyzer. After that you'll move from station to station going through vision, hearing, basic physical procedures, they'll draw blood for hiv testing purposes. Oh yeah Height and Weight is a big deal. Your recruiter should measure you up before scheduling you meps visit. Once you've cleared the physical, you will be sent to lunch. When you return the Guidance Counselor in the Army Guidance office will sit down with you(eventually :)) When you sit down with him he is going to ask you what you want to do, and then follow on questions will come to try to get the things you want in the least painful way possible, but basically at this point you need to tell him your desires. Once your contract has been finalized and digitally signed it will be printed out and you will be sent to do a security interview. Once the interview is completed you will be finger printed for more background checks. You will return to the army guidance office and await the swearing in ceremony. Pending on the officer doing the swearing in your wait could be extensive. Over all prepare to make a complete day of it. Meps is boring, and long, and boring, and long, and repetitive like this last line. Hurry up and wait. Your recruiter will brief you as what to expect down there and give you the ins and outs. Remember to listen very, very carefully to everything he tells you about meps as it's for your success during the process. If you have any questions mord, any at all feel free to PM me or just put it out here in this thread and i will respond as quickly as possible. Once again congratulations on your decision, hope to see you out here soon.

Some more random advice:

1. No alcohol prior to MEPS, not even mouth wash. If you blow above a 0.00 you can't do the physical (at least, that is what the MEPS lady said. She might have been blowing smoke up our ass).

2. Don't let the MEPS guy doing your contract (He won't be your personal recruiter.) talk you into anything on the spot, although he very well may pressure you into doing so.

3. I hope you can run. A very easy way to get bad attention in the infantry is to fall out of runs. If you can't run... start now.

4. Go Airborne. :D :D :D

Some more random advice:

1. No alcohol prior to MEPS, not even mouth wash. If you blow above a 0.00 you can't do the physical (at least, that is what the MEPS lady said. She might have been blowing smoke up our ass).

2. Don't let the MEPS guy doing your contract (He won't be your personal recruiter.) talk you into anything on the spot, although he very well may pressure you into doing so.

3. I hope you can run. A very easy way to get bad attention in the infantry is to fall out of runs. If you can't run... start now.

4. Go Airborne. :D :D :D

I think he's too old for Airborne. I want to say the cutoff age was 35 w/o a waiver...

Good luck, buddy! If you want Afghanistan for sure, then tell the Career Counselor (guy who does your paperwork at MEPS) that you want the 10th Mountain Division, and away you go!

Mord,

Thanks and best of luck. You'll like Benning, nothing but lazy afternoons in the Georgia sun, or freezing rain in your case, sipping mint tea on the porch swing. Then you wake up at 0330 to put another coat of wax on the floor before rolling out for PT.

If you can, drop this old Infantryman a line to let us know how you are doing. The only feeling that beat getting my blue cord and disks was the birth of my son.

Normal Dude is right, start running now, even if you are a total screwball, if you can run you will save yourself a world of hurt.

"Follow ME!"

Well, this is big news! Congratulations on your decision. Give us nearly 40 crowd someone to root for :D

Good to see the advice here. And from a former recruiter too! Couldn't ask for a better bunch to give you advice. Except for SgtM. When he was in the Army they were still riding around on horses and learning how to keep their powder horns from filling up with water. Me thinks the military has moved on since his time.

Steve

Mord,

Your tuggin on this har Gunny's heart strings. It makes me love this country even more seeing someone willing to serve her even in these trying times. Knowing that we have people that are still willing to put it on the line to serve. Makes me proud. You'll do fine, you've got a good head on your shoulders from what this community has seen. The Army is gonna get a fine Soldier and we all get a fine citizen in return. I'd go to "the Pit" with you anyday.

I thank you for your service.

Here's a "modified" Army version of Piehole. Hang it up, so you can get desensitized before boot. Oh, and get everything in writing from your recruiter:rolleyes: and don't cut your hair before like I did, let it grow give them something to shave or it'll be worse.

34ioi2c.jpg

2qu3o8h.jpg

25gfdvn.jpg

Semper Fi

Congrats bro,

Some more advice:

Like others have posted, "don't let the recruiter screw you".

The Army needs people bad, you hold all the cards here, get what you can now (choice of MOS, duty station, bounus, etc...)

You WILL NOT be able to change later, not untill you re-enlist.

Do not be fooled by "you can join to be a mechanic now, then transfer to infantry later".

Especially if they are selling a technical MOS like Commo, Mechanic, etc.. they won't spend all that money, time and training just to let you go Infantry a few years later.

(They tried that with me 15 years ago, waited 12 months to get the MOS I wanted, ARMOR!!)

PT, PT, PT, especially in the Infantry. Running and Ruck Marches (ouch, the knees).

Try to achieve 18 year old standards because that's who you'll be expected to keep up with.

The DS's at Benning will be tough and no slack. They WILL try to break you and make you fail.

Don't take it personal (Thick Skin!!), know that they are just doing their job, work with them not against them. (make sure the platoon is on time, correct uniform, etc..)

As an older guy you must ALWAYS mantain the highest standards (uniform, weapon, military bearing), the Drills will expect it and will label you a ****bag if you don't.

DO NOT become a "Barracks Lawyer", questioning the Drills behind their backs, etc...

Remember, you are going back to a highschool, locker room type of environment ruled by the 18-21 year old mentality. (I miss it :D)

Use your experience to keep the young guys in the platoon focused on graduation not on petty, personal squables. While trying not to be a "teachers pet".

("back in my day.....")

Your unit will be just as hard on you as the Drills were, if not worse.

I hate to say it, but unless you are in top notch physical shape, you probably won't get into a line platoon.

After 9/11 we had a bunch of over 30 guys join the unit and not one ended up in a tank crew, most were sent to BDE/BN/CO HQ.

Because you are older, you may be more valuable in HQ they carrying a rifle, especially if you have other skills the Commander can use, computers, mechanical, administrative, driving etc..

Don't let that affect your morale, be a team player, do the best job you can always.

(BN/CO HQ is basically frontline so no real difference there)

Good Luck!!!

Please post all questions.

What, you are supporting this banksters regime with your life? They laugh at you.

YES! They promised me a credit line at .05%...

@Normal Dude. Haven't you heard? 40 is the new 30!...I...hope

Yep, I am not gonna sign anything unless I am happy with it. I am working on the ASVAB score, not much time left, but if it's too low I was told I can retake it a month later. I couldn't put it off much longer because my guts have been killing me worrying over everything. I kept a lot of this to myself until I got the ball really rolling so it was eating me up. So far my family and friends are really pumped about it.

As far as jobs I really don't want anything else but infantry. I've worked many years of tree work, though not in a few years, and BCT and or an Infantry profession is probably handled much in the same way, mind over matter (outside of the possibility of being shot). I've worked with a bunch of guys that were a lot bigger and way stronger who couldn't do the same amount of work as me because their brains conquered them before they even got started. I am hoping with will and getting myself into shape before hand, I can handle it. It's been my experience, that if I forge ahead and just keep trying, and not dwelling on the crap parts, things can get accomplished. But yes, my age has worried me a little. I do however have one advantage the younger guys don't and that's that I've been out in the world and know how to act...it's pretty much like most jobs, do what your told when you are told and stay outta trouble....a lot of 18 years olds don't get that.

@ MissingInReality; Thanks brotha, appreciated!

@Seabee thanks for the vote of confidence and the kind words on my brain!

I have run into a few posts online where a couple guys my age were signing up and one that was even older. So, along with your experience with age-ed comrades LOL, that gives me some hope.

@Meade; Thanks very much, man.

@purpleheart23; My reasons for joining are many, some of what you listed are among them. But not really a change of pace...a change of life. Most of them are personal and not something I wanna say in public.

The guy I am working with is new, but between him and some others most of my questions have been answered. I really wasn't expecting much money, bonus or otherwise, but it hasn't really come up. From what I saw, I don't think Infantry guys get one anyway? Not sure? I basically just told him the only thing I am interested in was the Infantry.

Thanks for all the info, it adds to a lot to what I read at GoArmy and some other sites. I just hope they don't find anything I don't know about LOL. And I'll definitely take you up on your offer...nice to have a third party that's removed from the situation.

@Normal Dude; Ya, basically I am gonna show up to the Motel and sleep.

As far as the running and stuff, I have a three month plan I have been working on, It's not totally fleshed out but will be by Sunday. By the time I am ready to ship, BCT should be a bit easier on me than it would be without it. I've got a copy of the Army basic book too that shows the excercises and crap. I know it's gonna be hard regardless but I wanna be as prepared as possible.

@ Clavicula Nox; Yeah, I couldn't do airborne, it'd scare the crap outta me. I am not a heights guy, that 40 foot wall is gonna be scary for me...probably my biggest obstacle to overcome.

@Field Marshall Blucher; Thanks brotha!

@Sgt Mohammad; I'll definitely let you know how it goes. Right now, I just wanna get past this physical and test then I will finally know if I am in.

@Jon; I do agree with that. I was trying to hold off until I knew I was in for sure (reason for the jinx thing). I figured once I let all my friends and family know, it would help me when my spirits were down, knowing all those people are routing for me.

@Steve; LOL yeah man, everybody loves the underdog! And yes, lots of great advice here. Thanks bro.

@Mark; Thank you, very much appreciated.

@Huntarr; Thank you very much! I will do everything I can, to live up to those kind words. I am gonna print that picture out and put it on my door.

And as far as the hair thing LOL I have long hair so they'll have plenty to work with, though I think I'll make it look more normal before I get there.

Mord.

Thanks TC. And no worries about talking behind the DI's backs and the like. Most of what's gonna come out of my mouth will be positive. I sure won't bitch in front of anyone. I don't whine anyway because it annoys me when other punks do it and LOL I don't plan on doing anything that's gonna get me in trouble!

I am gonna do my best to be in the best shape possible and hopefully, I think I can keep up with the younger guys, time will tell.

I pretty much figured my age was gonna put a target on me...kinda like working for family, you're expected to function at a higher standard. As far as the DI's, I won't take it personal, it's their job to train me to stay alive.

Mord.

Mord,

Well done on volunteering for the military, the country needs more people like you. Here's my free advice, broken discussion areas for ease of use:

I. PHYSICAL STUFF

It's worth repeating: Get yourself into shape now. I would spend at least two hours a day doing it, and more if I could manage it. A 45 minute run and some pushups and situps every day may just allow you to cut it once you get into basic, but probably not.

You have some major advantages by being older than the average recruit, but physical is not one of them. With time, you can train your muscles to keep up with the teenagers. But your wind and ability to recover from physical work - unless you're some kind of genetic wierdo - is a good deal worse than the average 20-year-old. The time to build your wind, or more exactly your endurance, is now. Muscles you can get in shape in about a month more or less, but wind and stamina takes longer. There are plenty of PT programs you can use, the Internet is full of them, but the main thing is to do the work.

If it were me, I would do about an hour of wind sprints interspersed with sets of exercises or weights in the morning, then rest, and then another hour of jogging/running, with lots of stretches especially at the end. But whatever works for you and allows you to do the training, pretty much every day, is the best route. Take it easy in the beginning, you really need to be careful about injuring yourself. This is not to avoid pain and discomfort, but rather, if you have a pulled muscle that muscle is not going to get trained, until it gets better, and you have limited time to train.

Besides running 2 - 4 miles at good speed, you need to be able (obviously) to do situps, pushups, and pullups. I don't know how much free time you have, but if you can work out sets of those througout your day, above and beyond the two hours or so of proper training, that will help alot.

The goal must be continuous training as intense as you can get it without hurting yourself - and it's really critical to remember that as we get older our mental ability to force ourselves to do physical work can outstrip our body's ability to do the work. Once you get fit then you won't have to worry as much, but the ramp-up is now.

The bottom line here is not to be scared or intimidated or worried about the physical end of the equation. It's true you have an age disadvantage, but it is not a game killer and you are old enough to know that work can overcome disadvantages. So bear down and do the work.

II. MENTAL STUFF

As you are already guessing, you have with your life experience some real advantages over a bunch of kids 20 years old or less. One of the most important is that real life has taught you to listen to instructions and figure out the best way to do what you are told. Almost as important is fitting into a group of strangers in unfamiliar circumstances - you've done that every time you've changed jobs or gone to a party. Kids just out of high school are, socially-speaking, pretty much stupid and inept compared to you.

So, you are not going to be intimidated nearly as much by a drill sergeant yelling at you or demanding something ridiculous like change your clothes five times in two minutes. You are going to understand, intuitively, that at least in the initial stages of basic it's pretty dumb to try and stand out, get over, beat the system, or otherwise try and demonstrate the Army can't make you do what it wants to do. I bet you are going to be amazed, truly amazed, at how teenagers think they are the center of the world and how they are shocked when a drill sergeant isn't impressed with some teenager's opinion. Your policy in the beginning of basic I think should be just to be a good soldier, do the work as best you can.

I suspect very quickly on, not in the first days or couple of weeks but well before basic is over, a bunch of your fellow trainees are going to start looking to you for leadership, and I guarantee the drills will. You are older and in all human societies the older guy has at least some responsibility for taking charge, the Army is no different. Unless you are so sneaky or stupid that the drills decide you will be good for nothing but being a private - and the very fact you're posting here pretty much washes up that possibility - after the first super-harassment phase, probably 3 - 4 weeks, the drills are going to be watching you to see if you have it in you to "take charge", which in Basic is usually things like volunteering to clean the toilet if no one else wants to, or helping out the really stupid recruit with taking apart his rifle, or maybe harassing the platoon sadsack to button his shirt or get rid of those dangling threads or some other silliness that the Army declares is important, primarily to treach trainees to do whatever the Army says no matter how silly it is.

At your age, I think it will be impossible for you to stay off the radar on this. But at the same time unless you are Rambo incarnate the hard ass approach ("I'm the toughest most squared-away guy here so every one in this squad will do what I say or I will kick his ass") isn't going to work for you. I would say helping the weaker guys out, just being an asset rather than a problem for the group, is what you are going to be expected to do, so do it. You have about 20 years of real-life work experience, and as you know you don't have to be a genius to help a group of people do a job.

As an example, when I was going through basic I was far from a great soldier (constant sloppy uniform, frequent insubordination issues) but I had been lucky enough to have been taught riflery as a boy. So, that plus I was about 4-5 years older than the others made me sort of the platoon guru on things like trigger squeeze and sight picture and memorizing the bits of the M-16. I was of course secretly appalled these kids had barely any idea which end of a rifle was what, but in any case what happened with me was when the riflery phase rolled around it turned out I had useful knowledge, so all of a sudden my squad turned out to be the most squared-away in the platoon and the drills sudden laid off me.

There are about a million ways you can help out your fellow trainees being older and more experienced and all, and there are probably a million more you can do just because you can go out of your way to help out your buddy.

So although this bit has already gone on too long the basic advice is really simple: Don't try and be a low-profile trainee who's only worried about himself. Help out your buddies as best as you can, whenever you can. The system expects you to do it and your life ultimately will be alot easier if you do - although this does mean you are going to lose rest sometimes doing some one else's job or teaching some numbnuts 19-year-old something any moron could have learned, but the kid is a teenager so he doesn't want to learn.

III. YOUR CAREER IN THE GREEN MACHINE

I'll start out by repeating the advice of others: Know the options, ask questions, don't be intimidated into doing anything before you sign, and have as clear an idea as possible on what you're getting into. Avoid an information vacuum like the plague, letting a question or two slide because the recruiter seems like he's in a hurry can ruin your life for years, heck, in this day and age it could even get you killed.

If you want to go infantry, get the recruiter to tell you how long the training takes, what jobs you could get, and what jobs you could get forced into. That's critical, the Army once it owns you will try and place you where you want, but if they don't have an opening and you don't have a contract, they will quite legally put you where they decide they need you, and they have some pretty crappy jobs. You want to avoid being put into the pool of people that could get a crappy job. This means know what job you want, which jobs you can't get, and what you have to do to get the job you want.

Another thing to think about is, the Army can train you skills, and if you aren't going to make the military a career it might well be worth your while to think about what you want to be good at, once you get out. In this day and age the infantry still does the hardest work in wars, but the risk is shared out alot more, REMF guys get blown up in IEDs just as much as the infantry, maybe more. There are some excellent skills you can get in the Army that could be serious money once you get out, for instance helicopter mechanic, radar technician, comms engineer, etc. It's not the worst thing in the world to be 45 or so and have a skill that few people have, so you can write your own ticket for work for the rest of your life. Of course you have to balance that against adventure and being a combatant in a war, but the point is, maybe there is a war job that you could do that you could carry over as a marketable skill into civilian life.

What jobs are there? Well grasshopper, that's what the recruiter is for. Ask him, tell him in general terms what you want, and make him tell you the specific options. Recruiters from what I have seen really are not as sneaky as they are made out to be, after all, most of the people complaining about recruiters were stupid 19-year olds dealing with the first contract of their lives, so it's no surprise a teenager blames the recruiter for lack of information, when all the teenager had to do is ask.

You are older and smarter, so you ask, and don't be shy. Treat the recruiter like a car salesman - maybe he'll lie if you let him get away with it (although most won't) but if you ask almost all of the time you're going to get honest answers, as he can go to jail if you can prove - on paper - he lied. Likewise, you let him get away with leaving a critical piece of information out, or not mentioning an option, the guy is a salesman need to make a sale and 99 per cent of the time he'll steer the conversation to his advantage.

Like with a car, no promise is any good unless it's in a written contract. A recruiter can tell you "well, you'll get scouts (or whatever speciality you want) for sure", but "for sure" is close to worthless. Either it's in your contract in writing, or it's just advice that may or may not be true.

Again personal experience, when I went in I asked the questions and got what I could written in a contract, and when I signed I knew exactly what parts of my ideal Army career were not in the contract and were up to chance, and I even had a pretty good idea how the odds were on the chance part. As it worked out for me, I got not only exactly what was in the contract (OCS), but also what the recruiter told me "Well, we can't promise that, but unless you screw up somewhere almost for sure you'll get it." (Military intelligence branch and assignment to Germany).

Anyway, the Army is a huge organization and there are a ton of great jobs out there. Make the recruiter tell you about them. Don't say "I want to fight." Say "Maybe I want to fight, and maybe I want a good civilian job later on."

Yes, yes, I know, the point to joining the Army is supposedly fighting, therefore, only the combat arms are serious. But the point to this exercise for you, I think, is to survive, and if you are in your 40s maybe it's time for you to think about your future life more than a couple of weeks ahead.

Along those same lines, the Army is a terrific way to pay for higher education. They put me through grad school and now for the rest of my life I can tell people I went to an expensive Ivy League school I could otherwise never have afforded.

IV. UNIT ASSIGNMENT

This is a big deal and usually you don't have much direct control over it, but you do have some indirect influence. As a general thing in the Army - provided of course you're willing to risk your life - it's better to be in a standard combat unit rather than a higher-echelon support unit, and although you probably can't make a deal with the recruiter for a particular unit like Airborne or the Rangers.

These days the regular Army doesn't have many bad units, and at brigade level or low the standard of command and discipline is pretty uniform and pretty competent. Become a rifleman or a grenadier, you have an extremely high chance of getting assigned to one of those units, and if you volunteer you are pretty much guaranteed eventual duty in a combat zone with one of these units.

Find out the options with the recruiter, and play out some "what if" scenarios. Say "What if I wanted to be in a Stryker unit in Iraq? How do I do that?" Maybe it's worth it to try and find out some way into 25th Infantry Division, as they have Strykers and their home station is in Hawaii, a cool place to live. (Although as I understand it one brigade is in Alaska, so you might be taking chances here.) In any case, you lose nothing by asking the recruiter "Ok, maybe I want just to be an infantryman somewhere in 25th ID. How do I do that? Can I do that?"

Or, maybe you don't want duty in a combat zone. Well, you can skew things by becoming say a tanker, these days tanks are of limited use in the wars. So if you become a tanker, you slant things a bit away from war duty and towards stateside or Korea. Of course, as our own M1A1 on this forum has demonstrated, the Army is quite capable of turning a tanker into an MP and sending him to Iraq to knock on doors.

Which brings me to the other unit issue, learn at least a few of the jobs/units you really want to stay away from, and then ask the recruiter what are your chances of getting put into those jobs anyway. Your worst cases are your own, but standard "avoid this job" specialities might include unexploded ordnance technician, supply truck driver, or indeed military policeman. Much better to be in a combat unit that to do stuff like that.

When your recruiter is sick of your questioning, you'll know you're on the right track. Just use your maturity, make it clear to him it's not that you don't trust him per say, it's just that you're a grownup and grownups don't sign contracts without maximum information.

V. THE LAST BIT

My final piece of advice is, if you wind up in a war, don't worry about whether or not you can hack combat. You'll be fine, almost every one is. Just keep you wits about you - keep your eyes open and treat the unknown very seriously until you get some idea where the real dangers are. New guys have a tendency to make mistakes, and since you know that avoid anything that even smells like risk, until you develop instincts telling you what's safe and what isn't. You already know how to walk down a dangerous steet in a bad neighborhood, so it's not like you can't learn the same sort of skill for a war. But just remember, before you have learned self-preservation, you could do something dumb.

Jesus. I admire your commitment fella. Good luck.

The only advice I'd give is that I'd give anyone going into a new group of people:

Keep your mouth shut for the first few days until everyone has got past their trying-to-impress stage. Don't try and be the first to speak - try to be the last.

Put the group before yourself and let that dictate your actions - that's how you become a leader.

Get running. I've never been in the military but they seem to be rather keen on it.