Request for paint ball advice

Thomm

Don't get hit, it hurts.

I used to play regularly, but that was a while ago. Most stuff depends on where you play, against whom, what environment and what gear. Quite a difference between cheap CO2 powered rental-guns and electrically triggered O2 fueled monsters like the "Angel" in my old days.

Generally speaking:

1) Abide the safety rules, wear the mask where indicated, and barrel plug gets removed only on the field before the game starts.

2) Playing against novices and semi-regulars (not bloody newbies) I found that he who's least scared to get hit can usually score. Meaning if you let yourself get supressed easily by some paint knocking on your cover, you might as well shoot yourself. OTOH standing up and firing back often threw my foe into his cover wimpering.

3) Standing up is not a good idea, however - contrary to what most computer FPS shooters tell us, you want to look out of low cover left and right, not primary over it.

4) You'll be surprised at the lack of situational awarness on the field. If you never did anything similar and lack the experience, you'll likely not see or hear anyone from the enemy team until you get creamed. (My very first game: Run ahead, jump on the tower, get shot in the face before having ever seen an enemy mask).

5) For me this meant that the initial rush counted most when sorting out where the enemys went. Here again: Depending on the quality of markers and players you are facing, you have to decide how far you can make the first run before dropping into cover. He who dares wins, unless the others are great shots.

6) Communicate. I guess I annoyed some other team members some of the time, but I did religiously call out any enemy movement I spotted (unless it would give away my position by ear). If you have a team of loners who do not organize themself and share their situational awareness, you're dead.

7) Find your role and perfect it. I never was a really good shot (despite wielding a pretty decent Automag with O2 and long barrel) so what I ended up was being the lean, small runner who would rush to the front and then ninja it on the belly to the flag. If you are 40 pounds overweight and have a great gun, you may want to sit back and cover the others.

One disclaimer to add: Austrian Paint prices were about twice or three times as expensive as US prices. I guess that US games see a lot more paint flying in total, which means more supression, less chances to take.

Ah, I completely overlooked the fact that you're here from my town. Well, then my stuff certainly applies.

I found this here: http://www.paintball-pilot.de/spielfelder.php?feld=Wien&content=details with one picture.

So you're playing an Indoor range with completely artificial cover, and likely reduced marker speed (200FPS vs. 300FPS we used to run outdoors). That means even less range and precision on the shots (and markers in general are not sniper rifles)

Back in the old days (up to 2000 or so when I used to play) rented guns were CO2 based Tippmans, very low quality. Nowadays I've seen very good entry-level guns being rented out, which will not "cut" the paintball when firing rapidly (on some guns, if you are working the trigger too fast but not full range, or when the loader can't keep up feeding, you have a barrel full of wet paint - forget it then).

That means your game will be fast, close and personal, and you can make quite a bit of way in the initial rush without being too afraid of hits. Flanking is key, direct shootouts front to front are never a good idea in this setup, unless you can scare the other guy enough to get his head down so you can move. Your team wants to hold one half of the field (left right) and agressively push the other side, that's what I did with beginner groups - if your friends are more experienced, it can get more complicated.

What Brian said is right - your thighs will be sore because normally you knee behind cover and lean left/right to look out of it.

Oh, and also very important: Close shots are bull**** outside of tournament paintball (quite painfull). So when you catch someone unaware five meters in front of you, call "Gotcha" instead of shooting him.

Last thing I can think off: Make sure your team gives some names to the cover setups around the field, so you can communicate easier where the enemy is and where you are headed. At Wr. Neustadt, we had a position called "Elvis" for some odd reason...

To reinforce what I said above: Against intermediate or newbie guys, I was constantly surprised how far some guts will get you. Learn to slide into cover like a madman, and run further and faster than they expect you - don't let yourself get pinned and shoot back like mad to force their heads down, then run some more. Agressive and daring play won most of our games.

Bring enough water, paper towels (and a fine water sprayer, if you can find one, for cleaning the mask glass) and have fun!

My advice:

1) Don't get shot in the face or the ear.

2) Suppression fire is your friend.

3) Make sure you can reload quickly, a good hopper is a full hopper.

4) Carry a lot of extra ammo.

5) If you are playing a team game, make sure you have a plan.

6) If your marker is low velocity (200fps) it's a good idea to aim above your target at any range longer than 25 meters.

Don't forget to have fun.

That is all.

Hehe Slim, in Austria it is very uncommon outside of real tournaments to carry pods with additional ammo. At about 60 US Cent a shot you figure out why ;)

Not uncommon to see the cover man of a real tournament team getting reimbursed by teammates for the ammo expended - which was usually the only guy to carry loads of extra.

I remember full-day games (with rotating "respawns") where we were trying to resupply some good players in frontmost positions... many a thrown pod that opened upon impact.

Ah, good point Thomm: Don't load dirty or old paint. If it falls down into the sand or muck, you don't want it in the loader anymore. You can always get close and "knife" (gotcha!) someone, that guy doesn't necessarily know you are empty.

1. If out doors wear cammo gear, with layers under it to pad against hits.

2. Wear a helmet if you have one.

3. Move as fast as you can as often as you can.

4. You can actually dodge incomming rounds at ranges of over 20 meters. give it a try and lead your targets with both distance and elevation.

5. Little kids are the hardest targets. Make sure they are on your side if you can.

e

Wear a cup. You are not supposed to get one in the junk but some ass took a cheap shot when I was walking off the field, gun over my head. It hurt like a mother. But it was a nice shot, guy must have been 100 yards away.

I got hit in the nuts last year. It not only took me out of the game, I was done for the day. In fact, I wasn't doing a whole lot of moving around the next day either. When I got home and checked myself out my sack was actually oozing blood. After that day the two guys I play the most often with both went out and bought cups. I'm still running around cupless though. I figure the odds are not good that I'll get hit there again any time soon.

Oh, and also very important: Close shots are bull**** outside of tournament paintball (quite painfull). So when you catch someone unaware five meters in front of you, call "Gotcha" instead of shooting him.

No mate

Ignore this bit.

I find that i'm too pumped up to even think about saying anything.If your close then give them a few more shoots just to make sure :P After all how many times can you legally shot some one?

The first time i went i couldn't even walk down stairs the next day(and i was around 21 the first time i played)

I got hit in the nuts last year. It not only took me out of the game, I was done for the day. In fact, I wasn't doing a whole lot of moving around the next day either. When I got home and checked myself out my sack was actually oozing blood. After that day the two guys I play the most often with both went out and bought cups. I'm still running around cupless though. I figure the odds are not good that I'll get hit there again any time soon.

I've only forgotten my cup one time. Sure as ****, it was the only time I got nailed there.

As others have noted, unless the weather is too hot wear an extra layer under your clothing to lessen the sting. This also helps keep paint off your car seat on the drive home.

If you are hit make sure you call out loudly and hold your gun up as you walk off the field. NEVER take your mask off until you are completely off the field.

Beyond that, it sounds like you will be playing on an indoor field, which I never have. Here in Wyoming it's always "woodsball".

Thomm,

Wear a face mask, not goggles, preferably with a do rag/scarf covering the neck to collar area. Catch one there, and you'll know why. Put your collar up and button it. Wear an undershirt, and make sure your top garment has long sleeves. Consider gloves or half gloves. Be glad the field velocity limit is 200 fps, instead of 300. The latter not only leaves bruises that can last for weeks but will even tear skin and light clothing. Agree regarding the cup. I heard of a case in which someone took one right in the scrotum, and the ball ripped through his cammies, undergarment, and the sac skin, requiring a hospital trip. The victim was unexpectedly encountered while hiding in a bush, sitting in it, legs wide akimbo, by a startled, scared standing foe. Phutt! Phuttt! Phutt! Aieeee!!! Range was under 10 feet.

As they say in boxing, "Protect yourself at all times." NEVER remove eye protection without a referee's direction, and if you do, do so in cover, hunkered down and faced away from incoming fire. Eyes are hard to come by, and paintballs well exceed the wounding criteria for them. Also, be advised that cold paintballs don't break as well as warm ones, hence hold together longer and hurt more. Certain warped types have even been known to chill their ammo, ostensibly for better in-weapon functioning; in practice, because they like dishing out pain. Very galling and painful to get hit a bunch of times, all for one paintball hit that counts. If playing against constant air weapons, this can ruin your day. We played before such things became common, with pump action "Uzis" and NelSpot pistols, stuff that ran on spritzer type CO2 cartridges.

It's terrific, tension draining, adrenaline pumping, focus on nothing else exercise. Have fun!

Regards,

John Kettler

I've played paintball I think 3 times (full day outings), but the 1st two were much more memorable.

I think the biggest variable in enjoyment for me was that for my 2nd game, I had bought my own mask which fogged up much less than the rented mask of the 1st outing. It's hard enough to see with a mask on; much worse, with one that fogs up in about 10 seconds once you're running around.

1st outing: rented all equipment, gun, mask, bought a modest supply of paintballs. Played about 15 on 15 in a forested setting (Coram Paintball, Long Island). Had some fun, but was very frustrated about poor visibility from fogged mask. Rented gun was not accurate and may have suffered from low ball velocity from clogs due to bits of dirt or pre-exploded paintballs. Or, the gun just sucked anyway (or had a weak cartridge).

2nd outing: had read a lot more about military tactics and what-not, and bought my own mask (but not gun... the mask was maybe $30, and guns are far more than that). bought about 2x the amount of paintballs, and 2 paint grenades.

The first course we played that day was a 'capture the flag' course... there was a primitive small building in the middle, and the flag was hung just beyond that. Both sides are supposed to go in and get the flag and take it back to their base (or just shoot everyone on the other side to win). In the direction I was going, there was a small hill to the right about 30 yards away. So I decided to make a mad dash for it (I'm NOT fast!)... I got about halfway there before getting shot twice, once in the stomach, and once (painfully!) in the left nipple. Nothing like being overconfident with new tactical knowledge, and taking 10 steps before getting blasted in the nipple.

BUT... we then reversed sides, and I took the left side, where there was a decent sized hill close to our left. I moved up there, didn't advance too far, tried to wait for a chance to make a difference, which was tough since I was having trouble with my shooting accuracy (crappy rental gun). After quite awhile, I was able to scoot quite far down the (relatively open!) course, as I guess the enemy were busy engaging other targets. I was able to get all the way into their back left corner, then started to work my way towards the middle... and ultimately ran up behind one enemy and 'surrendered' him from his 6'o'clock. Then in front of me were the last 3 enemy in the house, but facing away from me, shooting at my side's base. I should have just run at them full speed and yelled surrender from 5 ft away, but instead I opened fire, killed 1 of them, but one of the remaining 2 finally realized where the fire was coming from and turned and killed me. It could have turned out better, but that one battle more or less satisfied me for a lifetime of paintballing (considering I only played 3 times before giving it up).

MY first paintball experience brought home to me the sheer randomness of what could happen on a battlefield. First field, we were attacking. Whistle goes. Start to run. Before I had gone three steps I was hit in the chest by more or less random shots at extreme range blind fired by some fellow nervous noob. The greatest warrior of all time was out of the picture.

Later in the day I was well behind cover when I got hit in the foot by a guy from an accidental discharge from one of my own team. So many ways to die....

What John said is important - I always played with a long-neck pullover, but the material in total should not be thick enough to make balls bounce off (it happens with "Bomberjacken" regulary). You won't see anyone ever playing here with less than full face mask either, and you certainly won't get a plain google when renting.

Oh, and contrary to DASmans advice, most austrian paintball clubs do not allow cammo at all - too much similarities with Neo-Nazis "Wehrsportübungen".

Thomm,

Depending on the game being played, the field, the weapons, and any special rules, it can be anything from run and gun, to painstaking stalking, to long periods of nothing punctuated by absolute chaos. The last is from guarding a flag which suddenly is attacked. Usually, it's a mix of activities, a bunch of games will be played over much of a day, and you will emerge dirty, sweat drenched and exhilarated. I strongly recommend you bring towels to cover the seats, for you'll probably be a mess.

I agree with the comments on the briefness of game mortality, having been sniped at the start line myself by a guy equipped with a scoped, long barreled constant air rifle. We played at Malibu and were up against a pro team which refused to split up against us, so each team would be similarly equipped, and we had markedly inferior spritzer cartridge weapons. IOW, if we could get off 2-3 accurate long shots, they could fire hundreds. Call the fight nasty, brutish, short and one-sided. We thought they were jerks and never went to that field again, since the officials would do nothing to balance the equation.

More exciting were such activities as defending a hilltop while armed with a gravity fed weapon which had to have its muzzle elevated after every shot and the memorable day in which one of these Uzi things broke, leaving us one gun shy. My friend Jim Murphy, rather than sit out, volunteered to lead the squad unarmed. We were in tactical line, advancing from cover to cover amid scattered trees and fallen logs, under fire, ducking and dodging. Meanwhile, he is standing up, calmly identifying the positions of the enemy shooters and instantly bringing fire to bear on them by telling us where to shoot. We thought he was nuts, but soon realized that his actions were weirding out the foe, so we came up to assault posture ourselves and began a systematic wiping out of the opposition as our remorseless advance continued to crushing victory. Afterwards, his team and the losers were stunned at what had happened, for no one had ever seen anything like it. The air was thick with paintballs, but not a one found him!

Regards,

John Kettler

I played outdoors once (near Wr. Neustadt airfield btw). The standard CO2 rifles are very imprecise so don´t waste your ammo on trying to hit somebody >30m away (the paint balls won´t open anyway at that distance unless you they hit a hard surface).

I think the most important fun factor is the people you play against/with. have fun!

Mission accomplished!

A very interesting experience indeed!

The remark above about the "empty battlefield" was spot on. Unbelievable, how difficult it was to get a glimpse of the enemy fully knowing that they had to be at the other end of the field.

I had a great start, taking out five of the seven opponents in the first game. From then on it went downhill I have to confess. The others got better and better at aiming and the scatter of my gun got worse (or so it felt). Got hit many times, of course, with the most painful hit being one on the forehead! The family jewels got missed by ten centimeters. Phew!

All in all, I think every gamer has to do this once in his life to see how things play out in "reality". Getting hit right between the eyes (from across the field) without having seen a living thing right before makes you think twice before getting excited about war. Also, if it is possible to hit with this crappy markers, how much more costly must it be to fight MOUT with a real gun.

Thanks once more for the numerous answers!

Best regards,

Thomm